• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing with the "Saban rule" wasn't that it was even a loophole. It's just that he used the rule so much more than everyone else(aside from Pete Carol and Urban Meyer apparently).

You know what they Saban rule is, right? You were allowed to go to schools and talk to coaches, counselors, teachers, etc. -- you weren't allowed to set up a meeting with a recruit because it was a dead period.

It is called the Saban rule because he repeatedly was getting called out for "bumping into recruits" on these visits. The Barry Sanders Jr. incident pretty much put an end to it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what they Saban rule is, right? You were allowed to go to schools and talk to coaches, counselors, teachers, etc. -- you weren't allowed to set up a meeting with a recruit because it was a dead period.

It is called the Saban rule because he repeatedly was getting called out for "bumping into recruits" on these visits. The Barry Sanders Jr. incident pretty much put an end to it.

They all bumped into recruits. The issue was how often Saban and a few others were doing the evaluations.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably the libertarian side of me, but I never was a fan of banning things. I'm one of those 'legalize almost everything' types of people. However, I do believe in regulations and limitations to keep things from getting out-of-hand.

So.... I would like to see satellite football camps be made legal, but with some limitations. Here's some possibilities:

-unlimited camps allowed on your own campus & facilities.

-an additional 3 camps per year allowed anywhere in your home state and/or also across state lines within 100 miles of campus (100 miles is an important point for schools located in small geographic states or near state borders).

-an additional 3 long-distance out-of-state camps over 100 miles from campus allowed per year... BUT... these long-distance camps cannot be soloed by one coaching staff/school but instead must be shared by three or more staffs from three or more different schools (such as the originally planned joint Baylor & Michigan camp in Texas...but with one more additional school). This helps to maximize kids access/exposure to multiple schools at one time so kids can conserve money by avoiding multiple camps...so, the kids get to kick-the-tires/take a test-drive in on-the-field situations with multiple coaching staffs/schools without the expense of going to multiple camps.

Again.... I believe regulation and limitation are two preferred concepts in almost all aspects of our society as opposed to the nasty 'ban' word.

Last edited:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably the libertarian side of me, but I never was a fan of banning things. I'm one of those 'legalize almost everything' types of people. However, I do believe in regulations and limitations to keep things from getting out-of-hand.

So.... I would like to see satellite football camps be made legal, but with some limitations. Here's some possibilities:

-unlimited camps allowed on your own campus & facilities.

-an additional 3 camps per year allowed anywhere in your home state and/or also across state lines within 100 miles of campus (100 miles is an important point for schools located in small geographic states or near state borders).

-an additional 3 long distance out-of-state camps over 100 miles from campus allowed per year...BUT... these long-distance camps cannot be soloed by one coaching staff/school but instead must be shared by three or more staffs from three or more different schools (such as the originally planned joint Baylor & Michigan camp in Texas...but with one more additional school). This helps to maximize kids access/exposure to multiple schools at one time so kids can conserve money by avoiding multiple camps...so, the kids get to kick-the-tires/take a test-drive in on-the-field situations with multiple coaching staffs/schools without the expense of going to multiple camps.

Again.... I believe regulation and limitation are two preferred concepts in almost all aspects of our society as opposed to the nasty 'ban' word.
I like this. Don't care for the 100 mi radius part, I'd maybe bump that to 300-500 to keep it regional. For schools in less populated areas, 100 miles wouldn't do anything. 100 miles doesn't even get from Lincoln to Kansas City.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all bumped into recruits. The issue was how often Saban and a few others were doing the evaluations.
Yeah, it was the evaluations they took offense to. Definitely not the coincidental bumping into recruits. :L

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, lets listen to the coach who locked kids up in sheds for punishment on meeting the needs of them.

Yes, because of his past practice or accusations, let's not listen to him even if what he says makes sense.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Thursday on XM satellite radio:

Mike Leach, who couldn't understand the PAC-12's stance on this issue, said the following: ""Either (schools are worried about) trying to protect our recruiting base and legislate it so nobody can come in here and sift through our players, or (it's about) laziness. Somebody says 'I'm too lazy to have a satellite camp, so let's outlaw it.' It's one of the most absurd things ever. ... If we're even close to what we say we are, all this idealistic student-athlete (stuff) in college football. If we're even close to who and what we say we are, that needs to be overturned immediately."
Mike leach can't understand why the room is always spinning

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike leach can't understand why the room is always spinning

Yet, he managed to be pretty lucid. Look, I'm not fond of Mike Leach's coaching strategies, but his comments about this issue were spot on, IMO.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, he managed to be pretty lucid. Look, I'm not fond of Mike Leach's coaching strategies, but his comments about this issue were spot on, IMO.
To be honest I'm not even sure he even wrote that. But he is the last coach in the PAC I would be referencing a comment from. We all know he likes the attention and is far from being credible. That's up there with A written Statement from Sark

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I'm not even sure he even wrote that. But he is the last coach in the PAC I would be referencing a comment from. We all know he likes the attention and is far from being credible. That's up there with A written Statement from Sark
You could, you know, LISTEN to it, since it was a radio interview. Fake Twitter accounts and now fake interviews, too?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leach didn't "write" it. He was speaking about the issue on satellite radio--it wasn't a prepared statement.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, lets listen to the coach who locked kids up in sheds for punishment on meeting the needs of them.
You bow down to a guy who once stepped over a player having a seizure. Locking a kid in a shed sounds like the winner in this contest.