• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bob stoops: SEC is not overwhelming

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been saying this all year

"What about Texas A&M and Missouri?" Stoops said. "They've been in the Big 12 for 100 years. … They don't seem to be overwhelmed in that league. And they haven't been ruling the Big 12 the entire time that they were here, right?"
This argument is just stupid:

1. Baylor, who was far worse historically than A&M and Missouri kicked ass and won the BigXII this year. So much for arguing that teams can't be better in a few short years.

2. For the record, it isn't like A&M and Missouri have dominated the SEC. Glad to have both teams in the league. Missouri got to the SECCG this year and won their pseudo-BCS bowl. Awesome. They also got to the BigXII CCG twice in their last 4 years in that conference. They lost 7 SEC CGs last year (I get the injury situation they had). TAMU lost 2 CGs last year, 4 this year, all with the one of the best, most exciting QBs in a long time. So, we have Missouri with a division championship, basically the same thing they did recently in the Big XII North, a terrible year last year, and A&M in the middle of the pack with a signature win against Bama last year. Again, glad to have them, but this idea they are dominating in the SEC is just dumb.
3. Interestingly, in the past 2 years, TAMU and Missouri have both taken down top teams from the BigXII in the Cotton Bowl. They certainly haven't been overwhelmed by the Big XII's best the last 2 years.

4. BigXII is 3-3 in bowls this year, the SEC 6-2 with 2 to go, including the NC game.

Credit goes to OU for their win last night. It was an enjoyable game (less so than the two games tonight). But, me thinks people are reading a tad too much into what one game means in a conference comparison.

The thing I find the most interesting is how much this galls Big Game Bob. You just have your programs biggest win in a decade, and you have to talk about the SEC. Talk about living rent free in someone's mind!

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Stoops even talking historically anyway? The SEC has been dominating with NC's and damn good winning bowl records for the past decade or so! The BCS helped line up match ups that we weren't usually seeing and now we are and the SEC is winning the majority of those. I find it comical that when an SEC team loses, like an Alabama, all of a sudden the SEC is dead. :L

It's like the Sugar Bowl. Great win by OU and well deserved but every game has it's own identity and for people to think it would play out that way every time is crazy! OU played awesome and Alabama did not play great. I think most people can agree with that so what's to say Alabama wouldn't beat OU the next 5 times...or lose, before someone gets panties in a wad? The other thing that I don't understand is based on this one game, with it's own elements, people will say damn I wonder what so and so would do to Bama since OU did that! Ridiculous!!! A body of work is a hell a lot more accurate than a game or two! :nod:

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This argument is just stupid:

1. Baylor, who was far worse historically than A&M and Missouri kicked ass and won the BigXII this year. So much for arguing that teams can't be better in a few short years.

2. For the record, it isn't like A&M and Missouri have dominated the SEC. Glad to have both teams in the league. Missouri got to the SECCG this year and won their pseudo-BCS bowl. Awesome. They also got to the BigXII CCG twice in their last 4 years in that conference. They lost 7 SEC CGs last year (I get the injury situation they had). TAMU lost 2 CGs last year, 4 this year, all with the one of the best, most exciting QBs in a long time. So, we have Missouri with a division championship, basically the same thing they did recently in the Big XII North, a terrible year last year, and A&M in the middle of the pack with a signature win against Bama last year. Again, glad to have them, but this idea they are dominating in the SEC is just dumb.
3. Interestingly, in the past 2 years, TAMU and Missouri have both taken down top teams from the BigXII in the Cotton Bowl. They certainly haven't been overwhelmed by the Big XII's best the last 2 years.

4. BigXII is 3-3 in bowls this year, the SEC 6-2 with 2 to go, including the NC game.

Credit goes to OU for their win last night. It was an enjoyable game (less so than the two games tonight). But, me thinks people are reading a tad too much into what one game means in a conference comparison.

The thing I find the most interesting is how much this galls Big Game Bob. You just have your programs biggest win in a decade, and you have to talk about the SEC. Talk about living rent free in someone's mind!

Because he keeps getting asked the question, he isn't going to beat around the bush with his answers, I like that.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All kidding aside, A&M and Mizzou are having an easier time winning in the SEC than in the Big 12

A&M is 0-2 vs LSU in the SEC since joining. Mizzou is doing decent in the East and then loses to the west in the SECCG so meh. One thing is for sure since joining the SEC... A&M and Missouri have both crapped on the state of Oklahoma.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why is Stoops even talking historically anyway? The SEC has been dominating with NC's and damn good winning bowl records for the past decade or so! The BCS helped line up match ups that we weren't usually seeing and now we are and the SEC is winning the majority of those. I find it comical that when an SEC team loses, like an Alabama, all of a sudden the SEC is dead. :L

It's like the Sugar Bowl. Great win by OU and well deserved but every game has it's own identity and for people to think it would play out that way every time is crazy! OU played awesome and Alabama did not play great. I think most people can agree with that so what's to say Alabama wouldn't beat OU the next 5 times...or lose, before someone gets panties in a wad? The other thing that I don't understand is based on this one game, with it's own elements, people will say damn I wonder what so and so would do to Bama since OU did that! Ridiculous!!! A body of work is a hell a lot more accurate than a game or two! :nod:

Come on, if Bama had won that's all we would hear about for some time, how great the SEC is, not just Bama. I know I'm right, don't deny it. Funny how you guys want the SEC piled into one game when you win, but when you lose the team is on their own.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he keeps getting asked the question, he isn't going to beat around the bush with his answers, I like that.
I can't really disagree with you when he is responding to questions. And, it sounds good to the loyal base. I guess it's a what else is he supposed to say scenario. But, his logic is flawed.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't really disagree with you when he is responding to questions. And, it sounds good to the loyal base. I guess it's a what else is he supposed to say scenario. But, his logic is flawed.

Not really, he just says what everyone else knows. The BCS was tweaked to benefit the SEC several years ago, and you can see the proof. And it's all based on pre-season rankings.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, if Bama had won that's all we would hear about for some time, how great the SEC is, not just Bama. I know I'm right, don't deny it. Funny how you guys want the SEC piled into one game when you win, but when you lose the team is on their own.

I can't speak for everyone but win or lose this one game is not going to change something the SEC has built for a while. Plus, I am only thinking about next year and this would have been a good way to go into 2014. You have to realize, and yes call it spoiled, I'm thinking one thing and one thing only. Actually two. SEC title then National title. Alabama wasn't winning either in the Sugar Bowl. I hate the loss but have moved on. Saban has signed the #1 class the past 2 years and is about to recruit possibly his best. They also only lose 4 starters. This SEC SEC SEC thing is more mental for all the non-SEC people now. Great! SEC is tops and pretty sure 85 percent or more of college football would say it. Good luck overcoming it!

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the non-SEC fans seem to think SEC fans don't think a conference team will ever lose and that's ridiculous. They're 18 to 21 yo kids! Yes any good team can beat another good team on any given day but doesn't mean they would win the majority of them. A large sample size is more accurate than a small one.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC conference argument has never been about a single team. In fact, the argument is not based only on Bama's NCs, but on the fact that 5 different teams won BCS NCs, 4 different teams in the past 7 years in row. That and the best bowl record, and best EOY rankings, double the players drafted than the next conference last year, etc. Certainly Bama was the flag carrier the past 4 years, no one denies that. but before that it was LSU an UF. And Bama was only one of the 5 SEC teams in the top 10 last year, etc.

It's all cyclical ... at some point, for some reason, it'll turn. I've seen it too many times over the 45+ years I've followed college football.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, he just says what everyone else knows. The BCS was tweaked to benefit the SEC several years ago, and you can see the proof. And it's all based on pre-season rankings.
Do tell ... what tweaks were done to help the SEC. Please spell it out in detail including citations, otherwise you are full of shit.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Mizzou beat Oklahoma St. Clearly the Big 12 was overrated this year blah blah blah blah

The funny part is this was started by a USC fan and their team got rated preseason #1 in 2012. You guys just cry a lot

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do tell ... what tweaks were done to help the SEC. Please spell it out in detail including citations, otherwise you are full of shit.

1--Rank half the conference in the top 20 to start the season
2--Play pretty much nobody in OOC games
2A-Schedule a cupcake or two OOC games near the end of the season (obviously to protect rankings)
3--Conference play appears to be ranked teams playing each other almost every week.

Unless the wheels fall completely off, an SEC team is almost assured a top two finish

If the SEC was as hard as most want us to believe, nobody would get out without at least two losses. But since most of the SEC teams that have made the NCG have somehow avoided some of the toughest teams in the conference during the run seems suspect.

Yes, I know they have won the last 7, but at least four of those games could have gone either way with just a couple more plays made. The SEC has just been fortunate to come out on top in some of those.
I guess I'm saying the BCS wasn't tweaked so much to help the SEC, it's just that the powers that be have figured out how to work the system.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1--Rank half the conference in the top 20 to start the season
2--Play pretty much nobody in OOC games
2A-Schedule a cupcake or two OOC games near the end of the season (obviously to protect rankings)
3--Conference play appears to be ranked teams playing each other almost every week.

Unless the wheels fall completely off, an SEC team is almost assured a top two finish

If the SEC was as hard as most want us to believe, nobody would get out without at least two losses. But since most of the SEC teams that have made the NCG have somehow avoided some of the toughest teams in the conference during the run seems suspect.

Yes, I know they have won the last 7, but at least four of those games could have gone either way with just a couple more plays made. The SEC has just been fortunate to come out on top in some of those.
I guess I'm saying the BCS wasn't tweaked so much to help the SEC, it's just that the powers that be have figured out how to work the system.

You were responding to my challenge of this post of yours: "The BCS was tweaked to benefit the SEC several years ago, and you can see the proof."

Nothing that you just wrote in any way supports that the BCS was tweaked to benefit the SEC. Nothing. Come back when you have the BCS tweaks designed to benefit the SEC.

:L:L:L:L

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You were responding to my challenge of this post of yours: "The BCS was tweaked to benefit the SEC several years ago, and you can see the proof."

Nothing that you just wrote in any way supports that the BCS was tweaked to benefit the SEC. Nothing. Come back when you have the BCS tweaks designed to benefit the SEC.

If you read the last sentence or two of my statement, you will see that I actually changed that to the fact the powers that be have figured out how to work the system. That and the constant hyping of the SEC persuades voters not to drop them very far after a loss.
You could do the same with the Pac 12 or Big 10, start the season with half of the conference in the top 20, and since they have divisions and don't play everyone in their conference, one of the teams would all but be guaranteed a top two spot in the final polls.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team is 11-2 and can probably beat all but three or four teams on a neutral field, maybe all but FSU if the game is in Columbia.

Who would like to argue that?

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just fucking stupid and revisionist history. Teams were just injured in the SEC and the defenses weren't that good this year. This doesn't take away all of the accomplishments the SEC has had from previous years.

The defenses were't that good this year because the SEC discovered the forward pass was a viable option to 3 & out:laugh3:

TROJAN-MAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Positioning SEC opponents by ESPIN for the NCG

TROJAN-MAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read the last sentence or two of my statement, you will see that I actually changed that to the fact the powers that be have figured out how to work the system. That and the constant hyping of the SEC persuades voters not to drop them very far after a loss.
You could do the same with the Pac 12 or Big 10, start the season with half of the conference in the top 20, and since they have divisions and don't play everyone in their conference, one of the teams would all but be guaranteed a top two spot in the final polls.[/QUOTE

You mean like that 1/2 hour cry fest ESPIN gave Saban in 2011 on prime time, yet didn't afford the same opportunity to any other coach

GTFO