• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've been around longer than that. Franklin found out about it because the SEC had banned it. Then he went to Penn St, realized the Big10 didn't have the rule and started doing it. Then Harbaugh got it from that, and put the issue in the spotlight.

That Shaw statement claimed the Pac12 had been talking about these things for more than 3 years.
And only the schools in the B1G see no problem with manipulating the system to benefit the schools :L

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So kids not having to pay exorbitant sums of money they don't have to travel around the country to see all of the potential schools is not a benefit to the kids? Okay. Looking at this topic from an extremely narrow viewpoint, you're right. Camps do not create scholarships. They do greatly benefit the student athletes, especially the lower income ones whose only chance to get out of poverty is to get a scholarship and either make it in athletics or get a degree. If you can't see the value in that, you are either stupid or willfully obstinate. Hypothetically, even if the exact same kids end up going to the exact same schools, is it not better that their families not have to spend the kind of money it takes to explore their options?

Sounds like arguments you can make against every recruiting rule made.

How about we go back to the days when there wasn't a limit on scholarships? That would actually benefit more kids right?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bootle earns Nebraska offer at satellite camp

:noidea: Helped this one. There are several other examples that have spoken out since the ruling.

From the article said:
Bootle, who has offers from Appalachian State, Florida Atlantic and UCF, turned heads when he ran his 40.
In other words, while you can argue that Nebraska is an upgrade for him being a P5 program, the benefit was disproportionately Nebraska's, since this kid was going to be a DI scholarship athlete regardless. And one could argue that he would have a better chance to be a standout star at at G5 program, where highly talented players don't compete as much for the spotlight.

If you consider this from Nebraska's perspective, they would find a kid who can run a 4.34 40 to fill that scholarship. But by running the camp, they were able to find someone who was not on their radar and for whom they would face considerably less competition.

So aside from the obvious criticism of "small sample" size when it comes to anecdotal evidence such as this, claiming that Nebraska planned this trip to make opportunities available for kids like Bootle rather than for the benefit of the Nebraska program itself, is absolute height of naivety.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words, while you can argue that Nebraska is an upgrade for him being a P5 program, the benefit was disproportionately Nebraska's, since this kid was going to be a DI scholarship athlete regardless. And one could argue that he would have a better chance to be a standout star at at G5 program, where highly talented players don't compete as much for the spotlight.

If you consider this from Nebraska's perspective, they would find a kid who can run a 4.34 40 to fill that scholarship. But by running the camp, they were able to find someone who was not on their radar and for whom they would face considerably less competition.

So aside from the obvious criticism of "small sample" size when it comes to anecdotal evidence such as this, claiming that Nebraska planned this trip to make opportunities available for kids like Bootle rather than for the benefit of the Nebraska program itself, is absolute height of naivety.
Trying to argue that a kid has a better chance to get noticed at a G5 program is really dumb. How many kids do App. State, UCF, and FAU put into the NFL?

App State: 8
FAU: 8
UCF: 16
NU: 25

Playing in a P5 conference gets players more exposure. And I'm not sure where I have stated that the schools like Nebraska put these camps on for the kids RATHER THAN the programs themselves. I have said from the beginning that this is a benefit to both the kids and the schools.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So kids not having to pay exorbitant sums of money they don't have to travel around the country to see all of the potential schools is not a benefit to the kids? Okay. Looking at this topic from an extremely narrow viewpoint, you're right. Camps do not create scholarships. They do greatly benefit the student athletes, especially the lower income ones whose only chance to get out of poverty is to get a scholarship and either make it in athletics or get a degree. If you can't see the value in that, you are either stupid or willfully obstinate. Hypothetically, even if the exact same kids end up going to the exact same schools, is it not better that their families not have to spend the kind of money it takes to explore their options?

Arguing with them is useless. They know exactly why they wanted the camps banned. It had nothing to do with a level playing field, or any other excuse. It is to protect their recruiting territories. Period.

What they failed to take into account is the negative backlash from the student athletes who greatly benefitted from the camps and who otherwise never could have went to college. They didn't think about the effect on the many camps run around the country who relied on these coaches to help drive interest in the camps. They didn't think about the mid to low level programs who don't have an unlimited source of recruiting funds to travel the country to recruit kids.

Personally, I have no issue with the ban. If anything, I hope they lift the ban for the teams outside the P5 programs. The actual rule doesn't go into effect for a few weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they make a change before the meeting.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arguing with them is useless. They know exactly why they wanted the camps banned. It had nothing to do with a level playing field, or any other excuse. It is to protect their recruiting territories. Period.

What they failed to take into account is the negative backlash from the student athletes who greatly benefitted from the camps and who otherwise never could have went to college. They didn't think about the effect on the many camps run around the country who relied on these coaches to help drive interest in the camps. They didn't think about the mid to low level programs who don't have an unlimited source of recruiting funds to travel the country to recruit kids.

Personally, I have no issue with the ban. If anything, I hope they lift the ban for the teams outside the P5 programs. The actual rule doesn't go into effect for a few weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they make a change before the meeting.
For sure I would like to see it changed for non-P5. That is what the biggest impact of this really ends up being. I think the non-P5 could benefit a lot from hosting P5 coaches too, though.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure I would like to see it changed for non-P5. That is what the biggest impact of this really ends up being. I think the non-P5 could benefit a lot from hosting P5 coaches too, though.
The P5 conferences aren't going to let that happen. They don't have to worry about a mid-tier or low level D-1 coach coming into their recruiting territory and taking a recruit they want. It may happen once in a blue moon, but the overwhelming majority the big school will get who they want.

What they don't want is high profile coaches doing these camps.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been interesting to hear current and future college players as well as sports pundits and others weigh in on this issue. The backlash against the ban on satellite camps is "palpable." Is there a reversal of this decision on the horizon?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been interesting to hear current and future college players as well as sports pundits and others weigh in on this issue. The backlash against the ban on satellite camps is "palpable." Is there a reversal of this decision on the horizon?
Unlikely, but I think at least parts of it need to be re-examined.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a reversal of this decision on the horizon?

No.

The only backlash that might exist would be towards Harbaugh. He's like the fat kid who goes to a party, then goes out in front of everyone talking about all the drugs he just did at said party, then gets the party busted.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

The only backlash that might exist would be towards Harbaugh. He's like the fat kid who goes to a party, then goes out in front of everyone talking about all the drugs he just did at said party, then gets the party busted.
I think @HammerDown may need to make more potato salad :L

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"How did you get it so salty and creamy?" - Michigan fan going for thirds

"I added a secret sauce. It's sperm-based, you dumb fuck."
234's special sauce :L Is the B1G that bad that they need the satellite program that they corrupted to advance? Since the banning of these camps the panic has now exceeded palpable. But these camps are for the kids...... But SEC......... But the other P5 conferences.......

Do you think abusing the rules is wrong?It's mutually beneficial :L

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
234's special sauce :L Is the B1G that bad that they need the satellite program that they corrupted to advance? Since the banning of these camps the panic has now exceeded palpable. But these camps are for the kids...... But SEC......... But the other P5 conferences.......

Do you think abusing the rules is wrong?It's mutually beneficial :L

It's become clear they're all unitedly sticking to the party lines to the bitter end.

Sorry, but there's absolutely no way I can respect that.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing in a P5 conference gets players more exposure.
Exposure doesn't get you to the NFL. Skill and the ability to fit into a team get you into the NFL. Michael Sam got exposure. Steve McNair, not so much. Do you think that the difference between NFL teams noticing Vernon Adams or not was the fact that he played a season at Oregon? I mean seriously - do you have that low an opinion of the talent scouts in the NFL to think that they only see players from the P5 teams? Perhaps you just need to get out more and learn a thing or two about how the world actually works . . .