• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boykin is garbage man...

HustleWilson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sorry but this kid just isn't smart enough to be a good QB in this league. I knew it the moment he ran out of bounds on 4th down the other game and had a big smile on his face afterward for some odd reason.

After seeing him take even another step BACKWARD today, I have absolutely no confidence that he could win any games for us if we needed him to. If Russell goes down with any kind of bad injury, we have no hope. Boykin is fast but that's about all he has going for him at the moment. Even his flashes of cool plays where people were jockin on him, those plays were surrounded by bad ones. What happened to that kid Vernon Adams?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's certainly not "garbage". Lots of talent there, just not much experience. We've been really spoiled the last 4 years.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked some of the things I saw from Boykin.

Truth is, if we lose Wilson our season is cooked no matter who our backup is.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth is, if we lose Wilson are season is cooked no matter who our backup is.
Yeah, it's one of those good problems to have...cuz it means you have an elite QB in a league where that's pretty much a pre-requisite to be a contending team year after year.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was he thinking with 14 seconds left, running down the sideline and sliding instead of stepping out of bounds to stop the clock? That seems like pop warner level basics right there. He definitely needs to work on his mental game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was he thinking with 14 seconds left, running down the sideline and sliding instead of stepping out of bounds to stop the clock? That seems like pop warner level basics right there. He definitely needs to work on his mental game.
That was dumb. If it's a mistake he never makes again, then I say it's not a big deal. You would think that would be something you wouldn't have to learn at the NFL level though...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a rookie, its not every year a rookie does what wilson did. Once in a generation really. I remember watching peyton mannings first pro pass live, long td to marvin harrison

Doesnt mean boykin cant be a good backup or even a starter some day.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That slide sure was a bone headed play. He's raw, given time, reps he'll get better. He's a back up, so not going to be worried about it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boykin reminds me (mentally) of Seneca Wallace. "YAY let's run out of bounds and lose 7 yards so I don't get an incompletion on my stat sheet!"

Maybe I shouldn't give him that much credit. "YAY let's SLIDE before going out of bounds and lose 8-9 yards so I don't get an incompletion on my stat sheet!"

Eh I guess boost your stats while you can. I'm sure San Fran will have him starting by week 9 if we cut him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That slide sure was a bone headed play. He's raw, given time, reps he'll get better. He's a back up, so not going to be worried about it.

When I first saw it I thought the same thing. On replay it appears that he lost his balance which forced him to the ground.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a rookie, its not every year a rookie does what wilson did. Once in a generation really. I remember watching peyton mannings first pro pass live, long td to marvin harrison

Doesnt mean boykin cant be a good backup or even a starter some day.

Different scenario... Indianapolis wasn't very good and they were willing to allow a rookie (their franchise QB) to go out there and play and make mistakes... Seahawks are very good now... In their prime and a serious contender to win the SB... In this case, having to play a back up like Boykin hurts our chances to be competitive if RW was to ever go down... A veteran backup at least would have some experience and would be better as a game manager... A guy like Tavaris, would at least give us a shot due to his experience...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an undrafted rookie. What was op expecting?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different scenario... Indianapolis wasn't very good and they were willing to allow a rookie (their franchise QB) to go out there and play and make mistakes... Seahawks are very good now... In their prime and a serious contender to win the SB... In this case, having to play a back up like Boykin hurts our chances to be competitive if RW was to ever go down... A veteran backup at least would have some experience and would be better as a game manager... A guy like Tavaris, would at least give us a shot due to his experience...
A shot at what? A SB? Don't think so. Playoffs....maybe, but doubtful. Fluff up the regular season record? Sure, but that's not necessarily a good thing. TJ always playing hard ball with his contract turned me off on him, signing a over priced backup means not being able to sign someone useful like McDaniels IMO.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a rookie quarterback who has made decisions that a lot of rookie quarterbacks have made in the preseason before him and many more will after him. He also had awful protection for most of the night last night. Overall, I think he played pretty well over the course of the preseason for a guy who is learning a completely new offensive system. Let's not write the kid off just yet. Not every rookie is gonna come out of the gate looking like a veteran quarterback and sometimes getting an actual veteran backup just isn't feasible.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shot at what? A SB? Don't think so. Playoffs....maybe, but doubtful. Fluff up the regular season record? Sure, but that's not necessarily a good thing. TJ always playing hard ball with his contract turned me off on him, signing a over priced backup means not being able to sign someone useful like McDaniels IMO.

What good is a McDaniels to us if Boykins ends up having to be our QB due to RW getting injured? It's the risk we run... I'm not going to be confident in Boykins as our back up if he has to play some games...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good is a McDaniels to us if Boykins ends up having to be our QB due to RW getting injured? It's the risk we run... I'm not going to be confident in Boykins as our back up if he has to play some games...

If the defense does its job and the running game does its job, it should help mitigate the holes in Boykin's game until he's been around long enough to start fixing those holes. Carroll's tenure has largely consisted of teams that play great defense and run the ball well and it's a philosophy that has served the team well when the passing offense has become predictable or just plain ineffective for one reason or another (*cough* offensive line *cough*). While they look like they want to open up the offense this year... if they end up having to go to Boykin for an extended period of time, I can see them going back to the "great defense and great running game" method of winning if necessary.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDaniels value goes hand in hand with RW being able to stay healthy. If RW gets hurt.....doesn't matter if the backup is TJak or Boykin IMO. If it's for a game or two Pete will attempt to game plan around it, run the ball, quick routes for receivers, dump off passes etc. Boykin can do that as well as TJak. Personally not impressed with TJak, panicky under pressure, locks on to one receiver,doesn't go thru progressions, not actually that slippery at avoiding sacks, about the one and only thing he had going for him is he knew the system. Others QBs can learn the system.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Manning started because he was once in a generation, like i said.

To expect boykin to come in and look like a starter is foolish. Cut the kid some slack

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not pretend like T-jack was some demi-God of backups. At some point a switch was thrown for him, and he started being able to complete simple passes. But his accuracy for YEARS was simply awful, and that was on simple swing passes to RB's in the flat. Ball at their feet.

The team is taking a calculated gamble on Boykin continuing to develop.

I mean when shvt goes wrong with the QB position, it can go REAL wrong. Just ask the Cardinals. Sometimes you just have to cross your fingers and hope.