• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers at Eagles - NFCCG

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we find the Niners in the NFC Championship game on the road against the #1 seeded Eagles.

This will undoubtedly be the biggest test the Niners have had all year. It's by far and away their toughest, most well-rounded opponent. The Eagles are GOOD on both offense and defense.

On offense, the eagles:
--are 3rd in points scored and 3rd in yards gained
--have a 1,000 yard pro bowl rusher in Sanders who averaged 4.9ypc
--are a top 5 rushing offense
--have an All Pro WR in Brown, who beat the crap out of us when he was with the Titans
--have good secondary receiving options in WR D.Smith who had 1,100yds and TE D.Goedart who had 700yd
--OLine is one of the best in the league
--worst of all, the eagles have a mobile QB and the Niners defense is weak against mobile Qbs

On defense, the eagles:
--are 8th in points allowed and 2nd in yards allowed, the Defense is VERY good
--they can rush the passer like no other team in the league, they have a whopping 70 sacks on the season!
--they have 4 different rushers with 10+ sacks
--their pass pressure rate is 25.5%, which is just a tick under Dallas's and they pressured us all day long
--have a pro bowl CB in Slay and some other good pieces that should not be underestimated
--if they have a defensive weakness, it's on the ground where they are 24th in yards per rushing attempt, giving up 4.6ypc

This will be the Niners first road playoff game this year (after having 3 straight last year) and it's in a very loud environment in Philly. Still, Purdy and the offense held up pretty well to the noise in Seattle, so that bodes well enough.

One has to assume that the Niners will try and establish the run in this one considering that that is how teams have beaten the Eagles--by not giving up on the run and converting on 3rd and middle or 3rd and short. The rushing game will slow down that pass rush and take pressure off of Purdy. Then again, Shanny might decide to go play action from the beginning and come out throwing it. There is really no telling in this game, but considering how conservative Shanny was against Dallas, I'd expect him to do the same early on in Philly. On defense, first and foremost, the team has to prevent big plays and make the Eagles take the ball the length of the field. The Eagles just have so many ways their offense can hurt you and I'm not sure the defense can hold up against all of it. Hopefully, the Niners got their freak-accident turnover out of the way in Dallas (thanks Ray Ray).

Vegas has the Niners as 2.5 point underdogs. Considering that the game is in Philly, that's practically a pick em on a neutral field. It's strange b/c the KC/Cincy game has changed its line to even too!

Well, what do we think?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we find the Niners in the NFC Championship game on the road against the #1 seeded Eagles.

This will undoubtedly be the biggest test the Niners have had all year. It's by far and away their toughest, most well-rounded opponent. The Eagles are GOOD on both offense and defense.

On offense, the eagles:
--are 3rd in points scored and 3rd in yards gained
--have a 1,000 yard pro bowl rusher in Sanders who averaged 4.9ypc
--are a top 5 rushing offense
--have an All Pro WR in Brown, who beat the crap out of us when he was with the Titans
--have good secondary receiving options in WR D.Smith who had 1,100yds and TE D.Goedart who had 700yd
--OLine is one of the best in the league
--worst of all, the eagles have a mobile QB and the Niners defense is weak against mobile Qbs

On defense, the eagles:
--are 8th in points allowed and 2nd in yards allowed, the Defense is VERY good
--they can rush the passer like no other team in the league, they have a whopping 70 sacks on the season!
--they have 4 different rushers with 10+ sacks
--their pass pressure rate is 25.5%, which is just a tick under Dallas's and they pressured us all day long
--have a pro bowl CB in Slay and some other good pieces that should not be underestimated
--if they have a defensive weakness, it's on the ground where they are 24th in yards per rushing attempt, giving up 4.6ypc

This will be the Niners first road playoff game this year (after having 3 straight last year) and it's in a very loud environment in Philly. Still, Purdy and the offense held up pretty well to the noise in Seattle, so that bodes well enough.

One has to assume that the Niners will try and establish the run in this one considering that that is how teams have beaten the Eagles--by not giving up on the run and converting on 3rd and middle or 3rd and short. The rushing game will slow down that pass rush and take pressure off of Purdy. Then again, Shanny might decide to go play action from the beginning and come out throwing it. There is really no telling in this game, but considering how conservative Shanny was against Dallas, I'd expect him to do the same early on in Philly. On defense, first and foremost, the team has to prevent big plays and make the Eagles take the ball the length of the field. The Eagles just have so many ways their offense can hurt you and I'm not sure the defense can hold up against all of it. Hopefully, the Niners got their freak-accident turnover out of the way in Dallas (thanks Ray Ray).

Vegas has the Niners as 2.5 point underdogs. Considering that the game is in Philly, that's practically a pick em on a neutral field. It's strange b/c the KC/Cincy game has changed its line to even too!

Well, what do we think?
By far the toughest opponent since they played KC... I have night terrors about the bolded section. Most talking heads seem to blow by this one, but the 9ers over-pursuit on the d-line leaves gaping holes for talented mobile QBs to take advantage of. We haven't really seen that this year since Wilson was traded and Kyler got injured. This could be the difference-maker to me. Also, they got ballers at WR that could take advantage of our secondary as well.

Every yard we earn on offense will be hard-earned. I'm on the Purdy train at this point. I'm glad he's the QB for this game, as opposed to JG. I may end up eating those words, but I feel like he gives us a shot in this game, provided he has enough time to get the ball to playmakers in space. Philly has an outstanding d-line, so that's no easy task.

I completely agree that the way the 9ers win is by running the ball, having long methodical drives that eat up the clock. Although, I could see Shanahan saying "f@ck it... I'm down to my 3rd string QB, he's winging it - lets go for it!" out of the gate. He did do that in the SEA game, and the plays were there. Philly's D will probably be expecting all of the above, and are much more talented than SEA's D.

This game could go either way. I like the 9ers experience and overall talent. Philly's overall talent is every bit as good, and QB to QB, Philly has the edge. But the 9ers have proven that they can win in big playoff games on the road in recent history. They've been there before, and I think they know how to prepare.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By far the toughest opponent since they played KC... I have night terrors about the bolded section. Most talking heads seem to blow by this one, but the 9ers over-pursuit on the d-line leaves gaping holes for talented mobile QBs to take advantage of. We haven't really seen that this year since Wilson was traded and Kyler got injured. This could be the difference-maker to me. Also, they got ballers at WR that could take advantage of our secondary as well.

Every yard we earn on offense will be hard-earned. I'm on the Purdy train at this point. I'm glad he's the QB for this game, as opposed to JG. I may end up eating those words, but I feel like he gives us a shot in this game, provided he has enough time to get the ball to playmakers in space. Philly has an outstanding d-line, so that's no easy task.

I completely agree that the way the 9ers win is by running the ball, having long methodical drives that eat up the clock. Although, I could see Shanahan saying "f@ck it... I'm down to my 3rd string QB, he's winging it - lets go for it!" out of the gate. He did do that in the SEA game, and the plays were there. Philly's D will probably be expecting all of the above, and are much more talented than SEA's D.

This game could go either way. I like the 9ers experience and overall talent. Philly's overall talent is every bit as good, and QB to QB, Philly has the edge. But the 9ers have proven that they can win in big playoff games on the road in recent history. They've been there before, and I think they know how to prepare.
As in most games, it comes down to who makes more mistakes? As already posted both teams are very good so we're not talking about a lot of mistakes here. Even 1 turnover can do you in or a few big penalties make the difference. There is no need for personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalties, the 49ers can avoid these.

As we saw in the Dallas game (Pollard), an early injury can make a big difference too.

Hurts does what Shanahan envisioned for Lance, being able to extend plays by running downfield. Purdy extends plays too but remains in the backfield, he won't run 10-15 yards downfield. So big dilemna with our pass rush, stay in your lanes and get less pressure or flat out rush to increase pressure. If its 3rd and 12 then its obvious, but what happens when its 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 7?

If no mistakes, then we need to get the TD's. Four field goals is good but not good enough this Sunday.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oof! Everything that could go wrong....
Still, one heck of a season
Way to go 9ers
Way to go Mr Irrelevant.... Joe Purdy :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oof! Everything that could go wrong....
Still, one heck of a season
Way to go 9ers
Way to go Mr Irrelevant.... Joe Purdy :)
Unfortunately yes on "everything that could go wrong...."

Also yes in "still, one heck of a season". None of us wants to lose but if we back up and look at it overall, we got much farther than anyone would've guessed. We won so many games in a row, and enjoyed a LONG winning streak. No doubt its very unfortunate this SOLID roster isn't going further but football is football.

I felt it would come down to 1 or 2 mistakes but never occured to me Purdy would get injured?! Anyway, the Eagles played well too - almost mistake free - and earned the win. Maybe we win with Purdy and maybe we don't, doesn't matter now.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gotta hope that Purdy isn't hurt long term. A serious UCL injury could require Tommy John surgery.

I have to question the scheme on the play where he was injured. How do you have your backup TE blocking the other team's best pass rusher?

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We gotta hope that Purdy isn't hurt long term. A serious UCL injury could require Tommy John surgery.

I have to question the scheme on the play where he was injured. How do you have your backup TE blocking the other team's best pass rusher?
The projection is 6 months and then he works his way back into football shape. They'll get a second opinion and go from there. They also say no guarantee he's even the same after the surgery/recovery?!

Its now clear Trey Lance is the QB so the question is who's brought in to back him up? They may even sign a vet AND draft a late round QB? At this point Lynch has to prepare as though Purdy isn't coming back next season.

Not in favor of Tom Brady, and JG is going somewhere else to sign a contract we won't match.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cohn and Krueger brought up a good point, if we want to reach the SB, then we need stronger trenches. The Eagles have stronger lines on both sides so we need to (hope to?) improve a few spots. Kinlaw on the surface seems to be one fix however he hasn't shown it yet? We need at least a NT too on D. On offense we need a stronger RG and they even said C.

On the bright side, NT and RG doesn't necessarily require HIGH draft picks.

We DO need a RT but not listing it because its not realistic. Typically, late 3rd round rookies aren't immediate starters. That's why i think we try to re-sign McGlinchey even though he's inconsistent.

We need to continue with late round drafting "magic".

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The projection is 6 months and then he works his way back into football shape. They'll get a second opinion and go from there. They also say no guarantee he's even the same after the surgery/recovery?!

Its now clear Trey Lance is the QB so the question is who's brought in to back him up? They may even sign a vet AND draft a late round QB? At this point Lynch has to prepare as though Purdy isn't coming back next season.

Not in favor of Tom Brady, and JG is going somewhere else to sign a contract we won't match.
Yea, Jimmy is gone. That means it'll be Lance by default (again), but I think the FO will seriously consider signing Brady--I think it'll depend on the what Brady on will cost.

Garafolo is reporting that Purdy would be throwing in 3 months and fully recovered in 6 months, which would be just before TC.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea, Jimmy is gone. That means it'll be Lance by default (again), but I think the FO will seriously consider signing Brady--I think it'll depend on the what Brady on will cost.

Garafolo is reporting that Purdy would be throwing in 3 months and fully recovered in 6 months, which would be just before TC.

Oh ok, this is a much better report than i've seen to date. We'll see on the 2nd opinion?

BTW - I a post that said a partial tear (not detachment) takes much longer to heal/harder to heal? This is contrary to the above, so we'll see about the 2nd opinion.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The Eagles beat the 49ers 31-7 in the NFC Championship Game, but San Francisco wide receiver Deebo Samuel says the better team didn’t win that day.

Samuel says that there is “No question” the 49ers were the better team, and that San Francisco would have won if not for losing quarterback Brock Purdy to an elbow injury.
"

Deebo Samuel should stop talking like this, there is nothing to gain by mouthing off. We all feel the 49ers had more than decent chance to win, but hard luck is hard luck, no tears!

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Eagles beat the 49ers 31-7 in the NFC Championship Game, but San Francisco wide receiver Deebo Samuel says the better team didn’t win that day.

Samuel says that there is “No question” the 49ers were the better team, and that San Francisco would have won if not for losing quarterback Brock Purdy to an elbow injury.
"

Deebo Samuel should stop talking like this, there is nothing to gain by mouthing off. We all feel the 49ers had more than decent chance to win, but hard luck is hard luck, no tears!
Yea, he's a mouthy guy. It's always best not to spout off like that. On the one hand he's got a point that the Niners didn't really get a chance to compete due to Purdy's injury, but like you said, there is nothing to gain by saying things like this. Makes him look like a sore loser.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, he's a mouthy guy. It's always best not to spout off like that. On the one hand he's got a point that the Niners didn't really get a chance to compete due to Purdy's injury, but like you said, there is nothing to gain by saying things like this. Makes him look like a sore loser.
He’s not alone. He’s one of like 5/6 players and even Shanahan himself who have said similar things. Bad look. They’re now the Forty Whiners.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He’s not alone. He’s one of like 5/6 players and even Shanahan himself who have said similar things. Bad look. They’re now the Forty Whiners.
5/6 players?!

Shannahan?!

you sure about that?

Anyway, we lost and regardless of how we lost, it ain't gonna change. FWIW, the NFC Championship loss to the NY Giants will always hurt more than this one. That's the game where Roger Craig fumbled the ball while running out the clock, sheesh!