• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Byron Scott Fired

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From now until they actually announce the new head coach, literally EVERY available coach, or former Laker-turned-coach will be rumoured to be in consideration.

Fisher, Rambis, Shaw, Luke and even Phil were already mentioned.

I'll wait till I hear something from a reliable source!

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that being said though, I like this rumour the best: Lakers Rumors: Kevin Ollie Finds Lakers Coaching Job 'Intriguing' - Lakers Nation

Especially this quote from Wikipedia:

NBA player Kevin Durant in an interview with Grantland said that Kevin Ollie (who played for Oklahoma City Thunder in 2009-2010) "taught him the ropes", and "changed the culture of Oklahoma City". He also said, “Kevin Ollie, he was a game changer for us. I think he changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City. Just his mind set, professionalism, every single day. And we all watched that, and we all wanted to be like that. It rubbed off on Russell Westbrook, myself, Jeff Green, James Harden. And then everybody who comes through now, it’s the standard that you’ve got to live up to as a Thunder player. And it all started with Kevin Ollie.”

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers need to move on and forget about Cleveland's left overs. The name I've been hearing today, however is Kevin Ollie, former coach in college for Durant and Westbrook

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and after seeing what LeClown did with Blatt not too keen on him either. if he's that easy to push around we can't use him out here imo...

Difference though, is that this is a young team that is likely to listen to him. It's basically, the type of team he'd have had if Lebron had stayed in Miami. It really wasn't fair to Blatt. He took over a very young team and he and the team were supposed to grow and learn together. When Lebron decided to come back, he was suddenly coaching a title contender and he had no NBA experience.

If he came to the Lakers, he'd have a young team with no Lebron to fuck it up this time. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't think he'd be a bad choice.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference though, is that this is a young team that is likely to listen to him. It's basically, the type of team he'd have had if Lebron had stayed in Miami. It really wasn't fair to Blatt. He took over a very young team and he and the team were supposed to grow and learn together. When Lebron decided to come back, he was suddenly coaching a title contender and he had no NBA experience.

If he came to the Lakers, he'd have a young team with no Lebron to fuck it up this time.

For staters I do not want any of the following coaches

Brian Shaw, Kurt Rambis, Derek Fisher

My approach is that they would bring in the triangle offense which I believe is to slow for today's NBA and to complicated for these younger players who don't seem to be as smart as the guys like Shaq, Kobe and the others before them

I am not really a fan of Blatt because it was pretty obvious that Cleveland was headed to destruction and the wrong direction. I think the Lakers might want to wait and see what happens with Cleveland though because if they lose, then Lue will get blamed and fired and so far I like his approach to the game better then Blatt.

I have heard, however that the Lakers will most like have a head coach before the Lottery,

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For staters I do not want any of the following coaches

Brian Shaw, Kurt Rambis, Derek Fisher

My approach is that they would bring in the triangle offense which I believe is to slow for today's NBA and to complicated for these younger players who don't seem to be as smart as the guys like Shaq, Kobe and the others before them

I am not really a fan of Blatt because it was pretty obvious that Cleveland was headed to destruction and the wrong direction. I think the Lakers might want to wait and see what happens with Cleveland though because if they lose, then Lue will get blamed and fired and so far I like his approach to the game better then Blatt.

I have heard, however that the Lakers will most like have a head coach before the Lottery,

If the rumors that Luke is the first option are true, the earliest they can even talk to him would be Thursday (assuming GSW closes out the Rockets on Wednesday). Kerr said he can interview during the playoffs, but only between series.

There are still some interesting options out there too. Cowherd was saying today that Calipari would be perfect and Kevin Ollie is an intriguing possibility as well. Durant seems to really like him and has a ton of respect for him, so it would be interesting to see if hiring Ollie could lure KD.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From now until they actually announce the new head coach, literally EVERY available coach, or former Laker-turned-coach will be rumoured to be in consideration.

Fisher, Rambis, Shaw, Luke and even Phil were already mentioned.

I'll wait till I hear something from a reliable source!

Along with the ones you mentioned, you can add Calipari and Krzysweski courtesy of Cowherd.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors that Luke is the first option are true, the earliest they can even talk to him would be Thursday (assuming GSW closes out the Rockets on Wednesday). Kerr said he can interview during the playoffs, but only between series.

There are still some interesting options out there too. Cowherd was saying today that Calipari would be perfect and Kevin Ollie is an intriguing possibility as well. Durant seems to really like him and has a ton of respect for him, so it would be interesting to see if hiring Ollie could lure KD.
If Keven Durant doesn't bite on Ollie, then Westbrook the next year might take that bait and the Lakers have been rumored to wanting Whiteside - the problem is Scott set the Lakers back by being the second worst team in the NBA. If the Lakers had improved to 30 to 40 wins - I think free agents coming would have been almost a sure thing, but right now I am concerned that they won't see the Lakers as being ready

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Keven Durant doesn't bite on Ollie, then Westbrook the next year might take that bait and the Lakers have been rumored to wanting Whiteside - the problem is Scott set the Lakers back by being the second worst team in the NBA. If the Lakers had improved to 30 to 40 wins - I think free agents coming would have been almost a sure thing, but right now I am concerned that they won't see the Lakers as being ready

If the Lakers had won 30-40 games, they'd have no shot at keeping the #3 pick. As long as the Lakers don't screw up the coaching hire, they should still be able to attract FA's.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers had won 30-40 games, they'd have no shot at keeping the #3 pick. As long as the Lakers don't screw up the coaching hire, they should still be able to attract FA's.
Los Angeles Times stretched Jim Buss's self imposed deadline to the following: He will resign if he doesn't bring the team back in three to four years" - So the fix is already getting started for Jim to back away from his promise. That being said and done though - I think he deserves an extra two years to get it reasonable. I always thought that his three years was a little high in expectation

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers need to move on and forget about Cleveland's left overs. The name I've been hearing today, however is Kevin Ollie, former coach in college for Durant and Westbrook

If the Lakers don't want Blatt, they could go with Paul Silas. (Lebron's first NBA coach)

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers don't want Blatt, they could go with Paul Silas. (Lebron's first NBA coach)
Why do the Lakers need to go after a former coach of Lebron's? :noidea: Aren't there plenty of others?
At any rate the suggestions so far is Luke Walton or Kevin Ollie - they want some one who would be a good fit for the young players that are close to being college level and they need a teacher. In addition Ollie might represent an enticement for both Durant and Westbrook who played for him

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually if the Lakers had won 30 to 40 games, I think Scott would still be head coach - I don't think they expected miracles, but they did expect better then the second worst team in the entire NBA

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Times stretched Jim Buss's self imposed deadline to the following: He will resign if he doesn't bring the team back in three to four years" - So the fix is already getting started for Jim to back away from his promise. That being said and done though - I think he deserves an extra two years to get it reasonable. I always thought that his three years was a little high in expectation
ive read in a couple different places that you have to worry about that self imposed deadline with Jim Buss. The problem is- if that deadline is a hard deadline and his head is on the chopping block potentially he is going to make moves that are better in the short term but might not necesarily be the best for the long term health of the franchise. I think that if you are really going to give him a chance you need to let him see the rebuild through - or just be done with it-- because if you try and be in the middle it could end up costing the team when the goals of the general manager and the long term planning for the franchise are not in alignment.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive read in a couple different places that you have to worry about that self imposed deadline with Jim Buss. The problem is- if that deadline is a hard deadline and his head is on the chopping block potentially he is going to make moves that are better in the short term but might not necesarily be the best for the long term health of the franchise. I think that if you are really going to give him a chance you need to let him see the rebuild through - or just be done with it-- because if you try and be in the middle it could end up costing the team when the goals of the general manager and the long term planning for the franchise are not in alignment.
Personally I have never bought into the self imposed deadline, but I've also been in the position of working for the children of a business owned by the mom and dad. My personal experience is that it takes a few years for the kids to catch on and make the company what their parents or parent made it and sometimes they are never quite the same. That being said, I really think you have to give the guy a minimum of five years. Consider this - Jerry West and Buss took ten years to bring a championship back to Los Angeles after Magic Johnson retired, so is five years really all that long? It might seem that way, but it really isn't

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The deadline is so stupid. It was unrealistic to begin with and it just creating self imposed drama over nothing. Jim and Jeanie should just let it go. Jim should just say "I'm doing what I want" and Jeanie should just say "I don't care about it. I'll fire Jim whenever I feel its warranted" and be done with it. What's the worst that will happen if they reneg on it? Some Twitter butthurt. That's it. Well, that and Magic Johnson using his media friends (like Mike Wilbon and Stephen A) to trash Jim Buss to keep his hands clean.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deadline is so stupid. It was unrealistic to begin with and it just creating self imposed drama over nothing. Jim and Jeanie should just let it go. Jim should just say "I'm doing what I want" and Jeanie should just say "I don't care about it. I'll fire Jim whenever I feel its warranted" and be done with it. What's the worst that will happen if they reneg on it? Some Twitter butthurt. That's it. Well, that and Magic Johnson using his media friends (like Mike Wilbon and Stephen A) to trash Jim Buss to keep his hands clean.
Besides that - How many times have you seen some one in their profession, business, job become an expert in a short time. This is the problem with the NBA sometimes. Granted sometimes they need to be fired, but it takes time to develop coaches as well. In time Jeannie and Jim are going to learn how to run the team efficiently. It doesn't happen over night though

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeanie doesn't have the authority to fire Jim. Obviously it doesn't matter what we think -- it does matter what Jeanie/Jim think. This is from Jeanie a year ago:

Jeanie told KPCC radio:

"Well, I asked my brother, how long until we're back into contention? And when I say 'contention,' that means past the second round, so either the Western Conference Finals or the NBA Finals. And he told me that it would take three years to rebuild it. So we've just finished Year 1 of that three-years. So we have two more years until he feels that we'll be back into going past the second round in the playoffs."

Note that she left little wiggle room.