• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Borland retires

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the Niners will no longer shopping Wilhoite around. And I wonder if the Niners will try to recover 3/4 of Borland's signing bonus, as is there right.

A crappy situation all around for Niners fans.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a hell of a lot more likely to kill himself when he's 45 and realizes he threw away a Hall of Fame career based on a political agenda-driven witch hunt than he is from the effects of football. There is absolutely a point where leaving football is worth it, but two diagnosed concussions (one from soccer) and maybe another undiagnosed one isn't that point. Dumb decision.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a hell of a lot more likely to kill himself when he's 45 and realizes he threw away a Hall of Fame career based on a political agenda-driven witch hunt than he is from the effects of football. There is absolutely a point where leaving football is worth it, but two diagnosed concussions (one from soccer) and maybe another undiagnosed one isn't that point. Dumb decision.
I understand he suffered two concussions playing college football. Why should he risk dementia?

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're going to see a lot more of this. There's a guy who went to my high school who played seven years in the NFL, mostly as a wedge-breaker on kickoffs. The guy is 48 and can barely remember his name, can't hold a job and is basically a shell of his former self. He has gotten nothing of note from the NFL because some of his multiple concussions occurred in college. A lot of guys are probably asking themselves if it's worth the risk.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this has been a bad offseason. not a good look for the NFL.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. The implosion continues for our off-season.

This sucks from a fan perspective, but I respect his decision. Some things are worth more than money and fame.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
niners are in trouble

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand he suffered two concussions playing college football. Why should he risk dementia?

He suffered zero concussions playing college football. By his own admission, his last diagnosed concussion was his Sophomore year of High School. He had one playing soccer in the 8th grade and thinks he had a third last offseason. He had no symptoms yet.

He talks about how he doesn't want to be Mike Webster or Dave Duerson, but the reality is that NFL players have a lower suicide rate than the general population. This "play football or kill myself" dichotomy is false. The people that are likely to kill myself are the people like us who could kill to have Chris' talent, and we have to watch the people who have the talent give it away.

I seriously cannot believe he threw away all his talent and hard work. For those who never Chris play, he was a superstar. I fully believe he was headed for Canton, and in his first year (where he had a 24%!!!! tackle rate) suggests I was right. And he threw it away based on a false belief that ten years from now everyone will realize was a panic inspired by pseudoscience. What a fucked up world.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He suffered zero concussions playing college football. By his own admission, his last diagnosed concussion was his Sophomore year of High School. He had one playing soccer in the 8th grade and thinks he had a third last offseason. He had no symptoms yet.

He talks about how he doesn't want to be Mike Webster or Dave Duerson, but the reality is that NFL players have a lower suicide rate than the general population. This "play football or kill myself" dichotomy is false. The people that are likely to kill myself are the people like us who could kill to have Chris' talent, and we have to watch the people who have the talent give it away.

I seriously cannot believe he threw away all his talent and hard work. For those who never Chris play, he was a superstar. I fully believe he was headed for Canton, and in his first year (where he had a 24%!!!! tackle rate) suggests I was right. And he threw it away based on a false belief that ten years from now everyone will realize was a panic inspired by pseudoscience. What a fucked up world.

Tell Steve Hendrickson that it's a panic inspired by pseudoscience. Then be prepared to tell him again tomorrow.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he having symptoms of some sort ? It's not like you have to bang heads on every play.. I wonder if he suffered some concussions last year... ?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell Steve Hendrickson that it's a panic inspired by pseudoscience. Then be prepared to tell him again tomorrow.

But you can play safer and not lower your head to avoid helmet to helmet hits ... You can do more of the rugby style tackling to keep your head from repeated blow's.... You just need to adjust your style of tackling and hitting... You can still be just as affective but play safer...

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! What an off-season! This is unthinkable. You wouldn't expect a 24 year old who came off a great rookie season to make this kind of decision. Maybe at 30. I wasn't too concerned about losing Willis, but losing Willis and Borland is something to be concerned about.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. The implosion continues for our off-season.

This sucks from a fan perspective, but I respect his decision. Some things are worth more than money and fame.

The only reason I don't respect it is because he waited so damn long to make it and backed the team into a corner.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confident they'll find someone that actually wants to play football and hopefully for more than one year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! What an off-season! This is unthinkable. You wouldn't expect a 24 year old who came off a great rookie season to make this kind of decision. Maybe at 30. I wasn't too concerned about losing Willis, but losing Willis and Borland is something to be concerned about.
i agree and throw in a weak draft class at MLB

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree and throw in a weak draft class at MLB

Yep, the draft class is pretty weak at the ILB position. I don't think any of the ILB prospects are worth taking in the 1st round. Before the Cards signed Weatherspoon, I was worried they would have to reach for one.