• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Borland retires

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now i dont like the kid. story came out he knew he was only going to play 1 year. what a smuck. he just wanted to see if he can do it. these teams invest in you. u wasted a spot for someone else. i hope niners make him pay back his signing bonus. i just think thats messed up. just my opinion. he cost someone a chance to play for his own ego.

I can't say I don't like him Purguy but he really handled it poorly. As soon as the season was over he should have told the team that it was something he was thinking about. The free agent MLB aren't great and the draft aren't either but knowing this before the start of free agency would have altered how the team tackled the off season.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26-21 and 20-16 maybe those scores ring a bell, don't be too sensitive about it Bungles fan.

Not sensitive at all. We say worse things to each other on the Bengals board daily. I should have known in San Fran everyone would be all sensitive. Gotta be the most sensitive city in America.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sensitive at all. We say worse things to each other on the Bengals board daily. I should have known in San Fran everyone would be all sensitive. Gotta be the most sensitive city in America.

Darken just asked to keep it civil. There is no need to call anyone an Fing Moron. You can disagree with someone and still be respectful

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I didn't know this was where the sensitive folks hung out. I'll make sure to sing kumbaya and give everyone a participation trophy next time.
Had nothing to do with being sensitive.Nobody on this board wants to scroll page after page of name calling. That is what the General Board is for.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had nothing to do with being sensitive.Nobody on this board wants to scroll page after page of name calling. That is what the General Board is for.

Then someone shouldn't be a fucking moron. But I'll go back to the General Board where the non pussies hang out.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This thread is beating a dead horse...lock it up, lets move along.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't live in San Fran so I'm not that sensitive. My only issue with what Borland did was hide the fact that he's been thinking about this since training camp from the team. If he was just looking to play one season he should have told them after the season so they could have planned accordingly. Instead he didn't say a word until a week into free agency. That wasn't a classy thing to do.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't live in San Fran so I'm not that sensitive. My only issue with what Borland did was hide the fact that he's been thinking about this since training camp from the team. If he was just looking to play one season he should have told them after the season so they could have planned accordingly. Instead he didn't say a word until a week into free agency. That wasn't a classy thing to do.

I read that article yesterday. Sure puts things in a different light. Was dishonest with the team.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now i dont like the kid. story came out he knew he was only going to play 1 year. what a smuck. he just wanted to see if he can do it. these teams invest in you. u wasted a spot for someone else. i hope niners make him pay back his signing bonus. i just think thats messed up. just my opinion. he cost someone a chance to play for his own ego.

How is that any different from a team signing a player to a 4-year contract knowing they only want to see what he can do for one year and knowing that they can cut him at any time and not have to pay him? Once you realize that to the players and ownership that this is a business and not a game you'll get over this whining nonsense about players putting themselves above the team.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article yesterday. Sure puts things in a different light. Was dishonest with the team.

Yes he was and he should have told them when the season was over that is the only issue I have with what he did and I feel he should give back 3/4 of the signing bonus.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he was and he should have told them when the season was over that is the only issue I have with what he did and I feel he should give back 3/4 of the signing bonus.

According to that article, before being drafted he was contemplating only playing for a year. If the 49ers new then he wasn't committed long-term to playing football, they probably would not have drafted him in the third round.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they likely wouldn't have drafted him and certainly not in the 3rd round.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that any different from a team signing a player to a 4-year contract knowing they only want to see what he can do for one year and knowing that they can cut him at any time and not have to pay him? Once you realize that to the players and ownership that this is a business and not a game you'll get over this whining nonsense about players putting themselves above the team.

I don't think most posters have an issue with him going with health over money and fame. The issue is he could have told the team after the season he was planning on retiring and instead hid it from them. Now I'm sure you'll counter with the same the owners can cut a guy when ever they want but if you are a team that continually cuts players after one year eventually free agents won't want to sign with you and you'll have to massively over pay to get them to sign so teams do pay a price for that kind of behavior.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize quantity makes it worse, so 1 year is less risky of that quantity than 2 years, 3 years, etc.

But if he wanted to see if he could do it and is concerned about his health, from college, he just put himself at risk of any quality hit that could give him that medical damage. I do think healthwise it's best to leave now if that's his concern and I get that maybe his finality of his decision might have come after the season and the aforementioned quantity vs. quality of hits, but to play just to see if you could do it when you believe in the risks, is not consistent with safety concerns.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, they're both bad. I still never get it when one says other's do it so it's ok.

Even then, I don't think you are comparing it correctly. If one player plays that one year well and is cut because the team just wanted to see if he couldn't do it, that would be unfair. (Kind of what Borland did.) But if the team signs him to four years, wanting to see if he could do, but he couldn't, cutting him isn't unfair. Not what Borland did.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This probably isn't a fair comparison but you don't tell a girlfriend you're only going to see her for 1 year. You break up her when the time comes. You certainly don't tell her you're thinking of breaking up with her.
If Borland had been honest he would have earned less. It's not as though we're all completely honest when it comes to paying our taxes. (Busted!)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This probably isn't a fair comparison but you don't tell a girlfriend you're only going to see her for 1 year. You break up her when the time comes. You certainly don't tell her you're thinking of breaking up with her.
If Borland had been honest he would have earned less. It's not as though we're all completely honest when it comes to paying our taxes. (Busted!)

I bet most servers report amounts in tip that if the true number of tables served were found, customers would be giving less than 10% - either by under-reporting on purpose or bad accounting mistakes.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I don't like him Purguy but he really handled it poorly. As soon as the season was over he should have told the team that it was something he was thinking about. The free agent MLB aren't great and the draft aren't either but knowing this before the start of free agency would have altered how the team tackled the off season.
Yes it should of been done after the season. He put the 49ers in a tough spot. If he knew he was only going to play 1 year should of done it right after the season.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I've been saying is that after his rookie season when the 49ers season ended he should have told the team that he was done instead of waiting until free agency and the new league year had begun.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I've been saying is that after his rookie season when the 49ers season ended he should have told the team that he was done instead of waiting until free agency and the new league year had begun.

From the way I read it, he did not KNOW he was going to retire after 1 year. He was thinking about it but had not come to a clear decision. I bet that once he make a firm decision he told the team quickly. He could have done this in a lot worse ways, faked injuries to keep collecting money. Ya know.

This is the guy's brain health and had to be an extremely difficult decision. To be a pro athlete, performing like he did last year, and retire at 24 years old. Wow. My hat is off to him for making a wise decision for himself. This stuff about his timing etc is just blather and bfd.