• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking: James Franklin to be named Penn ST HC

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawdog..I have been to the Vanderbilt campus and it is no where near as spacious nor does it have the number of facilities that of Penn State and the setting is nothing like the beautiful Penn state. I was born and raised in Bellefonte; just 7 miles from the campus and probably have a better insight as to what is there than you. When you say you are correcting me; I am offended. My opinion and is not subject to your correction...how arrogant. You see above, I give full credit to the academic programs at Vanderbilt. Their standards do exceed that of Penn State; although Penn State does quite well in their own right. To compare the sport program of that of Vandy to Penn State is ridiculous. No need to expand on that. Another poster who claims to be a Penn State fan stated something about 60,000 people in the stadium for senior day. since 2001 when the Stadium was expanded, the average attendance is in excess of 100,000 so I doubt senior day drew just 60,000. 2012 was the worst attendance(wonder why) at 96,730. This year it was more; just don't have the figures. Game I attended; Michigan/Penn State there were 108,000. I seriously doubt the football attendance at Vandy is remotely close. They need a bigger stadium and enough interest to attend the games. Vanderbilt is a wonderful university; however, IMO, the entire college experience at Penn State is much better. My opinion and don't need you to be correcting; disagree, yes, correct, no. My opinion; I have never done that to any of your statements. The purpose of this thread is to determine if Franklin is moving up and it is my opinion that is a no brainer; Penn State will soon again be a great football university and will be a serious challenge to the rest of the Big 10.

Your going to have a hard time convincing us that rural Pennsylvania has more to offer than Nashville. I always thought it was like Memphis til I went for a conference for a week and liked it so much my wife and daughter got on a plane and came to check it out. It stomps all over Memphis and Charlotte. And your trying way too hard to win us over; we already know Vandy isn't a football school so its not really saying much. The point you dont seem to understand is this isnt even about Vandy vs. Penn State, its that many felt Franklin could have gotten a much better job than that.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People sure have a hard time concentrating on what is being discussed.

- In the post to which I responded, you were talking about the general college experience, more than you were about PSU athletics. No sane person would argue that Vandy's sports facilities are better. And I had already posted several times that it was a good hire to get Franklin, and that I thought it was a great move up for him. You went on about things like having a golf course, and crime rates, and beautiful rolling hills. When you minimized Vandy's overall college experience, I decided to give an contrasting opinion.

- You stated that "[Vandy] in no way can be compared with Penn State for an overall college experience." I stated my opinion - that's nonsense. I've posted several times since as to the reasoning for my opinion. You can agree or not agree, I dont' really care. A number of others have jumped in agreeing with me. At the end of the day, it is a personal preference, but the idea that the overall college experience at Vandy somehow pales to that at PSU is ridiculous.

- You don't even know the size of Vandy's stadium, or their attendance. It is small at around 50,000. The rarely sell out. The last thing in the world Vandy needs right now is a bigger stadium that will be even more empty.

This is how I responded to your post:

Arrogant? Correcting you instead of giving my opinion? I have no idea what you mean. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. That is what we do here on a sports board. In the fist line I acknowledged I was picking nits which basically means I am just pointing out a fact that isn't important but you might want to know. The little nodding head in the second line means that my dig on academics was somewhat tongue in cheek. I realize PSU is a good school. In the third line I gave my opinion in contrast to yours. Funny, but at no time in any of there posts have I ever put PSU down. Yet some of you certainly want to put down Vandy when you have no idea what it's like to be at Vandy for 4 years. I am not sure why you got your panties all in a wad for me simply giving a contradicting opinion.

i think you have a bit of arrogance with yourself bro. people are defending your point of view but others are defending our point of view as well. to say the campus/student life of vandy < PSU is by no means an insult at vandy. PSU is a special campus and of all the schools I have visited the campus as well as the student life is pretty impressive and no other school really comes close to it. I like vandy, I really do, they are the one SEC school that doesn't tick me off but you got to be a little bit reasonable here. You say you are just stating an opinion and not insulting anyone but the very notion that you are putting out there that vandy in these area's > PSU is insulting because these are widely believed to be some of the biggest strengths about school by the students/alumni. Its like saying in some form that Vanderbilt has a better football program than Tennessee ==> the Vols fans are not going to take kindly to that. This is something that PSU is known for and don't take offense if people disagree with you about it. Especially if its by people who say that they have been to both places and have come up with an opinion of which is better based on their experiences.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you have a bit of arrogance with yourself bro. people are defending your point of view but others are defending our point of view as well. to say the campus/student life of vandy < PSU is by no means an insult at vandy. PSU is a special campus and of all the schools I have visited the campus as well as the student life is pretty impressive and no other school really comes close to it. I like vandy, I really do, they are the one SEC school that doesn't tick me off but you got to be a little bit reasonable here. You say you are just stating an opinion and not insulting anyone but the very notion that you are putting out there that vandy in these area's > PSU is insulting because these are widely believed to be some of the biggest strengths about school by the students/alumni. Its like saying in some form that Vanderbilt has a better football program than Tennessee ==> the Vols fans are not going to take kindly to that. This is something that PSU is known for and don't take offense if people disagree with you about it. Especially if its by people who say that they have been to both places and have come up with an opinion of which is better based on their experiences.

1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it appears alabama fans are not even capable of simple Math........

It appears you are incapable of being honest. If we assume 1992 was the year you were born, that pretty much puts you right at 21. So you are just barely NOW old enough to go into bars. Yet, we are supposed to believe you actually know about the night life?

:laugh3:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this hire is good one for Penn State.

Another topic is, Is it good for Franklin? If he is from Penn., born and raised, and decided that the NFL with the mess at Cleveland, or live in Detroit, or deal with that owner and prima donna QB in Washington, well it probably is as well.

Should he have stayed at Vandy for another year, and see what's available later on, I don't know. Probably, go back to my top point, if he's Penn. born and raised, there may not be anything better than to be head coach at Penn State.

I think in the end it will work out well for them both.

That's what many are saying.

But, as you said, for him Penn State might be the pinnacle. Objectively it's hard to justify a guy whose stock is off the charts settling on Penn State when he obviously had other options, the least of which was to get a massive raise from Vandy and then re-evaluate at season's end.

Like I said, I'll be pulling for Penn State next season and am happy for the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he figures if he can win at Vandy and this current PSU program then he can win anywhere? :noidea:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, the James Franklin coverage is getting silly. Are there choppers hovering over 21st Ave?

BREAKING: James Franklin has neither confirmed nor denied that he is upset that the McRib is seasonal but SportsHoopla "sources" are working it.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears you are incapable of being honest. If we assume 1992 was the year you were born, that pretty much puts you right at 21. So you are just barely NOW old enough to go into bars. Yet, we are supposed to believe you actually know about the night life?

:laugh3:

ahh you finally learned how to use a calculator.

and quick question: are you the type that believes that no one under 21 drinks?????

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, the James Franklin coverage is getting silly. Are there choppers hovering over 21st Ave?

BREAKING: James Franklin has neither confirmed nor denied that he is upset that the McRib is seasonal but SportsHoopla "sources" are working it.

Yep. Still no white smoke coming from the chimney at Old Main yet.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Widespread reports at this hour indicate that James Franklin is eating dinner with his family. To help us understand just exactly what this means, let's bring in college football analyst..."

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No.We'd laugh at that. My follow up question would be " Tell us all what Penn St. nuts taste like?"

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahh you finally learned how to use a calculator.

and quick question: are you the type that believes that no one under 21 drinks?????

In bars in downtown nashville? Capable of actually evaluating how good or bad a place is? No.

And full disclosure, I grew up many of my years in Nashville, know the area very well and live just outside now.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In bars in downtown nashville? Capable of actually evaluating how good or bad a place is? No.

did i ever evaluate??? Nope just said I have been to a bar that someone posted a picture of with an unforgettable mural

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're getting trolled by john01992. Am I the last to realize it?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what many are saying.

[MEDIA=twitter]421332502046060544[/MEDIA]

But, as you said, for him Penn State might be the pinnacle. Objectively it's hard to justify a guy whose stock is off the charts settling on Penn State when he obviously had other options, the least of which was to get a massive raise from Vandy and then re-evaluate at season's end.

Like I said, I'll be pulling for Penn State next season and am happy for the fans.

yeah, he was the 'hot' commodity at the moment, and seemingly had his pick of the options. Maybe he should have stayed, and waited to see what was available later.

The thing I'm thinking is, maybe Penn State is that place, that as a kid growing up, was the dream place. Maybe nostalgia factored in, I don't know. I've never been there, and rural Pennsylvania would be like living in a foreign country to me, but I know it's a beautiful area. Then again, I think the hill country outside of Austin is heaven; there is that bit of nostalgia with me and this area.

Oh well, good luck to him and Penn State. Having Penn State back as a football power would be good for the sport I think.