• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graduation and parents weekends are almost as lucrative as football weekends. Students in general make money for the local economy. Should we give all of them a cut?

Considering there's about 100 football players and about 50 of them who do most of the playing and generate what they do (200 million). Without doing the math, if the football players were entitled to a Camero the students (40k plus) would get a skate board wheel . Not the board, just a wheel. lol

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal breaker was the LHN. The two okie schools asked to join the PAC, and then Larry Scott wanted Texas as part of the deal and Texas said Texas Tech would have to come also. Larry Scott said yes to this but told Bevo they would have to share the LHN proceeds and Bevo said no way. If Scott had a brain he would have taken the two okie schools without Texas as part of the deal.

That's not the way I heard it. But yes the Pac should have taken the Okie schools for sure.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a fan or alum of Texas and you're going to try an tell me nobodys getting rich off of football? From over 200 million ? LOL.
I've been to Austin for a game week and game and if you have you know you're lying. Those hotels bars restaurants aren't getting full from students doing lab work.
The difference is in the pros they cut the money pie in half.

Have you ever run a business? Even a taco stand? Do you comprehend the difference between revenues and profit? Cash flow? You act like the sky just opens up on game days and the money falls from Heaven on these sports programs and the poor exploited slaves on the plantation are muddling around trying their best to pick up a few crumbs while The Man is making out like a bandit. Give it up. You just want to see people with talent on loan from God getting what they are "entitled" to get. 99.9% of the student body at any of these universities would gladly trade places with the athletes.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering there's about 100 football players and about 50 of them who do most of the playing and generate what they do (200 million). Without doing the math, if the football players were entitled to a Camero the students (40k plus) would get a skate board wheel . Not the board, just a wheel. lol

None of them should get anything for what local businesses profit. They are providing services to visitors in the town that are in demand. Those student athletes can start a restaurant with the education they received if they want that money.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing being looked over, the kids who people show up to see, make money for their athletic department, which in turn makes their student experience better than other colleges who don't have these superior athletes. They are absolutely being rewarded by choosing schools with nicer digs built by those who've come before them. An argument could be made certain student athletes don't get as much back as they put in, but that is where becoming a professional comes into play. Other student athletes wont ever be millionaires for playing a sport. So it's still plenty fair.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever run a business? Even a taco stand? Do you comprehend the difference between revenues and profit? Cash flow? You act like the sky just opens up on game days and the money falls from Heaven on these sports programs and the poor exploited slaves on the plantation are muddling around trying their best to pick up a few crumbs while The Man is making out like a bandit. Give it up. You just want to see people with talent on loan from God getting what they are "entitled" to get. 99.9% of the student body at any of these universities would gladly trade places with the athletes.
We would all trade places with pro athletes and take the money but we don't have that talent. These kids generate millions for the universities and yes the money gets moved around paying people except the actual to ones doing the work.There's a reason the highest paid person at most schools is the football coach.
As for your question .I've owned and ran my own business for over 20 years here in Southern California.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing being looked over, the kids who people show up to see, make money for their athletic department, which in turn makes their student experience better than other colleges who don't have these superior athletes. They are absolutely being rewarded by choosing schools with nicer digs built by those who've come before them. An argument could be made certain student athletes don't get as much back as they put in, but that is where becoming a professional comes into play. Other student athletes wont ever be millionaires for playing a sport. So it's still plenty fair.

The bill says for the athlete be compensated for the use of his likeness and name used to promote the school/team.
I'm amazed that people would not even give them that. I was in the bookstore at the stadium. They still sell KD basketball shirts.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would all trade places with pro athletes and take the money but we don't have that talent. These kids generate millions for the universities and yes the money gets moved around paying people except the actual to ones doing the work.There's a reason the highest paid person at most schools is the football coach.
As for your question .I've owned and ran my own business for over 20 years here in Southern California.

Then you know these athletic departments are not making "millions/billions" in profits and paying dividends to shareholders. The money is being reinvested back into the venture with salaries, facility upgrades, etc., etc. It's an arms race that has no end.......yet. In the meantime the players are still getting free educations and the potential that comes from being associated with major college sports programs. The one thing that really grilles my cheese is seeing these doofus assistant coaches knocking down huge salaries. I know a fair number of guys who have coached on the college level and they are rarely even half way smart. They can't even speak well and they are all living in a bubble. But that's life.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you know these athletic departments are not making "millions/billions" in profits and paying dividends to shareholders. The money is being reinvested back into the venture with salaries, facility upgrades, etc., etc. It's an arms race that has no end.......yet. In the meantime the players are still getting free educations and the potential that comes from being associated with major college sports programs. The one thing that really grilles my cheese is seeing these doofus assistant coaches knocking down huge salaries. I know a fair number of guys who have coached on the college level and they are rarely even half way smart. They can't even speak well and they are all living in a bubble. But that's life.

A lot of the athletes are pretty stupid too. Just an observation. :lol:

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really just looks like California politicians doing what they do.....making stupid decisions. If the NCAA says "no" then regardless of what the law says the Cali Pac schools will not buck the NCAA.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bill says for the athlete be compensated for the use of his likeness and name used to promote the school/team.
I'm amazed that people would not even give them that. I was in the bookstore at the stadium. They still sell KD basketball shirts.

I'll make a deal, any payment received for using their likeness when wearing their street clothes is good with me. If there is a single piece of University insignia involved, no deal. They are benefitting from their relationship with the University and most likely violating licensing agreements with the University.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes they are making millions. They are just spending it all just like if we made millions. We'd have a huge mortgage and a boat and a full time gardener and a pool guy and the country club dues. Them spending it all doesn't mean they didn't have the money.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really just looks like California politicians doing what they do.....making stupid decisions. If the NCAA says "no" then regardless of what the law says the Cali Pac schools will not buck the NCAA.
UCLA and Cal are public schools subject to California law.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are making millions. They are just spending it all just like if we made millions. We'd have a huge mortgage and a boat and a full time gardener and a pool guy and the country club dues. Them spending it all doesn't mean they didn't have the money.

They make the money so they can spend it to make their student athletes lives better and entertain their alumni base. The same alumni base that donates millions of dollars toward the student athletes as well.

It sounds to me like sports agents and apparel companies trying to make profits off student athletes they are currently not allowed to tap into legally.

This isn't about fairness, this is about a strong lobbying group in California pulling the wool over your eyes. I bet Nike, Addidas, Underarmour, and the big agents in California are all over this behind the scenes.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll make a deal, any payment received for using their likeness when wearing their street clothes is good with me. If there is a single piece of University insignia involved, no deal. They are benefitting from their relationship with the University and most likely violating licensing agreements with the University.
Yeah but when the school uses their likeness its in their jersey. When they sell a jersey it's got their name.
I would think that they could split just those sales. Jerseys , signed footballs that kinda thing and keep it in an account till they either graduate or leave for NFL or drop out.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, where do the Pac12 teams go if the conference implodes? IMO, it would be in their best interests to stay with the Pac12 and leave the NCAA.

Can you imagine if Oregon could just give free Nike products to every recruit it talks to? Go to the 16-17 year old high school kids and dump tons of gear on them. It wouldn't cost Nike a dime to do it. They could even offer the top recruits endorsement deals on the spot! Oregon would have such a HUGE advantage in recruiting, if they didn't have to follow the NCAA rules, and they could keep the network in tact and that tv money.

Shit, nobody watches Pac football now...why would it change if Oregon was Free Shoes U. If The NCAA still awards a National Championship and no Pac schools are involved very little has changed from the last 20 years.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They make the money so they can spend it to make their student athletes lives better and entertain their alumni base. The same alumni base that donates millions of dollars toward the student athletes as well.

It sounds to me like sports agents and apparel companies trying to make profits off student athletes they are currently not allowed to tap into legally.

This isn't about fairness, this is about a strong lobbying group in California pulling the wool over your eyes. I bet Nike, Addidas, Underarmour, and the big agents in California are all over this behind the scenes.

It would be the opposite. If the schools sharing revenue less would go to the agent under the table route.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but when the school uses their likeness its in their jersey. When they sell a jersey it's got their name.
I would think that they could split just those sales. Jerseys , signed footballs that kinda thing and keep it in an account till they either graduate or leave for NFL or drop out.

When did they start selling Jerseys with players names on them? I must have missed that.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be the opposite. If the schools sharing revenue less would go to the agent under the table route.

It's ridiculous to believe under the table money is more than open contracts with sports figures.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3