• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bucky Brooks: 9ers will field one of the most explosive offenses

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the bolded statement (the latter part of course). Right now, I will say my disagreement is with the "NOT" part. I would wait until mid-end season to state that he is not. I will wait until after the playoffs to state that he is. So, I am NOT saying that he IS our franchise QB, because what he did last year is just one step towards what I would say is "franchise." As good as it was last year, that ain't it. He needs a leap from last year to get there but I'm not going to count him out.

As for "our entire FO..." part - isn't that a bit obvious because if Alex does get it done (franchise) then we will seize the window of opportunity, if we win in spite of him (but adequate play) we will seize the window of opportunity, and if he fails, well duh, Harbaugh ain't stupid, despite what the media interprets his statements to be.

I feel some people say the "Alex is not our franchise QB" as an obligatory "I'm not crazy" statement. You know, to set themselves as reasonable football folk. Even I say he is NOT franchise based upon his last seven years (yes, including last year and the Saints game) but I don't feel the need to state it as a permanent football assessment. I'll gladly wait before I determine someone's ceiling and status with the team because I have no say over it. I feel that's more objective.

I saw Troy hit a ceiling because he failed IMO to show that he was willing to work as hard as it takes when he went back to Ohio for the bye week after playing only one game. Faxing the playbook is little compared to staying back to practice with a receiver. Alex has always seemed to be able to do it, I'm sure someone would have stayed behind for Troy. That made me eliminate him from being franchise, of course, coupled with on-field play. Alex has shown flashes (inconsistently) but also the hard work. We will now have the same offense, a great coach, and some better weapons. It is sink or swim for Alex, but I'm not going to call him dead in the water until I see him floating.

I don't think I've ever said the word "ain't" twice in one post (now three times).

You seem to be rather confused, so I will just state what may be obvious to many but seems to be confusing to you - Alex is currently our starting QB - NOT our franchise QB. This statement is an accurate, real-time statement and nothing more.

Also, to further help with your confusion it is a contract that confirms franchise status - not play. Thus, until Smith receives a franchise QB contract he would not be considered our franchise QB. Sorry if I contributed to your confusion.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to be rather confused, so I will just state what may be obvious to many but seems to be confusing to you - Alex is currently our starting QB - NOT our franchise QB. This statement is an accurate, real-time statement and nothing more.

Also, to further help with your confusion it is a contract that confirms franchise status - not play. Thus, until Smith receives a franchise QB contract he would not be considered our franchise QB. Sorry if I contributed to your confusion.

You seem to be a bit condescending, as it isn't the reader who is necessarily confused any more than the writer who doesn't post clearly. But since I've talked to you before, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You, in the past, have been a non-condescending poster.

I realize now that you were simply saying "currently" (i.e. real-time) but it wasn't merely me taking what you said and misinterpretting it unreasonably, as NOT our franchise QB, doesn't necessarily go with the "currently" our starting QB (although it did). Your clarification did help with your unclear post as much as any help you could give my confusion. Sorry that I mistook your post for more than what you intended.

Oh, and I apologize for calling what you said about "our entire FO..." as being "obvious". I lacked a better word, as I know that can sound rude. Honestly, I thought it was a bit of hyperbole/exaggerative way of saying it, but I didn't tone it down myself. Long day.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to be a bit condescending, as it isn't the reader who is necessarily confused any more than the writer who doesn't post clearly. But since I've talked to you before, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You, in the past, have been a non-condescending poster.

I realize now that you were simply saying "currently" (i.e. real-time) but it wasn't merely me taking what you said and misinterpretting it unreasonably, as NOT our franchise QB, doesn't necessarily go with the "currently" our starting QB (although it did). Your clarification did help with your unclear post as much as any help you could give my confusion. Sorry that I mistook your post for more than what you intended.

Oh, and I apologize for calling what you said about "our entire FO..." as being "obvious". I lacked a better word, as I know that can sound rude. Honestly, I thought it was a bit of hyperbole/exaggerative way of saying it, but I didn't tone it down myself. Long day.

Condescension? Hmm, well, it was clear you had confused "..., Alex Smith is currently our starting QB, he is NOT our franchise QB." with referring to a time period other than, well, currently. So, as you can see the author was quite clear - it was indeed the reader who struggled with the definition of the word, currently.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Condescension? Hmm, well, it was clear you had confused "..., Alex Smith is currently our starting QB, he is NOT our franchise QB." with referring to a time period other than, well, currently. So, as you can see the author was quite clear - it was indeed the reader who struggled with the definition of the word, currently.

Bah. Someone with a different opinion could easily state the exact same words and mean "Alex Smith is our current QB, but since he is NOT our franchise QB (as in ever)..." and then conclude something. The "currently" could simply mean make-shift starter. (i.e. Harbaugh will pull him this year if he doesn't succeed to see what Kaep, Johnson, or Tolzien can do (since they may or may not be franchise. Otherwise, they'll pull him next off-season because he's not franchise.)

I clearly misinterpretted what you said, but I didn't like that it seemed you were patting my head and telling me to run along by the "oh, you must be confused," as opposed to simply saying, "I didn't mean that he couldn't ever be franchise." Then, point out the "currently." When someone misinterprets me, I just explain what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bah. Someone with a different opinion could easily state the exact same words and mean "Alex Smith is our current QB, but since he is NOT our franchise QB (as in ever)..." and then conclude something. The "currently" could simply mean make-shift starter. (i.e. Harbaugh will pull him this year if he doesn't succeed to see what Kaep, Johnson, or Tolzien can do (since they may or may not be franchise. Otherwise, they'll pull him next off-season because he's not franchise.)

I clearly misinterpretted what you said, but I didn't like that it seemed you were patting my head and telling me to run along by the "oh, you must be confused," as opposed to simply saying, "I didn't mean that he couldn't ever be franchise." Then, point out the "currently." When someone misinterprets me, I just explain what I meant.

What the holy hell??? Dude, look, you were confused and you are still are confused - I wasn't patting your head then - but I am now. Nothing you wrote here even makes sense. This is funny as hell - was that your intention?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not intending to jump in between Bem and MHSL, and I realize there wasn't necessarily disagreement on the point, but I agree with MHSL's examination of Smith. I'm very interested to see what Smith does this season. Other than the few games with Jimmy Raye in 2010, which shouldn't really count given it was Jimmy Raye, this is Smith's first real offseason in the same system.

Reports are that Smith's accuracy has been good lately, and his decision-making perhaps better. He'll need to show he can make the outside throws more regularly than he did last year, but to me, it's the accuracy and the mental/instinctual aspect of the game that has held Smith back as much as anything. If he can become a very effective short-to-medium range passer, who does a better job avoiding sacks and can occasionally press deep, he may still prove that he's at least a very good QB, if not an elite guy. Brees and Brady don't exactly have huge arms - and especially didn't early in their careers - but they can make the throws they need to to keep Ds honest. Obviously it's a stretch and a half to think Smith will ever be close to these guys, but there's a chance he can make a real jump this season. Should make for a fun year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not intending to jump in between Bem and MHSL, and I realize there wasn't necessarily disagreement on the point, but I agree with MHSL's examination of Smith. I'm very interested to see what Smith does this season. Other than the few games with Jimmy Raye in 2010, which shouldn't really count given it was Jimmy Raye, this is Smith's first real offseason in the same system.

Reports are that Smith's accuracy has been good lately, and his decision-making perhaps better. He'll need to show he can make the outside throws more regularly than he did last year, but to me, it's the accuracy and the mental/instinctual aspect of the game that has held Smith back as much as anything. If he can become a very effective short-to-medium range passer, who does a better job avoiding sacks and can occasionally press deep, he may still prove that he's at least a very good QB, if not an elite guy. Brees and Brady don't exactly have huge arms - and especially didn't early in their careers - but they can make the throws they need to to keep Ds honest. Obviously it's a stretch and a half to think Smith will ever be close to these guys, but there's a chance he can make a real jump this season. Should make for a fun year.

As you said, there is nothing to jump between. I was stating a fact about Smith's current state - he was stating an opinion irrelevant to my comment about a possible future state. His opinion, as a stand alone opinion, is one I think we all agree with on some level.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the holy hell??? Dude, look, you were confused and you are still are confused - I wasn't patting your head then - but I am now. Nothing you wrote here even makes sense. This is funny as hell - was that your intention?

Just a bad, bad day. My grandfather is in the hospital and I can't see him for awhile and I don't know how he's going to be. 10 years ago, my grandmother had gone to the hospital and they diagnosed it as dehydration. She went home and died from a heart aneurysm (I think it's called that) that they would have seen if they looked. But my dad, being a doctor, knows that given her symptoms it wasn't something that a doctor would suspect. So I'm a little paranoid about my grandfather - and he has something worse than "dehydration." Also, my baby is sick for virtually the first time, but she'll be fine, just hard on my patience.

So I was in a pissed off mood and apparently this board didn't distract me like I wanted it to. Just got a bit upset with everything. I'll be able to go see him Saturday. Sorry about my hissy fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a bad, bad day. My grandfather is in the hospital and I can't see him for awhile and I don't know how he's going to be. 10 years ago, my grandmother had gone to the hospital and they diagnosed it as dehydration. She went home and died from a heart aneurysm (I think it's called that) that they would have seen if they looked. But my dad, being a doctor, knows that given her symptoms it wasn't something that a doctor would suspect. So I'm a little paranoid about my grandfather - and he has something worse than "dehydration." Also, my baby is sick for virtually the first time, but she'll be fine, just hard on my patience.

So I was in a pissed off mood and apparently this board didn't distract me like I wanted it to. Just got a bit upset with everything. I'll be able to go see him Saturday. Sorry about my hissy fit.

No apology necessary, your Grandfather and your Daughter are certainly more important than ony conversation on this board - My thoughts are with you and your family, MHSL82.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Alex Smith and the offense in general. This is the first time in a very long time that I felt in terms of talent and coaching we're in pretty good shape offensively.

So with that said I think Alex Smith will surprise a lot of people this season. Not that he's going to be Brees or Rodgers or anything but I can see him having an Eli Manning kind of season where he won't wow you with numbers and big plays but will be effective and efficient at keeping the drive moving and scoring.

On a personal note I would love for him to have a great season and win the Superbowl just for the sheer comedic value of it. It would be one of the all time middle fingers you could give in sports and it would be epic.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a bad, bad day. My grandfather is in the hospital and I can't see him for awhile and I don't know how he's going to be.
Also, my baby is sick for virtually the first time, but she'll be fine, just hard on my patience.

Best wishes, bud.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, MHSL. Good luck to you both.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Alex Smith and the offense in general. This is the first time in a very long time that I felt in terms of talent and coaching we're in pretty good shape offensively.

So with that said I think Alex Smith will surprise a lot of people this season. Not that he's going to be Brees or Rodgers or anything but I can see him having an Eli Manning kind of season where he won't wow you with numbers and big plays but will be effective and efficient at keeping the drive moving and scoring.

On a personal note I would love for him to have a great season and win the Superbowl just for the sheer comedic value of it. It would be one of the all time middle fingers you could give in sports and it would be epic.

Jikkle there is a lot of good points in your post, but I'm curious why you feel that winning the SB for Smith would be: "...one of the all time middle fingers you could give in sports...".

Do you feel that Smith's treatment by the media and/or the fans has been unjust? It would certainly be one of the ultimate come-back stories of all time, and perhaps a middle finger to some such as Nolan, but I'm not sure about it being an epic middle finger story overall.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The media had largely discounted Smith a few years back, and many in the media and otherwise considered him a bust. Smith's success would be something of a middle finger to those folks.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jikkle there is a lot of good points in your post, but I'm curious why you feel that winning the SB for Smith would be: "...one of the all time middle fingers you could give in sports...".

Do you feel that Smith's treatment by the media and/or the fans has been unjust? It would certainly be one of the ultimate come-back stories of all time, and perhaps a middle finger to some such as Nolan, but I'm not sure about it being an epic middle finger story overall.

Did you forget about the "WE WANT CARR" chant?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you forget about the "WE WANT CARR" chant?

Good point - fair enough. I guess there would be a "middle finger" element to his success.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The media had largely discounted Smith a few years back, and many in the media and otherwise considered him a bust. Smith's success would be something of a middle finger to those folks.

the far majority of fans gave up on Alex before the media.

i remained optimistic longer than most, but did give up after 2010. gave up thinking he'll be our "franchise QB" or "QB of the future", not give up totally. i still feel this way now.

you were also one who remained optimistic longer than most. [don't know your specific position now]

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

oh ok, i started reading up the thread and this gives an IDEA of your position.

we all expect he'll improve by having the same system, and being surrounded by a good team. IF last season was 'good', then this season would be 'very good'. IF last season was 'ok', then this season would be 'good'. ie we expect a step up.

the question will then turn to.....how much was it Alex himself, versus the system/team around him?