• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Borland retires

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up with our 3 rd rounders bailing on us. Didn't glenn coffee come out of the 3 rd too?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the bolded in a way that is true. The NFL is trying to help this on a huge level never seen before. One might want to look at boxing and MMA for how they might lessen injuries ,don't you think?

But that's the same logic as before - it isn't as bad as before, so it's ok. Now it's, it isn't as bad as boxing so it's ok...

We've already had the "you could crash your car, so should you not drive?" argument.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's the same logic as before - it isn't as bad as before, so it's ok. Now it's, it isn't as bad as boxing so it's ok...

We've already had the "you could crash your car, so should you not drive?" argument.
If you want to feel it is the same. No players in the NFL are to knock another player out to win. That was my point ,what was yours?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dislike it when somebody in a different position than another disapproves of someone else's choice who is in that situation based on the speaker's motivations.

Example: "Why would Borland give up all that money he could make playing football?" There's the literal answer that health to him is more important and he thinks football is dangerous. But given that, his decision isn't a curious thing.

Obviously, money is the focus to the criticizer, but not to the player.

An actual question would be more the opposite, "Why would Borland stick to playing football when his health is more important to him and he feels football is unsafe?" That would be a good question if he did. There's no reason to wonder why someone does something that is logically consistent with their perspective.

"Why does Borland think football is unsafe?" That's a question that doesn't shift perspectives mid-sentence.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say that football is safer now. Maybe for QB's and WR's that's true, but I don't think that it's true for any other position. Players are bigger and faster than they were before, so even with rule changes and better equipment, my guess is that the impact of hits today are greater on average than they were years ago.

I respect Borland's decision. Yeah, it sucks, but it's his life and we just move on. His exit from the game happened sooner than expected, but the knock on him coming out of college was his durability, so the Niners were forewarned that Borland probably wasn't going to last long. There is no shortage of talented men who want to play football. Maybe in the future there will be, as more and more parents steer their children away from the sport, but there is no shortage yet.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up with our 3 rd rounders bailing on us. Didn't glenn coffee come out of the 3 rd too?

Glenn Coffee did come out of third round. He is the third player to do this. You could add John Frank to this list. Frank did play for four or five seasons but quit during the peak of his career to become a doctor

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to feel it is the same. No players in the NFL are to knock another player out to win. That was my point ,what was yours?

You saying football is safer because they are doing more than they did before. That's true. But that doesn't make it safe.

You saying football is safer than boxing is true. That doesn't make football safe.

You saying that boxing should be looked into how they are lessening injuries is good. Doesn't make football safe.

My point is that the person you quoted was saying that ESPN can't differentiate safe versus safer. Saying football is safer than boxing, safer than it used to be, making more of an effort to make football safer than boxing is, doesn't make football safe. Safe vs. safer is still being mixed.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You saying football is safer because they are doing more than they did before. That's true. But that doesn't make it safe.

You saying football is safer than boxing is true. That doesn't make football safe.

You saying that boxing should be looked into how they are lessening injuries is good. Doesn't make football safe.

My point is that the person you quoted was saying that ESPN can't differentiate safe versus safer. Saying football is safer than boxing, safer than it used to be, making more of an effort to make football safer than boxing is, doesn't make football safe. Safe vs. safer is still being mixed.

You can make football alot safer by turning into flag football and getting rid of hitting all together like we played in Junior High. There will always be risks in football. Nature of the game

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can make football alot safer by turning into flag football and getting rid of hitting all together like we played in Junior High. There will always be risks in football. Nature of the game

Yep, and when someone doesn't want to play because of those risks, now or in the future, they can cite the safety as their reason. They won't get the benefits of the big check, the accolades, or the winning, etc. So there's a trade-off and a risk that he gave up something that might not have given him the health affects he's worried about and he loses that money.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say that football is safer now. Maybe for QB's and WR's that's true, but I don't think that it's true for any other position. Players are bigger and faster than they were before, so even with rule changes and better equipment, my guess is that the impact of hits today are greater on average than they were years ago.

I respect Borland's decision. Yeah, it sucks, but it's his life and we just move on. His exit from the game happened sooner than expected, but the knock on him coming out of college was his durability, so the Niners were forewarned that Borland probably wasn't going to last long. There is no shortage of talented men who want to play football. Maybe in the future there will be, as more and more parents steer their children away from the sport, but there is no shortage yet.

Thats true of the risk when they drafted him. Apparently had shoulder issues. But that is not why he left. I understand why he did it. Its his life

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to give back 400K of his signing bonus. Hopefully the kid didn't spend all his money.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two Weeks Notice plus 10 days is almost 4 weeks notice. So, no.

Just kidding.

I'm not upset, especially as much as some are. But Willis played a long time and did well, so some are going to excuse it because of the length of time of him giving it his all with passion. Some won't give that to Borland. Plus, that ten days did give Baalke 10 days of free agency help. Of course, he didn't approach it as strong because he felt he had Borland, etc.

Actually it was only six days prior, not ten. But I hear you about the difference in the two situations. Still, Borland owes the 49ers nothing. They would dump him in a minute if he could not play anymore. These are not Eddie D's 49ers where he took care of Jeff Fuller and Chet Brooks for life when they had their careers ended by injury.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to give back 400K of his signing bonus. Hopefully the kid didn't spend all his money.
A very expensive decision I guess; one I'm sure he didn't make lightly.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now i dont like the kid. story came out he knew he was only going to play 1 year. what a smuck. he just wanted to see if he can do it. these teams invest in you. u wasted a spot for someone else. i hope niners make him pay back his signing bonus. i just think thats messed up. just my opinion. he cost someone a chance to play for his own ego.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you can play safer and not lower your head to avoid helmet to helmet hits ... You can do more of the rugby style tackling to keep your head from repeated blow's.... You just need to adjust your style of tackling and hitting... You can still be just as affective but play safer...

They don't show that on ESPN.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emotions get high on this kind of subject I know but this is the 9ers board. Please keep it civil.

Sorry I didn't know this was where the sensitive folks hung out. I'll make sure to sing kumbaya and give everyone a participation trophy next time.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a pisser to find out about this but I don't think the 9ers would have targeted any LB in the FA to compensate for this. IMO it is a bit of a blow but better that he did this now.

They may not have but knowing that it is a weakness they may have tried to fill one of the other holes on the team in FA that they didn't because they are planing on drafting a guy early at that position because MLB wasn't viewed as being as much of a priority as it is now.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I didn't know this was where the sensitive folks hung out. I'll make sure to sing kumbaya and give everyone a participation trophy next time.

26-21 and 20-16 maybe those scores ring a bell, don't be too sensitive about it Bungles fan.