• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boys sign Smith for $98 too much Lions fans?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys signed LT Tyron Smith to an eight-year, $98 million extension.
Smith is now set to make $109 million over the next ten years, making him the second highest paid tackle in the league. Still only 23, Smith has already established himself as one of the preeminent tackles, and will anchor a Dallas offensive line that could be the best in the NFL this season. The Cowboys will now turn their attention to locking up Dez Bryant, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Jul 30 - 2:15 PM
Source: [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]494542909501222914[/MEDIA]"]Ian Rapoport on Twitter[/ame]

Interested to see what this group thinks of this contract seeing as we've been debating the Suh deal for months.

1) Did the Cowboys pay too much to one player? Why or why not?

2) I'm sure some will argue that LT > DT but does anyone think Smith is better overall player than Suh?

3) Smith was a player the Lions were looking at when he came out, had they drafted them would you be happy with this contract or prefer they let him go and sign 3 or 4 other guys with this money?

4) If Suh signed this exact contract today, would you love it or hate it?

5) Does this signing make the Cowboys better or worse?

Last edited by a moderator:

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO problem with the Smith contract. He's young, very talented, continues to improve and never has been any trouble. Giving Suh anything like this contract would be flat out stupid. Being the headcase he is, it's jut a matter of time before he detonates like a time bomb.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being the headcase he is, it's jut a matter of time before he detonates like a time bomb.

Just for the record, Suh has not missed a game in the 2 years since the stomp. No suspensions. (despite the stigma)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for the record, Suh has not missed a game in the 2 years since the stomp. No suspensions. (despite the stigma)

When and if a Dez contract comes out, I think that will be an even better Suh comparison thread. I view both guys the same, extremely talented and able to be a top 5 at their position. But, they both come with the feeling that you could wake up any morning to find them in the newspaper for the wrong reason.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, they both come with the feeling that you could wake up any morning to find them in the newspaper for the wrong reason.

Hard to argue. Didn't Smith have a big problem with greedy family members at one time? I know that's not his fault but stuff like that can become a nasty distraction.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I like this comparison is because they're both linemen, and Smith's contract is close to what I think Suh will end up getting (2nd or 3rd highest LT $$$ is about equal to what I think he'll get).

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith's contract was an absolute steal for the Cowboys.

We could only dream of getting Suh for $11 million per season. How on Earth could anyone be upset if Suh somehow fell down, hit his head, and signed that deal? He's not even close to this annual average, otherwise a deal would have been done in 5 minutes. Lewand would have said "You're willing to sign a ten year deal for less than $11 million per year? Ok, here's the contract, pleasure doing business with you, dumbass." and he'd be a Lion for life at a bargain for us.

Smith will be regretting this contract in 3 or 4 or 5 seasons when he's among the best LTs in the league, but making $4 or $5 million less per season than the other top LTs.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith's contract was an absolute steal for the Cowboys.

We could only dream of getting Suh for $11 million per season. How on Earth could anyone be upset if Suh somehow fell down, hit his head, and signed that deal? He's not even close to this annual average, otherwise a deal would have been done in 5 minutes. Lewand would have said "You're willing to sign a ten year deal for less than $11 million per year? Ok, here's the contract, pleasure doing business with you, dumbass." and he'd be a Lion for life at a bargain for us.

Smith will be regretting this contract in 3 or 4 or 5 seasons when he's among the best LTs in the league, but making $4 or $5 million less per season than the other top LTs.

Does anyone here believe that Suh would sign for just $12.25MM per season, or that the Lions have not already offered that much money per season or more?

Not sure that the OP is asking a legitimate question.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh's base salary alone is already more then the highest LT, and that includes Smiths new contract. I can't see him taking less than he makes now. I think Suh making 15 or so without all of the crippling pushed back bonuses is not a hard pill to swallow, It would be nice if he resigned.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you guys like the contract and would be happy if Suh signed the same one.

Me too.

8 years is a long time, and $109 million is a lot of money, but Suh is worth every penny. I have no problem with dedicating that kind of cash to Suh.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh's base salary alone is already more then the highest LT, and that includes Smiths new contract. I can't see him taking less than he makes now. I think Suh making 15 or so without all of the crippling pushed back bonuses is not a hard pill to swallow, It would be nice if he resigned.

I'd be happy if they gave him $109 million with less years. Totally worth it.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Andy Daltons new contract I am not sure I understand how contracts work anymore....Alex Smith and Sam Bradford should be dancing in the streets right about now.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Andy Daltons new contract I am not sure I understand how contracts work anymore....Alex Smith and Sam Bradford should be dancing in the streets right about now.

Smith is the no.2 paid LT now but soon he'll be the 4th or 5th, just like Suh won't always be the highest paid DT forever once he signs. Look how long Richard Sherman lasted before AZ made Patrick Peterson no.1

The point is $109 million is a ton of money no matter the length. That's QB money. Some fans say that kind of money is too much for Suh, some say it's not.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure everyone here understands how contracts work... it's not about the total $$, but much more about the annual average.

Maybe this is where the disconnect with Suh and the front office situation is coming from? Some of us seem to think he's going to take a major pay cut and can't figure out why he hasn't signed yet...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who thinks he's going to take a major pay cut TPaul?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Suh making 15 or so without all of the crippling pushed back BONUSES is not a hard pill to swallow, It would be nice if he resigned.

15 million a year is still way too much to pay a DT. That'd be roughly 40% more than the Bengals signed Atkins to (which I believe was 11 million a season -- not 100% on that number though)

If Suh was putting up numbers that blew away every other DT in the NFL right now -- I could absolutely get on board with paying him that much.

As far as what Tyron Smith signed. I would give Suh 6 year 75 million dollar contract right now, which equates roughly to the 8 year 98 million Smith just signed. Problem is -- Suh would laugh in Detroit's face if that is what they offered him, IMO. The reason for Suh's being shorter -- he is 4 years older than Smith.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who thinks he's going to take a major pay cut TPaul?

I don't think anyone believes he will take a pay cut. The problem for the Lions is -- he IS the highest paid defensive tackle already because of his first contract. So where do you go from there? Do you pay him 30-40% more than the next highest paid DT? He is a great player, but that is absurd -- Just like it was absurd to have to pay a player as the highest paid DT, just because of his draft position, when he had never played a down in the NFL.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will sign for a grand total close to what Smith signed for but it's anyone's guess for how long the contract would be for. Probably not 8 years, but it seems like fans here wouldn't care about spending 98 million if it was lengthy. At what point does 98 million become to much then?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is the per year that worries fans, not the total amount. The per year is what cuts into the salary cap. I personally think the NFL will continue to be the most successful sports league so the salary cap will continue to climb. So paying 15 a year for an elite DT is an overpay initially, but I think it will be about on par by the end of the contract due to cap increase. Can't know for sure though so it is a gamble.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point does 98 million become to much then?

98 million becomes too much if the contract is only for 6 years, as they will be making him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL and he isn't the best defensive player in the NFL.

I'm not worried about the total amount of the contract though. They can sign him to a 25 year 500 million dollar contract if they want to (which I don't believe is legal), as long as the guaranteed money isn't crazy and his cap hit is nowhere near 14-16 million a year.

Wanted to add -- Meow would have a better response to this as he understands how contracts and cap hits, etc. work. Basically I'm just saying -- I don't care what they offer him, as long as his cap hit isn't huge and the guarantee money doesn't hurt the team when they have to cut bait with him at the end of the deal.