• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the states of Colorado and Washington are going to do the same as California.

California bill nearing passage could be domino that brings down NCAA's amateurism philosophy

With more states doing this, the NCAA will need to change their rules and allow athletes to make money of their own name & likeness.

I have no problem with this. If a kid is able to create & monetize their own YouTube channel, awesome (in the above linked article, see the example of UCLA gymnast Katelyn Ohashi getting 60 million YouTube views). If a kid is able to sell autographs, awesome. If Pepsi or Dodge wants to feature a kid in a commercial, awesome.

I guess it's the Libertarian side of me: let people make money off of themselves.

A lot of folks are overreacting. Companies are not going to be throwing money around like crazy...only a handful of the very popular athletes in the limelight are gonna make the big $$$. Most of the other kids will only be earning relatively modest amounts from their own YouTube Channels, autographs, and smaller local endorsement deals.

Let capitalism thrive in a capitalist society.

Sure, but it isn’t a libertarian issue. It’s you sign up to play college athletics and part of that agreement is to follow NCAA regardless of how dumb you may think they are. These athletes use the NCAA just as much as the NCAA uses them.

With this bill what is one legitimate argument for any university in California to offer any scholarship to any athlete? You would now have the ability to go sell yourself out to get money for meals, classes, spending money. Hell could even go down the route of go do bake sales to pay for your uniforms and travel expenses.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The root cause of all this isn't anything other than more fucking politics in sports. I don't care if you're a SJW or a stomp down, knuckles to the ground, tub thumping Evangelical.......stay out of my sports, assholes!

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those programs have no reason to leave the NCAA. Washington would be a school without a conference. They could easily find a conference to join, but why would you immediately leave?

Basically, this would give you an IMMEDIATE advantage in recruiting. Money, how often you can contact the athlete, heck even academic requirements could be changed.

Again, I may be wrong here, but I don't see how the NCAA won't be forced to change because of this.

This is why I posted my original question - what lasting impact does this have to the Cali schools? IMO - you can pay players all you want but if the NCAA machine deems those Cali schools ineligible because of their decision to pay players it doesn't matter. Those Cali football programs would die off.

At first I was thinking those schools could just go Independent status which they probably would try. But I do believe gobucks0409 is right on this. If the NCAA rules a program as ineligible because of whatever factor - that's it. Not saying it is right or wrong - I personally think they need a kick in the jimmy...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ball Brothers.

lol

Lonzo played at UCLA.

LiAngelo was never a high end athlete. He got a scholarship from UCLA so that Lonzo would go to UCLA and LaMelo would eventually go there too. He got kicked off the team.

LaMelo is still only 17 and has apparently signed a 2 year deal to play in Australia.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting will only get better. How many of those Cali kids will want to stay home and play in front of crowds numbering 30,000 at best.
ask UCLA

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the Chinese call football, most people in the U.S. call soccer. How many 280+ pound soccer players do you see? :dhd:

While most of the attention has been on the PAC schools, taking a moment to look at the broader picture the FBS would lose:

3 MWC--San Diego St., Fresno St., San Jose St.
2/4 PAC-12-- (depending on if the private schools would have to follow the law) Cal, USC, UCLA, Stanford

Assuming that the private schools would be out too, what you would likely see is a reorganization with the MWC becoming the 5th P5 by taking in some of the PAC refugees.

MWC would add Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., and either Utah or Colorado (with in-state rivals already in the MWC) to get to 14 teams, unless BYU wanted to return with the impending P5 status to take Utah or Colorado's place

That would leave the Arizona schools and the Utah/Colorado loser to find another conference. My guess is that the Big-12 would look at expanding to take in at least the Arizona schools, with maybe the Utah/Colorado loser ending up as an independent.
More likely Pac would bring over a couple and maintain P5 status than the way you outlined.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac-12 could have had Texas, OU and Ok State. The deal breaker was that Texas wouldn't go without Baylor and the Pac-12 said NO WAY to Baylor because its a 'religious' school.

For you guys who think they're going for BYU you'd better think again. Ain't gonna happen.
certain schools in California didnt want the religious schools. if those schools have no say things might be different now.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. I refuse to watch any home game Boise State plays on that ugly ass turf. I literally get a headache looking at it for too long. They could tone it down with blue hash lines or whatever on a green field. Maybe even have some blue in the end zones on a green grass field. But that 100% blue shit is horrific. If it was a condition to join a Power5 conference they would be fools to turn the invite. Fools.
this is the weirdest take. you get a head ache from the color blue? what is considered a cool and calming color? gives you a head ache? maybe turn the brightness on your tv down. do you get a headache looking at the ocean?
do you get headaches if kids are on your lawn?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I refuse to believe you are this football ignorant.

Again, without trips to play in front of these kids and their families every year more of the high targets will look to national brands.

It is a flat out fact it would hurt Washington and Oregon a lot. The other big P5 brands would benefit.
so your argument is that if Oregon or Washington arent going into California to play in front of California kids and families that those kids will look to other schools farther away who also arent going to California to play in front of these kids and their families?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having an issue posting the pic of the QBs jersey but if you go to the school bookstore you can buy his jersey with his name on it.
in all the years and for very jersey i have ever bought the only ones with names are the ones of players who have already left

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the blue field if BSU wears white or orange. It's the blue on blue that gives me a headache.
really? another blue gives me a headache? I work in the medical field and for all the people i talk to with headaches " i looked at something blue for too long" has never been put in a history

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 should have taken Boise instead of WV. WV has stunk since joining the Big 12.
i wouldnt say that. average but not stunk. i think 1 losing season. 1 10 win season. everything else 7 and 8 wins or so.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@belcherboy

Couple things:

RIGHT NOW, this is a California law. (Other states may try this as well but not yet) NOT a P12 law. If California passes this, the P12 is done unless other states start doing this because every other team isn’t going to stay in a conference were other teams can pay recruits while they can’t. That’s common sense.

If it’s just California, kids aren’t going to flock there to play the likes of San Jose st, San Diego st 3/4 times a year. Plus the NFL hasn’t changed their rules of 3 years out of high school.

If it’s just California, 85 kids aren’t going to be getting paid on each roster. It’ll be the top 15/20 which is bound to cause problems.

If it’s just California, no one will be competing with those California schools on the football field. Sure it might irritate coaches of missing a big recruit, but they won’t be facing them on the field.
people keep saying the other schools will leave. While USC might be the flag ship program 8 vs 4 pretty sure the california schools are the ones seeing the door not the other way.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? another blue gives me a headache? I work in the medical field and for all the people i talk to with headaches " i looked at something blue for too long" has never been put in a history
It's the full blue uniform against the blue field. It makes it tough to distinguish players from the field. It's not the color, as blue is soothing. It's a color superimposed against the same or similar color. I like the field in and of itself.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The root cause of all this isn't anything other than more fucking politics in sports. I don't care if you're a SJW or a stomp down, knuckles to the ground, tub thumping Evangelical.......stay out of my sports, assholes!
This ^^

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac-12 could have had Texas, OU and Ok State. The deal breaker was that Texas wouldn't go without Baylor and the Pac-12 said NO WAY to Baylor because its a 'religious' school.

For you guys who think they're going for BYU you'd better think again. Ain't gonna happen.
Pac-12 Expansion: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech About To Join The Conference?

Pac-12 Expansion: Texas Must Capitulate The Longhorn Network To Join

Pac-12 Expansion - Pacific Takes

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the weirdest take. you get a head ache from the color blue? what is considered a cool and calming color? gives you a head ache? maybe turn the brightness on your tv down. do you get a headache looking at the ocean?
do you get headaches if kids are on your lawn?

Come on, man. Who wants to look at a field that's the color of a baboon's ass?

iu