• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Borland retires

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except their are numerous cases of football players who have taken too many hits having issues. There is a ton of research out there, which he looked into vastly before he made his decision. You are a fucking moron, but everyone on this site already knew that.
Emotions get high on this kind of subject I know but this is the 9ers board. Please keep it civil.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes as a shocker ,I had no idea that he was so concerned about concussions. He really should have never entered the NFL if he had this on his mind. I wish him well.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes as a shocker ,I had no idea that he was so concerned about concussions. He really should have never entered the NFL if he had this on his mind. I wish him well.

Exactly, and maybe he has communicated this to the team but it sounds like it was very recent that he was talking to them about this and that is what pisses me off about it he could have been more up front with the team so they might have been able to plan a little more at the start of free agency. Other wise he's made a smart choice from a health stand point and probably a dumb one financially.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. The implosion continues for our off-season.

This sucks from a fan perspective, but I respect his decision. Some things are worth more than money and fame.

Agreed. It sucks for us fans, but his health is worth more than any amount of money. I wish him the best.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy plays through high school and college, then has a breakout rookie season in the NFL and then makes a late decision to hang it up?

Something doesn't fit for me.

He has a history of injuries (a lot I had read predicted he would not have a long career anyway due to injury concerns), but not head injuries.

This is the second "big" draft pick the Niners have lost recently due to the player having a change of heart about their career choices (Glen Coffee).

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Karma is really coming back on the 49ers now. He was a great fill in for Willis and now both unexpectedly retire.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and maybe he has communicated this to the team but it sounds like it was very recent that he was talking to them about this and that is what pisses me off about it he could have been more up front with the team so they might have been able to plan a little more at the start of free agency. Other wise he's made a smart choice from a health stand point and probably a dumb one financially.

Totally agree with this. I wish him the best and it's his life. But his timing sux. It doesn't appear he gave the team any indication of doing this. He really left the team in a bad spot. Kinda like a valuable employee just walking off the job without giving two weeks notice.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this has been a bad offseason. not a good look for the NFL.

giphy.gif

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with this. I wish him the best and it's his life. But his timing sux. It doesn't appear he gave the team any indication of doing this. He really left the team in a bad spot. Kinda like a valuable employee just walking off the job without giving two weeks notice.

I'm just glad this wasn't on May 3rd after the draft or in pre-season.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Wow, guys, give it up about him and his timing. This was a monumental decision for him, life changing. Give him a break, I sure is was extremely difficult to make this decision.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, guys, give it up about him and his timing. This was a monumental decision for him, life changing. Give him a break, I sure is was extremely difficult to make this decision.

I get the frustration from a fan standpoint...but from the humanistic side of the fence...it was monumental for him. What 24 year old walks away from a 500K job (on the immediate) with the dreams, fame, and accolades attached to it without a complete search of the soul? This was not a spur of the moment decision. Beyond the health perspective he knows that he has life/employment options beyond the grid iron. It could not have been easy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As would anyone quitting their job. Quitting in the middle of a major project or with no notice is not a cool thing to do. It leaves the employer in a horrible position.

And lets stop calling this a "retirement".

Borland QUIT.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not upset about it. Just saying he put the team in a bad position

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? The season starts in6 months. Do you feel the same about Willis doing it 10 days earlier? C'mon now.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As would anyone quitting their job. Quitting in the middle of a major project or with no notice is not a cool thing to do. It leaves the employer in a horrible position.

And lets stop calling this a "retirement".

Borland QUIT.

Oh stop! Just stop!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? The season starts in6 months. Do you feel the same about Willis doing it 10 days earlier? C'mon now.

Two Weeks Notice plus 10 days is almost 4 weeks notice. So, no.

Just kidding.

I'm not upset, especially as much as some are. But Willis played a long time and did well, so some are going to excuse it because of the length of time of him giving it his all with passion. Some won't give that to Borland. Plus, that ten days did give Baalke 10 days of free agency help. Of course, he didn't approach it as strong because he felt he had Borland, etc.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a pisser to find out about this but I don't think the 9ers would have targeted any LB in the FA to compensate for this. IMO it is a bit of a blow but better that he did this now.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, when the NFL states the football has never been safer.
That in no way is stating that football is safe.

How can these idiots at ESPN not know this simple distinction.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, when the NFL states the football has never been safer.
That in no way is stating that football is safe.

How can these idiots at ESPN not know this simple distinction.
To the bolded in a way that is true. The NFL is trying to help this on a huge level never seen before. One might want to look at boxing and MMA for how they might lessen injuries ,don't you think?