• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking: James Franklin to be named Penn ST HC

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no John fan, and i've never been to Penn State, but Vanderbilt is not a great social scene by any means. The campus is beautiful, but it's sort of isolated. Even though it is geographically close to the Downtown, there are big roads everywhere and it's not really walkable at all. There's not a real college town feel with tons of unique and cheap dining, shopping, and drinking options. It feels like rich kid frat-boy central without a soul or any partying which doesn't involve bros downing Natty Lite or whatever bros drink today.

Of course, everything I know about PSU says it is pretty isolated and has many of the same problems as Vanderbilt. At least Vandy is in a relatively big city, even if its not one with the city like a Wisconsin or an Ohio State.

this is what i am talking about I think its totally unfair for anyone to say one is better than the other without experiencing both. i have been to both and for me its pretty clear cut that one is better than the other.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin played football at East Stroudsbug. A D2 PSAC school not too far from PSU. I'm sure he's pinching himself a little bit right now.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no John fan, and i've never been to Penn State, but Vanderbilt is not a great social scene by any means. The campus is beautiful, but it's sort of isolated. Even though it is geographically close to the Downtown, there are big roads everywhere and it's not really walkable at all. There's not a real college town feel with tons of unique and cheap dining, shopping, and drinking options. It feels like rich kid frat-boy central without a soul or any partying which doesn't involve bros downing Natty Lite or whatever bros drink today.

Of course, everything I know about PSU says it is pretty isolated and has many of the same problems as Vanderbilt. At least Vandy is in a relatively big city, even if its not one with the city like a Wisconsin or an Ohio State.

I love it down there but I guess it's all a matter of what you like. There's no better social scene I know of than West End, 21st Ave, downtown Nashville right now. If you go there and think it's not fun, you're just allot different than most.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read the whole thread and OD was spot on.

Doesnt sound like the best destination in the world with the "Paterno people" lurking

O'Brien

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a [expletive] what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.”

“I’m trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty [expletive] sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, it’s skewed as an excuse. And I’m not an excuse-maker. I’m trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. That’s all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as I’m the head football coach here.”

“That’s why, in probably about a month, they’re gonna be [expletive] looking for a new coach.”

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You couldn't be more wrong. It's 450 acres and there are hardly any roads that cut through campus proper, at all. There are roads around the athletic facilites, and greek houses, but they are narrow and tree lined roads with a 15 mile per hour limit. In fact, that is one of the reasons I went there was the fact that the campus is so enclosed that when you are on it you don't even realize that Nashville is all around you. I didn't have a car until I was a senior and rarely used it ... you can walk from one end of the campus to the other in 15 minutes of less. With 95% of the kids living on campus, the only way to get around is to walk.

Go to any of the college listing where they discuss the social scene ... Vanderbilt is regularly rated one of the top schools. To say there is no partying is simply crazy. The frat houses have band parties after every game, and the parties are open to the non-frat members.

I agree it doesn't have a college town feel, because it isn't a college town. It's a university nestled in a big city.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is what i am talking about I think its totally unfair for anyone to say one is better than the other without experiencing both. i have been to both and for me its pretty clear cut that one is better than the other.

Since you're the only one qualified to express an opinion, we'll take your word for it, Bubba.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read the whole thread and OD was spot on.

Doesnt sound like the best destination in the world with the "Paterno people" lurking

O'Brien

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a [expletive] what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.”

“I’m trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty [expletive] sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, it’s skewed as an excuse. And I’m not an excuse-maker. I’m trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. That’s all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as I’m the head football coach here.”

“That’s why, in probably about a month, they’re gonna be [expletive] looking for a new coach.”

Sorry but this was a concocted load of bullshit to take the blame for leaving off of himself.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"College Experience" is too subjective to rank IMO.

But, just on the merits of the head football job, I think most people agree that the PSU gig is a clearly superior spot.
I am certainly not arguing that if you've read my posts. I wish Franklin well ... PSU got a great hire.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You couldn't be more wrong. It's 450 acres and there are hardly any roads that cut through campus proper, at all. There are roads around the athletic facilites, and greek houses, but they are narrow and tree lined roads with a 15 mile per hour limit. In fact, that is one of the reasons I went there was the fact that the campus is so enclosed that when you are on it you don't even realize that Nashville is all around you. I didn't have a car until I was a senior and rarely used it ... you can walk from one end of the campus to the other in 15 minutes of less. With 95% of the kids living on campus, the only way to get around is to walk.

Go to any of the college listing where they discuss the social scene ... Vanderbilt is regularly rated one of the top schools. To say there is no partying is simply crazy. The frat houses have band parties after every game, and the parties are open to the non-frat members.

I agree it doesn't have a college town feel, because it isn't a college town. It's a university nestled in a big city.

John is wrapping with explosives after this. You went too far.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but this was a concocted load of bullshit to take the blame for leaving off of himself.

so you are saying Coach O'Brien has no integrity?

Not buying it man.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are saying Coach O'Brien has no integrity?

Not buying it man.

He got everything he wanted (including putting names on jerseys). he definitely helped to put a finger in the dike but obviously if he bolted just after 2 years, his words to the kids had very little truth in them.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you that it is very nice for a self-contained campus. The facilities are beautiful. It's perfectly manicured. There are many solid sports teams. The women all have that "i'm from a country club community and want to look better than my dad's mistress" look. And there are frat parties, which i've never been a fan of, but they seem better than most.

I just don't like the idea of a self-contained campus. Young kids are stupid, and it's nice to be able to escape and go to different scenes than just "frat boy college lifestyle." I don't know if you've been to Madison, but that's my ideal. You have everything there is in Vandy, but there is also a street connecting it to Downtown Madison, with a mingling of young professionals, students, and other groups. And while there are great frat parties, there are also bars for every mood or atmosphere you can imagine (plus, lake and forest and skyscapers and neighborhoods...it's all walkable).

I think we just have different idea of what a nice campus is. I want to know that a city is around me. That's the biggest problem with Vanderbilt. When you want to escape the campus, it's a pain in the ass with big roads everywhere and an ugly expressway separating it from Downtown. And because it's such a pain the ass, people don't leave the campus very much and the lifestyle sort of becomes monotonous and stale. It's a lot like Wash U for many of the students here, except here there is a walking path to some pretty cool areas.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else not give a flying fuck if John has been to Nashville or not?

Lets get this back on topic! Franklin FTW!!

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else not give a flying fuck if John has been to Nashville or not?

Lets get this back on topic! Franklin FTW!!

I'm certainly convinced. In fact, he's now one of my go-to "sources" for anything Nashville or Vandy related. Credible, objective and well-respected. :nod: