• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns get Watson

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this has affected his play of late. Either way he is clearly cooked.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, idk. I would say the Browns should use this latest case to void the contract, given he now has over 2 dozen such accusations, but apparently those didn't matter so, idk anymore.
They only “don’t matter” if he’s a good football player that brings wins. That’s now in serious jeopardy. This would be a godsend to save the Browns from being the Browns.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect releasing him doesn't absolve them of the dead money on his contract. They may get out of the $46M base per for 2025 and 2026, but he has $80M in unallocated SB and RB $'s that would hit the cap next year if released now (if released next year it can be spread over 2 years). Now that is better than the $172M that will hit the cap in 25-27 if they don't cut him, but it will leave a mark next year because it can't be spread out beyond 2025 if he is a 2024 post 6/1 cut. The good news on that front is he already has a cap hit of $72M next year if they do nothing so it is only $8M more. The bad news is they are already $37M over next year so this would put them $45M over. Since they can't restructure Watson as planned to get under they would have to restructure pretty much everyone else. But, with his $73M cap hit gone for 2026 and $27M dead money gone for 2027 it shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect releasing him doesn't absolve them of the dead money on his contract. They may get out of the $46M base per for 2025 and 2026, but he has $80M in unallocated SB and RB $'s that would hit the cap next year if released now (if released next year it can be spread over 2 years). Now that is better than the $172M that will hit the cap in 25-27 if they don't cut him, but it will leave a mark next year because it can't be spread out beyond 2025 if he is a 2024 post 6/1 cut. The good news on that front is he already has a cap hit of $72M next year if they do nothing so it is only $8M more. The bad news is they are already $37M over next year so this would put them $45M over. Since they can't restructure Watson as planned to get under they would have to restructure pretty much everyone else. But, with his $73M cap hit gone for 2026 and $27M dead money gone for 2027 it shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Lol that's the whole issue here. His deal is fully guaranteed.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capital F Fucked....My condolences Browns fans.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol that's the whole issue here. His deal is fully guaranteed.
Right, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The talk of cutting him because of his actions and voiding his contract would eliminate his base salary ($46M per). It would not reduce the dead money that has yet to hit the cap due to restructures.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capital F Fucked....My condolences Browns fans.
I thought it was obvious the day that they traded for him that this was a disastrous move. Over a short period of time, when looking at what they gave up, his off the field transgressions, the contract he was given and how he played with the Browns it became clear this was the worst deal in NFL history and it gets clearer and clearer that it was as time goes by.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I (and many others of course, including some Browns fans) said the day they traded for him that this was a disastrous move and IMO the worst deal in NFL history when looking at what they gave up, his off the field transgressions and the contract he was given. I don't think even the homers can argue that now

The glazed look of the Cleveland fans during "America's Game of the Week" told the whole story. It sucks to have that realization in week 1 as a fan. They're best to just bench Watson and play somebody the rest of the team can rally around. Obviously it caps their potential with another retread like Flacco, but at least the team will play inspired rather than deflated football and the fans can see a reasonable product on the field.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The talk of cutting him because of his actions and voiding his contract would eliminate his base salary ($46M per). It would not reduce the dead money that has yet to hit the cap due to restructures.

I was saying that your introducing the idea of releasing him is not remotely on the table. We are discussing him having hos deal voided due to violation of protocol. That is the only out. Now...if he continues to suck they have Jameis right there at least.

They don't need top 5 qb play but they can't get absolute dog shit either.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was saying that your introducing the idea of releasing him is not remotely on the table. We are discussing him having hos deal voided due to violation of protocol. That is the only out. Now...if he continues to suck they have Jameis right there at least.

They don't need top 5 qb play but they can't get absolute dog shit either.
releasing him via voiding his contract. I thought that was obvious :noidea:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The glazed look of the Cleveland fans during "America's Game of the Week" told the whole story. It sucks to have that realization in week 1 as a fan. They're best to just bench Watson and play somebody the rest of the team can rally around. Obviously it caps their potential with another retread like Flacco, but at least the team will play inspired rather than deflated football and the fans can see a reasonable product on the field.
I don’t think they can turn this page though because of the financial commitment to him. They essentially have to count on Stefanski to either a) coach him up to the point where they can get effective play from him b) form a system that emphasizes what they do well and mitigate the impact of the pervert.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Factory of Sadness: Where the only joy in life comes from brief flashes of competent QB play every few decades, like the Joe Flacco miracle of last season, but then the oppressive, inescapable reality sets back in that you are still the Cleveland Browns.

resize

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flacco took them to the playoffs. Shoulda kept him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they can turn this page though because of the financial commitment to him. They essentially have to count on Stefanski to either a) coach him up to the point where they can get effective play from him b) form a system that emphasizes what they do well and mitigate the impact of the pervert.
They need to give Dorsey a chance to actually call the plays. Stefanski refuses to give it up though. Right now Dorsey designs the plays but Stefanski still picks them. Really doesn't make sense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco took them to the playoffs. Shoulda kept him.
I think it is funny when people say this. The guy is 40 years old. He is nothing more than a good replacement QB for a very short period of time. In end they lost in the playoffs and Flacco threw 2 pick sixes. He had a great run and I loved him in Cleveland but he isn't the answer. Winston makes more sense than him and 10 years younger.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meanwhile...

Throwing TD's was never a problem for Baker. TB could make the playoffs every year but what is their ceiling. Obviously, I would undo the Watson trade and keep Baker Nobody was throwing TD's with that OL last week