• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Borland retires

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell Steve Hendrickson that it's a panic inspired by pseudoscience. Then be prepared to tell him again tomorrow.

I've heard some random person died in a plane crash. I guess I should never get on a plane. And there are car crashes too. I guess I should walk everywhere. Oh, but there are still cars everywhere hitting people. I guess I should just stay in my apartment.

Isn't life by anecdote fun!

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard some random person died in a plane crash. I guess I should never get on a plane. And there are car crashes too. I guess I should walk everywhere. Oh, but there are still cars everywhere hitting people. I guess I should just stay in my apartment.

Except their are numerous cases of football players who have taken too many hits having issues. There is a ton of research out there, which he looked into vastly before he made his decision. You are a fucking moron, but everyone on this site already knew that.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess if your anecdote was your attempt to assert that plane and/or car crashes were actually just panics caused by pseudoscience, you might have a point. Otherwise, you missed it in your hurried attempt to be snarky and dismissive.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He suffered zero concussions playing college football. By his own admission, his last diagnosed concussion was his Sophomore year of High School. He had one playing soccer in the 8th grade and thinks he had a third last offseason. He had no symptoms yet.

He talks about how he doesn't want to be Mike Webster or Dave Duerson, but the reality is that NFL players have a lower suicide rate than the general population. This "play football or kill myself" dichotomy is false. The people that are likely to kill myself are the people like us who could kill to have Chris' talent, and we have to watch the people who have the talent give it away.

I seriously cannot believe he threw away all his talent and hard work. For those who never Chris play, he was a superstar. I fully believe he was headed for Canton, and in his first year (where he had a 24%!!!! tackle rate) suggests I was right. And he threw it away based on a false belief that ten years from now everyone will realize was a panic inspired by pseudoscience. What a fucked up world.

What a fucked up world where someone else who has no idea about how he feels, no idea about his life and no idea about his decision gets to sit back and say it was a bad decision for him to walk away from a sport that could really hurt his quality of life down the road. A fucked up world indeed.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess if your anecdote was your attempt to assert that plane and/or car crashes were actually just panics caused by pseudoscience, you might have a point. Otherwise, you missed it in your hurried attempt to be snarky and dismissive.

He doesn't make points. He is just a moron.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Some people are morons. I guess everyone should be a moron.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, Lawrence Timmons, DJ Williams, Casey Matthews, Joe Mays are just a few names still at MLB who are still FA. I think we should make a play on one of these big name vets. Spikes is rumored to be visiting the Hawks maybe we could go after him also and steal him from them.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except their are numerous cases of football players who have taken too many hits having issues. There is a ton of research out there, which he looked into vastly before he made his decision. You are a fucking moron, but everyone on this site already knew that.

Yes, and the research shows:

1. Football players live longer lives than the general population.

2. Football players commit suicide at a lower rate than the general population.

3. Football players have a lower rate of accidental death than the general population.

4. There is no proof that any impact increased concussions and CTE have isn't outweighed by superior physical health from working out professionally. None at all.

If anyone wants to cite to a study which shows that, in totality, football players live unhealthy lives, please do so. To date, most of the studies which try to be encompassing rather than focusing on a myopic view of health reach the opposite conclusion.

No, the idea that cars are unsafe because they crash or planes are unsafe because they crash is based on pseudoscience. It does not consider the opportunity cost. The analogy holds perfectly well. Yes, football causes some diseases to be more prevalent, but forgoing football comes with its own opportunity costs (worse physical health, less money, etc.).

What a fucked up world where someone else who has no idea about how he feels, no idea about his life and no idea about his decision gets to sit back and say it was a bad decision for him to walk away from a sport that could really hurt his quality of life down the road. A fucked up world indeed.

I said he was being stupid by citing to anecdotes rather than facts, which is significantly more legitimate than 98% of the reasons you call me stupid.

It's his choice and he lives by it. It may even work out for him. That doesn't mean that it is unquestionably correct, especially when it seems to be based on a false "health or football" dichotomy.

But I really do wish Chris the best. I'm not a friend of his, but I have met him on several occasions and had conversations with him. He used to go to Chipotle at the same time I did a lot. I just hope he realizes that while football could hurt his individual quality of life, for most ex-players, it has a positive impact. That story doesn't get told much, and Chris hasn't given a real good reason why it wouldn't be true for him. I just hope that ten years from now, he doesn't come to a realization that his fears were scientifically unsupported and the product of anti-football fervor instead of reality.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The evidence isn't there one way or the other, to say X amount of head trauma causes Y. But what we do know is that frequent repeated trauma while the brain is injured, like having another concussion shortly after having the first concussion, is more damaging than having a single concussion a year for 10 years. All it takes is a single untreated concussion followed by some minor head trauma before the brain heals, for there to possibly be long lasting effects.

With Borland admitting to likely being concussed & undiagnosed during training camp, after he did some research, he realized the gamble he had taken with his health. And a gamble he might be willing to take again if put in a similar spot in the future. Rather than put himself in that situation, he decided to retire. Which is the smart thing to do for him with his situation.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's correct because it is his life, not yours. So yes his decision is correct for him. There is plenty of proof that I'm sure you overlook because it doesn't fit your little narrative, but whatever. You have been a moron for years and I don't expect that to change.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks... I'm sure 49ers fans expected he'd play for longer than a year.

I won't begrudge anyone who retires for the sake of their health, lord knows the NFL isn't looking after the health of their players, but that's a rough blow to the roster.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, and the research shows:

1. Football players live longer lives than the general population.

2. Football players commit suicide at a lower rate than the general population.

3. Football players have a lower rate of accidental death than the general population.

All of which, I'd imagine, correlate strongly with income bracket. Not to mention that you're already dealing with a population that has proven physically unique and resistant to injuries, illness, etc. So far as suicides, the population also almost certainly self-selects against any kind of serious mental illness.

Though death isn't the big issue, IMO. It's the reduced quality of life. A lot of these guys can barely walk. And they suffer neurodegenerative diseases at much higher rates than the general population.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round Hurricane Inside Backer!!

Denzel Perryman 5'11" 236 LBS 4.78 40 yard dash

STRENGTHS

Burly, stout, old-school linebacker build. Wants to hit and brings his pads with him when he delivers a blow. Delivers a jarring punch into oncoming offensive linemen on second level. Defends his area of turf and sees past blockers, keeping his eye trained on the play. Is able to disengage and shed blockers. Plays low and with leverage. Once he diagnoses, can trigger into gaps and disrupt. Expected to be productive special-teams player at the next level.

WEAKNESSES

Not a twitchy athlete. Takes time to gear up after changing directions and can struggle to tackle jitterbug runners in space. Heavy-legged mover in space and struggles to make plays outside of his assigned area. Lacks coverage traits and is a liability in man coverage. Short levers won't allow him to leverage blockers as a pass rusher. Slow to get off his spot and burst laterally, which causes him to miss some tackle opportunities.

SOURCES TELL US

"He's physical and plays angry at the point of attack. He's the type of guy you like having on your team because he brings toughness to practice. He's going to lay the wood to ball carriers when he gets a chance but college teams were already finding ways to go after him in the passing game." -- AFC East regional scout

"I have a little higher grade on Perryman than I probably should, but we like thumpers and badasses inside and he's both." -- AFC director of scouting

NFL COMPARISON

D'Qwell Jackson

BOTTOM LINE

Early down linebacker who can make plays against the run but will struggle if isolated in coverage. Perryman is a lunch-pail worker who enjoys the physical part of the game. Can be a highly productive NFL player but ceiling looks to be limited.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benardrick McKinney 6'4" 246 LBS 4.66 40 yard dash

STRENGTHS

Tall, proportionally built inside linebacker with ability to play outside. Has thick, powerful legs. Good straight-line speed to chase. True take-on linebacker who can meet linemen head-on or beat them to the spot and leverage his gap with above average play strength. Scrapes and stalks while using length and powerful hands to keep himself free and clear of blockers. Steps into hole and fires into running back, finishing with wrap-up tackle. Able to run downfield in seam with tight ends. Aware of cutback lanes and rarely runs himself out of the play. Shows very good attention to assignment. Seems to have a nose for the play and is frequently in the mix. Has value on special teams and as a blitzer. Has adequate football intelligence.

WEAKNESSES

Plays high and is lacking suddenness. High center of gravity causes clunky change of direction in space. Foot quickness in tight quarters is below average and limiting. Instincts against run are there, but tends to fight his feet and marginal agility. Has trouble clearing the trash near his feet and labors against cut blocks, losing lateral momentum. Potential liability against the pass. Looks stiff when asked to cover in space and gives away too much separation to routes in his area in zone coverage.

NFL COMPARISON
Brian Cushing

BOTTOM LINE

Productive, steady performer in the middle with above-average size and length for the position but below-average agility. McKinney plays within the scheme and finds himself near the play frequently. He plays with strength and has an ability to take on offensive linemen and get downhill to finish his tackles. McKinney looks like an above-average NFL inside linebacker who could become part of a really good defense. He lacks star-making talent, though.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Borland tackles guys by the ankles so I don't know what he's worried about.

49ers should recoup 3/4 of his signing bonus IMHO

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I got to watch a couple of UMFLA games and Perryman dominated the line of scrimmage to 11 yards deep!! Ball carriers were getting pummeled and started to drop passes!