• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boys sign Smith for $98 too much Lions fans?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So paying 15 a year for an elite DT is an overpay initially, but I think it will be about on par by the end of the contract due to cap increase. Can't know for sure though so it is a gamble.

I'd much rather not have the Lions be the trendsetter when it comes to handing out contracts that may or may not become the norm 5+ years down the road.

Detroit has a perfect example of a contract extension staring right at them. Geno Atkins has been more productive in Suh in less games and didn't have the luxury of a monster rookie contract. He signed for less than Suh was given in his rookie deal.

I know for me -- THAT is what scares me about the Suh extension. Most employees, after having a successful start to their career, expect a raise -- and Suh has had a successful start to his career. When looking at the big picture though -- Suh was handed a fortune without ever playing a snap and paid as the highest paid DT in the league.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 million a year is still way too much to pay a DT. That'd be roughly 40% more than the Bengals signed Atkins to (which I believe was 11 million a season -- not 100% on that number though)

If Suh was putting up numbers that blew away every other DT in the NFL right now -- I could absolutely get on board with paying him that much. .
The issue is, though, that with the salary cap rapidly rising, the next wave of contracts at the position will likely jump a fair amount.

I could live with $15 million per year if that's what it came down to. In 3 or 4 years, by the time that contract is up, that number likely won't seem so high. I don't think I'd want to go much higher, but if we can get him re-signed for $15 million per season I'm on board.

As far as what Tyron Smith signed. I would give Suh 6 year 75 million dollar contract right now, which equates roughly to the 8 year 98 million Smith just signed. Problem is -- Suh would laugh in Detroit's face if that is what they offered him, IMO. The reason for Suh's being shorter -- he is 4 years older than Smith.
I read something like this and I think "this guy gets it," which is odd, because we've done nothing but agree on this topic, and that's unusual.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is the per year that worries fans, not the total amount.

That's what it looks like so far. The topic is "...98 million too much?" then later in the sub topics I ask "what if Suh signed this exact contract..." for expanded discussion.

Based on the replies so far, it looks like you are right. Fans aren't worried about dedicating 98 million to Suh IF it was spread out like Smith's. But if not then no.

I'd give him that $$$ with less years. Not too much for him imo.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone believes he will take a pay cut. The problem for the Lions is -- he IS the highest paid defensive tackle already because of his first contract. So where do you go from there? Do you pay him 30-40% more than the next highest paid DT? He is a great player, but that is absurd -- Just like it was absurd to have to pay a player as the highest paid DT, just because of his draft position, when he had never played a down in the NFL.

'Zactly. He was worth every penny, but that high of a rookie deal has us in a real bind right now...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Andy Dalton deal is the perfect example of contract inflation.

When Stafford signed his extension a lot of people couldn't believe he was going to get that kind of $$ per year. Now he's creeping closer and closer to an "average" contract for an established NFL QB.

I think Suh would be in the same boat as that...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith's contract looks good to me. After 2016 it basically becomes a year-to-year contract at what could be below market value for an elite LT. They could cut him after 2016 & only take a $4 mil cap hit or after 2017 & take a $2 mil cap hit or at any point after 2018 & take no cap hit.

People need to remember, QB(s), LT(s), CB(s), & pass rushers get paid in today's NFL.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith's contract looks good to me. After 2016 it basically becomes a year-to-year contract at what could be below market value for an elite LT. They could cut him after 2016 & only take a $4 mil cap hit or after 2017 & take a $2 mil cap hit or at any point after 2018 & take no cap hit.

People need to remember, QB(s), LT(s), CB(s), & pass rushers get paid in today's NFL.

YUP. Note that DT doesn't make that cut.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YUP. Note that DT doesn't make that cut.

Guys like Suh aren't restricted to the pay their position dictates.

Suh will deservedly be paid as one of the top defensive players in the NFL, period.

Same with JJ Watt. When it's time for his contract to come up, he also won't be confined to the DT dollar ladder. He will be paid deservedly so as one of the top D players in the NFL, regardless of position.

Mayhew fans keep trying to base all of this as if the Lions are calling the shots here. They've obviously already offered him way more than most Mayhew fans think they should, and he's has said no. He probably just doesn't want to play for Mayhew anymore, and who could blame him.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Suh aren't restricted to the pay their position dictates.

Suh will deservedly be paid as one of the top defensive players in the NFL, period.

Same with JJ Watt. When it's time for his contract to come up, he also won't be confined to the DT dollar ladder. He will be paid deservedly so as one of the top D players in the NFL, regardless of position.

Mayhew fans keep trying to base all of this as if the Lions are calling the shots here. They've obviously already offered him way more than most Mayhew fans think they should, and he's has said no. He probably just doesn't want to play for Mayhew anymore, and who could blame him.

Makes sense since Watt plays DE and they're one of the premium positions. They probably won't restrict him to FB money either.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love when someone says "period." after something, as if that makes it an official fact.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense since Watt plays DE and they're one of the premium positions. They probably won't restrict him to FB money either.

Point is position won't matter. JJ Watt won't demand that he be paid as the top DE he will be paid as one of the top D players in the league. So will Suh, regardless of who signs him.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love when someone says "period." after something, as if that makes it an official fact.

Suh is leaving the Lions, get used to it... you will see Suh wearing another teams colors in 2015. PERIOD

Mayhew will still be employed by the Lions. Why? No fucking clue.

It will be okay, life will go on...OR WILL IT?

sky+is+falling.jpg

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is leaving the Lions, get used to it... you will see Suh wearing another teams colors in 2015. PERIOD

Mayhew will still be employed by the Lions. Why? No fucking clue.

It will be okay, life will go on...OR WILL IT?

sky+is+falling.jpg

How did you size that?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the mascot for that school?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love a strong defense you can skimp at DT! You absolutely can not go cheap at LT. They man up against the other teams best DE. And if you are paying a QB Romo type money you don't protect his blindside with a bargain LT.

don't think the Suh vs Smith contract comparison all that fair for that reason. If you had to find a rookie or FA DT I am ok with that. A rookie LT or FA better be a high 1st rounder or a guy with tons of experience