• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking: James Franklin to be named Penn ST HC

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that it is very nice for a self-contained campus. The facilities are beautiful. It's perfectly manicured. There are many solid sports teams. The women all have that "i'm from a country club community and want to look better than my dad's mistress" look. And there are frat parties, which i've never been a fan of, but they seem better than most.

I just don't like the idea of a self-contained campus. Young kids are stupid, and it's nice to be able to escape and go to different scenes than just "frat boy college lifestyle." I don't know if you've been to Madison, but that's my ideal. You have everything there is in Vandy, but there is also a street connecting it to Downtown Madison, with a mingling of young professionals, students, and other groups. And while there are great frat parties, there are also bars for every mood or atmosphere you can imagine (plus, lake and forest and skyscapers and neighborhoods...it's all walkable).

I think we just have different idea of what a nice campus is. I want to know that a city is around me. That's the biggest problem with Vanderbilt. When you want to escape the campus, it's a pain in the ass with big roads everywhere and an ugly expressway separating it from Downtown. And because it's such a pain the ass, people don't leave the campus very much and the lifestyle sort of becomes monotonous and stale. It's a lot like Wash U for many of the students here, except here there is a walking path to some pretty cool areas.

There's no nice way for me to put this so I'll just say it. You don't know what you're talking about. :suds:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to Nashville for a week on business while with Cintas.

Stayed at that big ass Gaylord Hotel. Unreal.

The Andrew Jackson stern wheeler trip was fun and downtown kicked ass.

One place in my former business travels that I loved. Enough to live there.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin is a great hire

but really, the rest of this crap has been more fun to read :suds:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no nice way for me to put this so I'll just say it. You don't know what you're talking about. :suds:

So there's a nice walking path between Vanderbilt and Downtown Nashville that students often take? Because every time i've been there, you either end up at a frat, just North of campus, or walking past a bunch of empty parking lots and getting awkward looks for being the only guy besides a hobo or two who ever walks across the bridge to Downtown.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that it is very nice for a self-contained campus. The facilities are beautiful. It's perfectly manicured. There are many solid sports teams. The women all have that "i'm from a country club community and want to look better than my dad's mistress" look. And there are frat parties, which i've never been a fan of, but they seem better than most.

I just don't like the idea of a self-contained campus. Young kids are stupid, and it's nice to be able to escape and go to different scenes than just "frat boy college lifestyle." I don't know if you've been to Madison, but that's my ideal. You have everything there is in Vandy, but there is also a street connecting it to Downtown Madison, with a mingling of young professionals, students, and other groups. And while there are great frat parties, there are also bars for every mood or atmosphere you can imagine (plus, lake and forest and skyscapers and neighborhoods...it's all walkable).

I think we just have different idea of what a nice campus is. I want to know that a city is around me. That's the biggest problem with Vanderbilt. When you want to escape the campus, it's a pain in the ass with big roads everywhere and an ugly expressway separating it from Downtown. And because it's such a pain the ass, people don't leave the campus very much and the lifestyle sort of becomes monotonous and stale. It's a lot like Wash U for many of the students here, except here there is a walking path to some pretty cool areas.
This post is a somewhat better description of Vandy. And, I agree that there are roads and expressways between Vandy and downtown that might discourage people from going downtown. Where we differ is this idea that being on a vibrant, beautiful campus means it is monotonous and stale. I actually preferred that ... as I said, I chose Vandy for this very reason. On my university search I went to UNC which is big campus close to a downtown, then to Wake which is secluded, then to Vandy which was like Wake but with a big city. I fell in love with the Vandy feel.

At the end of the day, it's to each his own. I get why you like what you like ... so I respect that. But it takes all kinds to make up the world and what you find monotonous others find comfortable and exciting. Who's to judge?

By the way, I have Athens to compare it to. Although the law school is on the north campus and I rarely went to south campus, it was right near a vibrant downtown with bars, etc. Not as large as Madison, but I got that experience in Athens.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got everything he wanted (including putting names on jerseys). he definitely helped to put a finger in the dike but obviously if he bolted just after 2 years, his words to the kids had very little truth in them.

personally I don't think we can even judge this. we are lucky he didn't bolt when the sanctions hit. would not surprise me if some internal deal between him & the school was made when those sanctions hit.

just be grateful for the 2 years he gave psu because he showed up big and kept the FB program functioning.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there's a nice walking path between Vanderbilt and Downtown Nashville that students often take? Because every time i've been there, you either end up at a frat, just North of campus, or walking past a bunch of empty parking lots and getting awkward looks for being the only guy besides a hobo or two who ever walks across the bridge to Downtown.

ok this is in a nutshell my experiences with vandy. granted i was never there as a regular student, but from what it appeared to me the average student doesn't go into the downtown area on a regular basis.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing ... when I was there - 77-81 - you didn't want to go downtown. It was a tough place to be. Printers Alley was not where some preppy Vandy student wanted to go. Today alot of my friends have kids at Vandy and they tell me they spend a fair amount of time downtown. Moreover, you have the Exit/In right across the street, and the Blue Bird cafe is just a few miles away. My guess is that plenty of Vandy students have no problem having fun downtown, going to NFL and NHL games, all within 10 minutes of the campus.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are restaurants, bars, clubs, house parties, etc. EVERYWHERE every night of the week without the need to go downtown. And if you want to go downtown for some reason, 3-4 guys in a cab from 21st Ave to 2nd Ave will cost you a couple of dollars each. But like I said, it's all a matter of what you like.

When were you last there?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin is a great hire and this is most definitely a step UP.

Now, not to derail the thread again, but what's this shit about playing "dress up" for football games? I'm in the SE and ya'll have seen my pics. "Dress up?" That's for fans that care more about tailgating than the football game. Ask the cocks. They like that Ken and Barbie shit on Saturdays. :nod:

Props to Franklin. I think you'll see PSU easing back into the spotlight for all the right reasons.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok this is in a nutshell my experiences with vandy. granted i was never there as a regular student, but from what it appeared to me the average student doesn't go into the downtown area on a regular basis.

You now have your finger on the pulse of "average student." You should start a campus blog.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing ... when I was there - 77-81 - you didn't want to go downtown. It was a tough place to be. Printers Alley was not where some preppy Vandy student wanted to go. Today alot of my friends have kids at Vandy and they tell me they spend a fair amount of time downtown. Moreover, you have the Exit/In right across the street, and the Blue Bird cafe is just a few miles away. My guess is that plenty of Vandy students have no problem having fun downtown, going to NFL and NHL games, all within 10 minutes of the campus.

Remember "The Classic Cat?" :laugh:

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just be grateful for the 2 years he gave psu because he showed up big and kept the FB program functioning.

Oh I am, don't get me wrong. Right now though I'm more grateful that he went to the NFL instead of college thus not taking his recruits anywhere with him. Franklin is a home run hire in his place. I would not have been happy with anyone else. Hiring someone that might be an even better CFB coach than he was eases the anger that I had with LOB.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are restaurants, bars, clubs, house parties, etc. EVERYWHERE every night of the week without the need to go downtown. And if you want to go downtown for some reason, 3-4 guys in a cab from 21st Ave to 2nd Ave will cost you a couple of dollars each. But like I said, it's all a matter of what you like.

When were you last there?

Early last summer (sometime around mid-May). I've been there four or five times.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blue Bird Cafe is awesome

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin is a great hire and this is most definitely a step UP.

Now, not to derail the thread again, but what's this shit about playing "dress up" for football games? I'm in the SE and ya'll have seen my pics. "Dress up?"
That's for fans that care more about tailgating than the football game. Ask the cocks. They like that Ken and Barbie shit on Saturdays. :nod:

Props to Franklin. I think you'll see PSU easing back into the spotlight for all the right reasons.

Ya for me personally, I go for the more "unshaven turd" look that was mentioned in the Bucket List thread.

Fark dressin up for foosball games.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early last summer (sometime around mid-May). I've been there four or five times.

Did you get to spend much time on West End? I love a place down on 2nd Ave called The Beer Sellar but other than that, I always spent more time in the Vandy area or Green Hills. I just can't imagine anyone thinking that's boring.

Damn, I want to go back.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other than 1 maybe 3 bars downtown the students still don't go down there much. Between West end, Demonbreun and the 21st ave./gulch explosion, which are all with in walking distance, there is no reason to go downtown with all the folks in white tennis shoes and cowboy hats. Unless you are looking for a more rural setting Vandy would be a great place to be a college student.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than 1 maybe 3 bars downtown the students still don't go down there much. Between West end, Demonbreun and the 21st ave./gulch explosion, which are all with in walking distance, there is no reason to go downtown with all the folks in white tennis shoes and cowboy hats. Unless you are looking for a more rural setting Vandy would be a great place to be a college student.

I agree and I think 95% of Vandy students would too, unless they're Predators and Titans fans. I love Downtown but always had more fun closer to West End.

Like cougars? Your chances of bagging one aren't higher anywhere in the country than here during Happy Hour.

Lounge | Union Station