• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you heard me say it was about the kids for Michigan? Im not making excuses to hide what Harbaugh is doing (as some fan bases have done).
He is doing the satellite camps to build relationships with coaches, players and schools in the top recruiting areas.

If the camps were being held in North Dakota, Idaho and Maine -- conferences like the SEC and ACC couldn't care less. If a level playing field is actually what they wanted, they would have just lifted their own ban. If it were to give them any type of advantage -- that is exactly what they would have done. They know it doesn't, so they want it banned for everyone.

The part I find funny is -- if the SEC wants a level playing -- why don't they go to a 9 game conference schedule? Why don't they go to a hard 85 scholarship cap? Why don't they get rid of special admissions for athletes who don't meet academic standards?

The SEC wants a level playing field, but they want it to be there rules, where they already hold the advantages.

So you're crying because your self interests didn't trump the overwhelming majority of other schools who weren't in favor of it.

Got it.

As for 9 game conferences - the Big10 would probably have better SoS if they went to 8 game schedules. As long as the SEC is bringing in the top end of SoS, you'll just have to keep crying.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Thursday on XM satellite radio:

Mike Leach, who couldn't understand the PAC-12's stance on this issue, said the following: ""Either (schools are worried about) trying to protect our recruiting base and legislate it so nobody can come in here and sift through our players, or (it's about) laziness. Somebody says 'I'm too lazy to have a satellite camp, so let's outlaw it.' It's one of the most absurd things ever. ... If we're even close to what we say we are, all this idealistic student-athlete (stuff) in college football. If we're even close to who and what we say we are, that needs to be overturned immediately."

Yes, lets listen to the coach who locked kids up in sheds for punishment on meeting the needs of them.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part: I don't even live in Alabama.

Me either...right now. When I move in a few months i will be 74 miles from Tuscaloosa :D

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see where the SEC guys are coming from, but I still think it's BS that if a camp is being held at a college campus and other coaches are invited to attend, it would now break this rule. If I'm missing something, someone correct me. It's one thing to go hold satellite camps all over the country; it's another to attend one not far away when you're invited.

As I've said, it just sucks for the smaller schools that don't have the unlimited resources to travel all over the country, and for the lower ranked recruits who otherwise might not be receiving the scholarships they are receiving. I was listening to Beanie Wells on 97.1 in Columbus this morning and he was talking about kids that camped at OSU when he was there, and evidently it was very common for these initial meetings between those MAC-level schools and prospects to occur right in Columbus. I don't see how that hurts anyone.

Not all areas are as concentrated as the MAC/Ohio area. You have to look at schools from the entire country. Idaho for example doesn't have the luxury of going to Ohio St.

These rules are made to try and make things fair.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me either...right now. When I move in a few months i will be 74 miles from Tuscaloosa :D

Nice. My little brother lives in Tuscaloosa, I should go visit him sometime.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

That would screw over schools such as Northwestern. For those who don't know, Northwestern conducts their entire August football training camp in Wisconsin (available large open expanses of real estate equipped with training facilities are kinda limited in Chicagoland... hehe). So...... the annual Northwestern August football training camp is conducted at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside campus located in Kenosha, WI.

Kenosha is the worst, which makes it the best for Northwestern football

Ban, ban, ban... folks need to look before they leap with the banhammer.

Obviously Northwestern is due to facility access and I assume its a short bus ride for the program to move to do their camp and Bear Bryant had his Junction Boys for other reasons.

What Jim is doing at Michigan is trying to Take the Show on the road and he is doing it for publicity. Michigan does not need to hold its spring practices in Florida.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all areas are as concentrated as the MAC/Ohio area. You have to look at schools from the entire country. Idaho for example doesn't have the luxury of going to Ohio St.

These rules are made to try and make things fair.
Oh sure, I definitely understand that. So you're just saying from the standpoint of, for instance, Idaho vs. BG, it's giving BG an unfair advantage of being able to go see these prospects?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. My little brother lives in Tuscaloosa, I should go visit him sometime.

I am moving back to the area I went to high school, the Leeds/Moody Alabama area. Bought a 100 acre farm with a small lake with my high school girlfriend and we are gonna try and make a go of living together. I may even catch more games if I can get her to leave me alone long enough. :dhd:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't they get rid of special admissions for athletes who don't meet academic standards?

Remove Northwestern and Wisconsin and tell me about "academic standards" for the rest of the B1G, especially Ohio State and Michigan State.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh sure, I definitely understand that. So you're just saying from the standpoint of, for instance, Idaho vs. BG, it's giving BG an unfair advantage of being able to go see these prospects?

The money is the bigger thing as I understand it. More distance = more costs etc.

I'm sure if Alabama was located in Idaho, such an advantage wouldn't really exist.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am moving back to the area I went to high school, the Leeds/Moody Alabama area. Bought a 100 acre farm with a small lake with my high school girlfriend and we are gonna try and make a go of living together. I may even catch more games if I can get her to leave me alone long enough. :dhd:

Nice, I lived on a 1000 acre farm in Kansas for awhile. Enjoyed the shit outta it(especially since they rented out the land to someone else to farm, so I just got the perks).

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, I lived on a 1000 acre farm in Kansas for awhile. Enjoyed the shit outta it(especially since they rented out the land to someone else to farm, so I just got the perks).

We are going to get the hay cut but not farm anything more than that. The 3 acre lake is where the new house is going to be built and I am planning on getting a couple of horses and taking my four wheeler's. I am going to enjoy my older age a bit and not work so hard.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to get the hay cut but not farm anything more than that. The 3 acre lake is where the new house is going to be built and I am planning on getting a couple of horses and taking my four wheeler's. I am going to enjoy my older age a bit and not work so hard.

Yeah we had a bunch of ponds we could go fishing in. That was what we did most of the time.

I grew up with horses, you ever had them before?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we had a bunch of ponds we could go fishing in. That was what we did most of the time.

I grew up with horses, you ever had them before?

A long time ago. She is from Texas and had horses until she sold them when she decided to move back to Alabama recently. I am ok with horses but not overly confident, but its pretty land and should be good riding land. Plenty of trails and wooded areas to ride in as well as fields to let them run and be free from a stall all day. Just need to get some fencing around a big section near the barn and we will be good to go.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money is the bigger thing as I understand it. More distance = more costs etc.

I'm sure if Alabama was located in Idaho, such an advantage wouldn't really exist.
Yeah, I think we're both at that same conclusion. That said, Idaho is not even 5 hours from the University of Washington. Also, obviously Boise is right there, and hell, they're really not even that far from Oregon. I don't really know of any schools that are really that terribly far away from a major program. If you're program can't afford to fly some coaches to a camp or two every year, you probably shouldn't even have a program.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think we're both at that same conclusion. That said, Idaho is not even 5 hours from the University of Washington. Also, obviously Boise is right there, and hell, they're really not even that far from Oregon. I don't really know of any schools that are really that terribly far away from a major program. If you're program can't afford to fly some coaches to a camp or two every year, you probably shouldn't even have a program.
Never mind the fact that, as mentioned in the other thread, Idaho is in the Sun Belt and they have to travel all over the place for games. They can take the money they will save from not having to do that and put it towards going to camps. Or drop football. Whatever.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's more relative on what the haves and have nots will have and the difference in them.

For example, compare what Harbaugh did with all his traveling vs what a smaller school could afford. It's like I told Michigan fans - if the rule wasn't stopped, then you better look out when Saban starts doing them because nobody will outwork him. He'd be running 100 camps over the summer.

The whole thing with the "Saban rule" wasn't that it was even a loophole. It's just that he used the rule so much more than everyone else(aside from Pete Carol and Urban Meyer apparently).

Boise St gets most of it's recruits from California.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're crying because your self interests didn't trump the overwhelming majority of other schools who weren't in favor of it.

Got it.

As for 9 game conferences - the Big10 would probably have better SoS if they went to 8 game schedules. As long as the SEC is bringing in the top end of SoS, you'll just have to keep crying.

The hypocrisy is so ironic. They keep talking about "what's best" (with noses in the air) based on their narrow, unenlightened self-interest. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that these guys think the Big Ten is in a position to dictate "what's right" for college football. Too bad the other conferences disagree.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Got it.

Crying? Where have I cried about any of it? All I did was laugh at the SEC's excuses for why they don't like the camps. I'd have much more respect for them if they just told it like it is, instead of hiding the truth behind ridiculous excuses like "a level playing field" or "student/athlete time constraints".

As I said -- if it gave them any advantage what so ever -- they'd be all about it. They have an advantage by being able to go over the 85 scholarship limit and not having to get down to 85 til Fall practice. The reason they won't go to the hard cap? Because it gives them a big advantage to keep it how they have it.
Same goes for the 8 game conference schedule -- if they wanted a level playing field, they'd have a 9 game schedule. They want to be able to schedule an extra game against whoever they'd like.

I have no issue with the camps being shut down -- I know why it was done. Instead of the ramblings about set recruiting schedules and dead periods (which if you remember, the SEC was fine with coaches "bumping into recruits" during these dead periods, until they put an end to it -- because............it gave them an advantage)
Now it is about level playing fields though. If the SEC or ACC had even the most miniscule advantage by holding these camps -- they'd have done so in a heartbeat.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crying? Where have I cried about any of it? All I did was laugh at the SEC's excuses for why they don't like the camps. I'd have much more respect for them if they just told it like it is, instead of hiding the truth behind ridiculous excuses like "a level playing field" or "student/athlete time constraints".

As I said -- if it gave them any advantage what so ever -- they'd be all about it. They have an advantage by being able to go over the 85 scholarship limit and not having to get down to 85 til Fall practice. The reason they won't go to the hard cap? Because it gives them a big advantage to keep it how they have it.
Same goes for the 8 game conference schedule -- if they wanted a level playing field, they'd have a 9 game schedule. They want to be able to schedule an extra game against whoever they'd like.

I have no issue with the camps being shut down -- I know why it was done. Instead of the ramblings about set recruiting schedules and dead periods (which if you remember, the SEC was fine with coaches "bumping into recruits" during these dead periods, until they put an end to it -- because............it gave them an advantage)
Now it is about level playing fields though. If the SEC or ACC had even the most miniscule advantage by holding these camps -- they'd have done so in a heartbeat.

^asks where he has cried about it, spends the rest of the post crying about it.

:lol: