• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking: James Franklin to be named Penn ST HC

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you get to spend much time on West End? I love a place down on 2nd Ave called The Beer Sellar but other than that, I always spent more time in the Vandy area or Green Hills. I just can't imagine anyone thinking that's boring.

Damn, I want to go back.

I spent a bit in the West End. Don't remember exactly where I went, but they were 3 or so bars just NE of campus. I'm going back next summer for my best friend's bachelor party (Nashville's right in between me and my three best friends who live around the country). I'll probably forget them by then, but any tips would be appreciated.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid is gonna be good after Hack leaves. We should be set at QB for awhile now.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent a bit in the West End. Don't remember exactly where I went, but they were 3 or so bars just NE of campus. I'm going back next summer for my best friend's bachelor party (Nashville's right in between me and my three best friends who live around the country). I'll probably forget them by then, but any tips would be appreciated.

You can find whatever you want, running the range between sleazy honky-tonk dives to classy joints where Eddie George and the mayor hang out. I'm 40 so my favorite for a long time has been 'Boundry on 20th Ave. Me and my bro walked upstairs to the bar one Saturday morning and Keith Bulluck (Titans) was sitting there. But the ladies? Oh man let me tell ya! :drool: When you get close to going, start a Nashville thread and we can blow it up.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS: John isn't even old enough to get into bars.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to Nashville for a week on business while with Cintas.

Stayed at that big ass Gaylord Hotel. Unreal.

The Andrew Jackson stern wheeler trip was fun and downtown kicked ass.

One place in my former business travels that I loved. Enough to live there.

That garden thing at Gaylord is fucking crazy.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you get to spend much time on West End? I love a place down on 2nd Ave called The Beer Sellar but other than that, I always spent more time in the Vandy area or Green Hills. I just can't imagine anyone thinking that's boring.

Damn, I want to go back.
Frat brother of mine opened Bohannon Brewing Company, and then later Market Street Brewery and Public House.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I foresee some NCAA sanctions coming down on Vandy here shortly. Only reason why anyone would take that nightmare of a job.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,428.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you couldnt pay me enough to go for that job. your entering an absolute zoo

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State is one of the best schools in America and anyone who has visited that school very quickly understands why that is the case. The university is spread out over several square miles of beautiful rolling hills surrounded by the Allegheny mountains and has some great facilities to use. The school even has it's own golf course and even that is an excellent place to play golf. Very low crime rate in the area, great academics, wonderful sport facilities...what's not to like. Sandusky wrecked a great program, however things pass and Penn State will be a contender for the Big 10 title once again. To say that Vanderbilt is remotely comparable to Penn State, other than academics, is a big mistake. Vandy is a great school and is very demanding in their academics, however in no way can be compared with Penn State for an overall college experience; and certainly will never be a football threat.

Lawdog..I have been to the Vanderbilt campus and it is no where near as spacious nor does it have the number of facilities that of Penn State and the setting is nothing like the beautiful Penn state. I was born and raised in Bellefonte; just 7 miles from the campus and probably have a better insight as to what is there than you. When you say you are correcting me; I am offended. My opinion and is not subject to your correction...how arrogant. You see above, I give full credit to the academic programs at Vanderbilt. Their standards do exceed that of Penn State; although Penn State does quite well in their own right. To compare the sport program of that of Vandy to Penn State is ridiculous. No need to expand on that. Another poster who claims to be a Penn State fan stated something about 60,000 people in the stadium for senior day. since 2001 when the Stadium was expanded, the average attendance is in excess of 100,000 so I doubt senior day drew just 60,000. 2012 was the worst attendance(wonder why) at 96,730. This year it was more; just don't have the figures. Game I attended; Michigan/Penn State there were 108,000. I seriously doubt the football attendance at Vandy is remotely close. They need a bigger stadium and enough interest to attend the games. Vanderbilt is a wonderful university; however, IMO, the entire college experience at Penn State is much better. My opinion and don't need you to be correcting; disagree, yes, correct, no. My opinion; I have never done that to any of your statements. The purpose of this thread is to determine if Franklin is moving up and it is my opinion that is a no brainer; Penn State will soon again be a great football university and will be a serious challenge to the rest of the Big 10.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another poster who claims to be a Penn State fan stated something about 60,000 people in the stadium for senior day. since 2001 when the Stadium was expanded, the average attendance is in excess of 100,000 so I doubt senior day drew just 60,000. 2012 was the worst attendance(wonder why) at 96,730. This year it was more; just don't have the figures. Game I attended; Michigan/Penn State there were 108,000. I seriously doubt the football attendance at Vandy is remotely close. They need a bigger stadium and enough interest to attend the games.

Here ya go

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not read all the posts yet, but:

Yes, Penn State has had some severe issues (some because of an evil fuck, and some because a legendary coach stayed too long, building too much of a built in, comfy, cult of popularity. We had something similar kind of, with MB)

However, I think OBrien helped to chop down some of that. And this is Penn State. A good coach will have them back to super-power status. It will happen at some point.

I think it's a good hire.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when Penn State is back, schools like OSU, Michigan, Rutgers, will all suffer somewhat in recruiting.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this hire is good one for Penn State.

Another topic is, Is it good for Franklin? If he is from Penn., born and raised, and decided that the NFL with the mess at Cleveland, or live in Detroit, or deal with that owner and prima donna QB in Washington, well it probably is as well.

Should he have stayed at Vandy for another year, and see what's available later on, I don't know. Probably, go back to my top point, if he's Penn. born and raised, there may not be anything better than to be head coach at Penn State.

I think in the end it will work out well for them both.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawdog..I have been to the Vanderbilt campus and it is no where near as spacious nor does it have the number of facilities that of Penn State and the setting is nothing like the beautiful Penn state. I was born and raised in Bellefonte; just 7 miles from the campus and probably have a better insight as to what is there than you. When you say you are correcting me; I am offended. My opinion and is not subject to your correction...how arrogant. You see above, I give full credit to the academic programs at Vanderbilt. Their standards do exceed that of Penn State; although Penn State does quite well in their own right. To compare the sport program of that of Vandy to Penn State is ridiculous. No need to expand on that. Another poster who claims to be a Penn State fan stated something about 60,000 people in the stadium for senior day. since 2001 when the Stadium was expanded, the average attendance is in excess of 100,000 so I doubt senior day drew just 60,000. 2012 was the worst attendance(wonder why) at 96,730. This year it was more; just don't have the figures. Game I attended; Michigan/Penn State there were 108,000. I seriously doubt the football attendance at Vandy is remotely close. They need a bigger stadium and enough interest to attend the games. Vanderbilt is a wonderful university; however, IMO, the entire college experience at Penn State is much better. My opinion and don't need you to be correcting; disagree, yes, correct, no. My opinion; I have never done that to any of your statements. The purpose of this thread is to determine if Franklin is moving up and it is my opinion that is a no brainer; Penn State will soon again be a great football university and will be a serious challenge to the rest of the Big 10.
People sure have a hard time concentrating on what is being discussed.

- In the post to which I responded, you were talking about the general college experience, more than you were about PSU athletics. No sane person would argue that Vandy's sports facilities are better. And I had already posted several times that it was a good hire to get Franklin, and that I thought it was a great move up for him. You went on about things like having a golf course, and crime rates, and beautiful rolling hills. When you minimized Vandy's overall college experience, I decided to give an contrasting opinion.

- You stated that "[Vandy] in no way can be compared with Penn State for an overall college experience." I stated my opinion - that's nonsense. I've posted several times since as to the reasoning for my opinion. You can agree or not agree, I dont' really care. A number of others have jumped in agreeing with me. At the end of the day, it is a personal preference, but the idea that the overall college experience at Vandy somehow pales to that at PSU is ridiculous.

- You don't even know the size of Vandy's stadium, or their attendance. It is small at around 50,000. The rarely sell out. The last thing in the world Vandy needs right now is a bigger stadium that will be even more empty.

This is how I responded to your post:

Ugh ...

1. Pretty much every university of size has their own golf course. Just picking nits.

2. Vandy is not remotely comparable to PSU in academics ... it is far superior.

3. The Vandy overall college experience is just as good if not better than PSU ... you act like Vandy is some small liberal arts college. Other than a big stadium, there ins't much you get at PSU you don't get at Vandy.

Arrogant? Correcting you instead of giving my opinion? I have no idea what you mean. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. That is what we do here on a sports board. In the fist line I acknowledged I was picking nits which basically means I am just pointing out a fact that isn't important but you might want to know. The little nodding head in the second line means that my dig on academics was somewhat tongue in cheek. I realize PSU is a good school. In the third line I gave my opinion in contrast to yours. Funny, but at no time in any of there posts have I ever put PSU down. Yet some of you certainly want to put down Vandy when you have no idea what it's like to be at Vandy for 4 years. I am not sure why you got your panties all in a wad for me simply giving a contradicting opinion.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should he have stayed at Vandy for another year, and see what's available later on, I don't know. Probably, go back to my top point, if he's Penn. born and raised, there may not be anything better than to be head coach at Penn State.
I think he had to go ... his recruiting was shot. Everyone could see he wanted to move on. A new coach will be able to come in and save some of the class.

Great move for both parties in my opinion.