• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bye Week Chatter

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said before I'm not shocked the team is 0-4, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. I am surprised.

I've watched every game twice, except the MIN game...my 4 game observation/grade.

OFC...F...it's too easy to point to the OL, but everyone knows Ben brings some sacks on himself. Injury to Spaeth really exposed Paulson as a oneway player...D. Johnson I think can fill the Spaeth role. Turnovers have flat out killed them, and most of them are on Ben.

Now...the positives, Heath has looked good in his work load thus far...played 50+ snaps in the MIN game...now maybe Tomlin/Haley have finally come to grips that Dwyer and Redman are not good options behind this OL...Bell & F. Jones should be the go forward ball carriers. Sanders #s are down there with many of the top #3 WRs...MIN showed the OFC is coming around. With Miller & Bell getting more touch, could be a decent 12 game stretch...but, this is still a concern for me.

DEF...D...ranked 11th doesn't tell the whole story. Giving up way too many yds on the ground...also missing tackles and being out of position @ FS has caused some long runs. The lack of turnovers is concerning...the DL pressure has been there at times (CIN game they got good pressure most of the game), other times almost non existent. Further proof that it's a team game, the edge guys got upfield pressure against MIN but the interior guys had no push and Cassel had a good pocket to step up and buy time. Made the whole DL look crappy.

The zone blitz is not doing it and it really hasn't for a while. To get more pressure, I think LeBeau is going to need to gamble more with LB/S/CB overload type pressure...allow Allen & Taylor to play some bump-n-run with 1 high S. More risky, but gotta start getting some more heat on the QB.

ST...C...not hurting them nor are they making a huge difference in field position.

Coaching... D...I'm not sure how you coach a team through turnovers, but Tomlin has to be on Ben about ball security, reducing negative plays. OL play overall will improve just on experience @ LT...this change should shake up the team on some level also. Tomlin needs to continue that...Golden is the backup FS, but I'm expecting to see more of Shamarko Thomas @ FS if Clark's play does not improve immediately.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I won't talk about POs...but looking around the DIV...I can see why they pulled the plug on Adams so quickly. CLE knocking off CIN was a big game. Hoyer now out for the remainder...very solid on DEF, but I don't see them holding up...especially on the road. 3 tough ones in a row coming up, home to DET, then @ GB, & KC...we'll know a lot more about them after this stretch.

CIN...I knew the CLE gm would be close being on the rd in the DIV, but 6 points from that OFC? I'm not a Dalton guy really, but the OC has been a problem there for years...Gruden is no better.

BAL...much like PIT, trying to put a bunch of new guys in big roles on the team...I said losing Boldin/Pitta was huge...DL is still one of the best in the game, but behind them is not great...I think WR/TE is going to be a problem for them all year.

I said all that to say...chances are the DIV winner is the only one going anywhere...If these guys can fix their problems over @ 3400 S. Waters St...the season is not over.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody hear anything about the starting O-line yet this week??? i.e. is Ramon going to be able to play? Is Levi Brown worth starting already??? I'm eager to hear what the plan is. So far all I know is (via Labriola) that if Foster doesn't play then it's possible that they will try to start Levi Brown at LT and put Beachum at LG. The other option would be to start Beachum at LT and put Whimper at LG. Either option sounds very sketchy to me, so hopefully Foster can play. That would give us better options for LT. Bottom line, Adams' starting days are history.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody hear anything about the starting O-line yet this week??? i.e. is Ramon going to be able to play? Is Levi Brown worth starting already??? I'm eager to hear what the plan is. So far all I know is (via Labriola) that if Foster doesn't play then it's possible that they will try to start Levi Brown at LT and put Beachum at LG. The other option would be to start Beachum at LT and put Whimper at LG. Either option sounds very sketchy to me, so hopefully Foster can play. That would give us better options for LT. Bottom line, Adams' starting days are history.

Nothing official yet...one blogger I like, Dave Byran noted Foster thinks he will be able to play, but says it will be a coach decision.

If I had to guess...I think they will go with Brown @ LT, and Beachum @ LG if Foster is not ready to go.

imo the OL is not a big a problem as many believe...Brown should be an upgrade to Adams, but they let him go pretty cheap for a LT for a 5th overall guy...I'm not expecting a huge upgrade. Ben has to speed up his clock or he's going to continue to get sacked.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ben will do some damage behind a LT than can actually block (or at least get in the way for a few seconds unlike Adams). But we will see!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ben will do some damage behind a LT than can actually block (or at least get in the way for a few seconds unlike Adams). But we will see!

I hope so...I'm not all that confident in Ben right now.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ben has always made a few fuck ups per game .. thats just the way he is .. he can move the the ball when he has to .. ben isnt the problem on the O they just aren't keeping the defense off of his back .. if he has time he will make the plays .. we aint a west coast offensive team ..

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read on steelers.com that they have made lineman changes on both sides of the ball... They have promoted Heyward to starting LDE over Hood. And they made Beachum the starting LT. Sounds like Foster is going to come down to a game day decision, but from his interview he sounded like he was going to play. Levi Brown is listed 2nd on the depth chart at LT, which buries Adams. Tomlin said that they are still going to take a hard look at Brown this week to see what he is capable of, whether that be starting position or not.

I'm pretty stoked to see Heyward is starting now. He is 2nd on the team in defensive pressures (9) so it should boost the defensive line pressure on opposing QB's. I bet Woodley is going to love this move since Heyward commands more attention than Hood ever did. Should be interesting to watch!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ben has always made a few fuck ups per game .. thats just the way he is .. he can move the the ball when he has to .. ben isnt the problem on the O they just aren't keeping the defense off of his back .. if he has time he will make the plays .. we aint a west coast offensive team ..

Yea...because he's had some success in the past we're willing to say that's just Ben, being Ben, but we don't have the type DEF that can bail him out anymore.

Ben is connected to nearly every turnover the team has had thus far.

Agreed, most any NFL QB (we just saw that on MNF with the rookie from the Jets) can put up #s when they have 4 or 5 sec to throw, but who gets that on a regular basis?

Maybe Ben will feel more confident with a new LT. IDK what you want to call it, but the short passing game, get the ball out quick is what Haley was supposedly brought here for.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read on steelers.com that they have made lineman changes on both sides of the ball... They have promoted Heyward to starting LDE over Hood. And they made Beachum the starting LT. Sounds like Foster is going to come down to a game day decision, but from his interview he sounded like he was going to play. Levi Brown is listed 2nd on the depth chart at LT, which buries Adams. Tomlin said that they are still going to take a hard look at Brown this week to see what he is capable of, whether that be starting position or not.

I'm pretty stoked to see Heyward is starting now. He is 2nd on the team in defensive pressures (9) so it should boost the defensive line pressure on opposing QB's. I bet Woodley is going to love this move since Heyward commands more attention than Hood ever did. Should be interesting to watch!

Interesting...they had to do something up front, but it starts in the middle and McClendon is not getting to the gaps like I thought he might. He's not getting the attention of the G at all like Casey did. With the guys they have upfront now, they're really more of a 4-3 personnel without a true NT.

Kion Wilson was cut loose and Sylvester was resigned...they didn't want to let Stevenson go but injury keep him from performing...worst case they have more experience behind Williams.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...they had to do something up front, but it starts in the middle and McClendon is not getting to the gaps like I thought he might. He's not getting the attention of the G at all like Casey did. With the guys they have upfront now, they're really more of a 4-3 personnel without a true NT.

Kion Wilson was cut loose and Sylvester was resigned...they didn't want to let Stevenson go but injury keep him from performing...worst case they have more experience behind Williams.

I think Sylvester could easily win the starting position. This move along with the Heyward promotion should dramatically improve our run defense. Wishful thinking...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sylvester could easily win the starting position. This move along with the Heyward promotion should dramatically improve our run defense. Wishful thinking...

Agree on Sly, took longer than they thought for his leg/hammy? to comeback...they do like the Williams kid, but he's learning on the fly and paying a price.

I'll give my thoughts on coaching/player moves in the week 6 thread.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you heard this, but I just read that Shmarko is going to see an increase in playtime at FS.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I hadn't

Not sure if you heard this, but I just read that Shmarko is going to see an increase in playtime at FS.

Thanks...And I view that as a good thing....hopefully Clark takes it well and gives the kids some pointers.