• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the past 5-6 years my season tickets come with photos of certain players in their jerseys. When you walk into the bookstore there's posters of players in their jerseys .
Game_Mens_Sam_Ehlinger_Texas_Longhorns_Nike_Mens_Football_College_Jersey_Orange-420-3447.jpg

That's because the University owns the rights to the images of their athletic events. Player names on jerseys is a different thing.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because the University owns the rights to the images of their athletic events. Player names on jerseys is a different thing.
I'm having an issue posting the pic of the QBs jersey but if you go to the school bookstore you can buy his jersey with his name on it.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right. It's happening regardless, so we shall see who backs down. I still think the NCAA makes major changes to keep the Pac12. Even if they don't, I think the Pac12 will keep most, if not all the schools. There would be too much of an advantage for them in recruiting top 100 players compared to those who are handcuffed by NCAA regulations.

If they managed to just get 30% of the top 100 players in the first 2-3 years, it would become a snowball in future years. The top players would definitely flaunt their new fortunes, and attract new players and transfers IMO. Top players attract a lot of endorsements, and tv money.

***sigh*** you don’t understand TV markets. NOBODY is watching a west coast only collegiate league of 10-12 teams that would have zero appeal because it’s a watered down college football product. Nobody is paying these kids any money unless there’s comparable ratings to what we have now. And let me assure you, it won’t be televised nationally. No TV audience equals no endorsements. You’re not thinking this thing through.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having an issue posting the pic of the QBs jersey but if you go to the school bookstore you can buy his jersey with his name on it.

I don't see how. The Ed O'Bannon case basically stopped even allowing jersey numbers to be used let alone names. Names were against NCAA rules even before that case was decided. It's possible something changed I'm not aware of. I haven't cared in a while to look at this.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a Power5 invite was given to Boise with the only catch to join is they would have to ditch the blue turf, would BSU do it? I almost think they wouldn't.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a Power5 invite was given to Boise with the only catch to join is they would have to ditch the blue turf, would BSU do it? I almost think they wouldn't.

Good question. I refuse to watch any home game Boise State plays on that ugly ass turf. I literally get a headache looking at it for too long. They could tone it down with blue hash lines or whatever on a green field. Maybe even have some blue in the end zones on a green grass field. But that 100% blue shit is horrific. If it was a condition to join a Power5 conference they would be fools to turn the invite. Fools.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting will only get better. How many of those Cali kids will want to stay home and play in front of crowds numbering 30,000 at best.
I refuse to believe you are this football ignorant.

Again, without trips to play in front of these kids and their families every year more of the high targets will look to national brands.

It is a flat out fact it would hurt Washington and Oregon a lot. The other big P5 brands would benefit.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drop title IX if you want to pay players. Stop propping up "sports" no one cares about and there'd be all kinds of money to do more for the kids bringing it in.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the states of Colorado and Washington are going to do the same as California.

California bill nearing passage could be domino that brings down NCAA's amateurism philosophy

With more states doing this, the NCAA will need to change their rules and allow athletes to make money of their own name & likeness.

I have no problem with this. If a kid is able to create & monetize their own YouTube channel, awesome (in the above linked article, see the example of UCLA gymnast Katelyn Ohashi getting 60 million YouTube views). If a kid is able to sell autographs, awesome. If Pepsi or Dodge wants to feature a kid in a commercial, awesome.

I guess it's the Libertarian side of me: let people make money off of themselves.

A lot of folks are overreacting. Companies are not going to be throwing money around like crazy...only a handful of the very popular athletes in the limelight are gonna make the big $$$. Most of the other kids will only be earning relatively modest amounts from their own YouTube Channels, autographs, and smaller local endorsement deals.

Let capitalism thrive in a capitalist society.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. I refuse to watch any home game Boise State plays on that ugly ass turf. I literally get a headache looking at it for too long. They could tone it down with blue hash lines or whatever on a green field. Maybe even have some blue in the end zones on a green grass field. But that 100% blue shit is horrific. If it was a condition to join a Power5 conference they would be fools to turn the invite. Fools.
I don't mind the blue field if BSU wears white or orange. It's the blue on blue that gives me a headache.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 should have taken Boise instead of WV. WV has stunk since joining the Big 12.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@belcherboy

Couple things:

RIGHT NOW, this is a California law. (Other states may try this as well but not yet) NOT a P12 law. If California passes this, the P12 is done unless other states start doing this because every other team isn’t going to stay in a conference were other teams can pay recruits while they can’t. That’s common sense.

If it’s just California, kids aren’t going to flock there to play the likes of San Jose st, San Diego st 3/4 times a year. Plus the NFL hasn’t changed their rules of 3 years out of high school.

If it’s just California, 85 kids aren’t going to be getting paid on each roster. It’ll be the top 15/20 which is bound to cause problems.

If it’s just California, no one will be competing with those California schools on the football field. Sure it might irritate coaches of missing a big recruit, but they won’t be facing them on the field.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 should have taken Boise instead of WV. WV has stunk since joining the Big 12.

They just have a Oklahoma problem. Other than that, they've been doing well for themselves.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the states of Colorado and Washington are going to do the same as California.

California bill nearing passage could be domino that brings down NCAA's amateurism philosophy

With more states doing this, the NCAA will need to change their rules and allow athletes to make money of their own name & likeness.

I have no problem with this. If a kid is able to create & monetize their own YouTube channel, awesome (in the above linked article, see the example of UCLA gymnast Katelyn Ohashi getting 60 million YouTube views). If a kid is able to sell autographs, awesome. If Pepsi or Dodge wants to feature a kid in a commercial, awesome.

I guess it's the Libertarian side of me: let people make money off of themselves.

A lot of folks are overreacting. Companies are not going to be throwing money around like crazy...only a handful of the very popular athletes in the limelight are gonna make the big $$$. Most of the other kids will only be earning relatively modest amounts from their own YouTube Channels, autographs, and smaller local endorsement deals.

Let capitalism thrive in a capitalist society.
Hmmm. I know how this goes and who is next then.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California, Washington, Oregon western Canada

Cascadia NOW