• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bob stoops: SEC is not overwhelming

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being an USCe fan explains a lot.

I've now posted a detailed post about the SEC and why I think it gets the nod as the best conference. No one countered it, just attacked the messenger.

People starting attacking UGa, and I posted a detailed overview of the Richt era. You don't counter that post and what it contained, but once again name call.

I think my work here is done.

:bored:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawdawg I dont care what you've done in conference. This is a discussion about perception outside it and Georgia has done nothing to build that. What's your biggest win during the streak? Hawaii in the sugar? :clap:

As I provided the hilarity of the schools that beat you during the SEC national title streak. Georgia has not added to that, in fact they've worked against it losing to 2 midmajors, okie lite, Michigan lite, georgia lite, coLOLrado, Clemson and brasky. Sure you can brag about how strong the SEC has been during that streak but Georiga has egg all over their face with those losses in OOC.

Then we can go back before the streak and you have losses to WVU, Boston college and another to Georgia lite.

Georiga has done zero to contribute to the percived strength of the conference in OOC.

Name your biggest win since 2000 in OOC.

Last edited by a moderator:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this comment was pretty spot on about the defenses of the SEC. its not that the SEC defenses are hands down worse than they have been. Its the qb play. for years past in sec its been stack 8 or 9 guys and play single coverage on receivers and 90 percent of qbs in the sec cant make you pay for it. that or they don't have big play receivers to beat you deep. alabamas defense wasn't really that bad the other night vs Oklahoma. it would work on most offenses in sec in past years.
I think the Ds are way down. I don't recall the exact number, but the SEC had something like 42 D players taken from the top 7 SEC teams. The Dawgs lost something like 9 of 11 starters, all of whom play on Sunday.

I also think that college football is in a phase where the O is evolving faster than the D. The days of the 14-7 game are over, no matter how good your D is.

Couple all that with several really good 4-year QBs and you get what you got this year.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawdawg I dont care what you've done in conference. This is a discussion about perception outside it and Georgia has done nothing to build that. What's your biggest win during the streak? Hawaii in the sugar? :clap:

As I provided the hilarity of the schools that beat you during the SEC national title streak. Georgia has not added to that, in fact they've worked against it losing to 2 midmajors, okie lite, Michigan lite, georgia lite, coLOLrado, Clemson and brasky. Sure you can brag about how strong the SEC has been during that streak but Georiga has egg all over their face with those losses in OOC.
It's good you don't get to decide what the discussions are all about because you can't keep your mind straight to save your life. You keep bringing up UGa when it doesn't really matter ... the discussion we were having was the strength of the SEC. I posted why I thought they deserved the reputation, and all you can do is attack my school and team.

As I pointed out, you listed a team that beat us once in 13 games. Seriously ... you point out one win, when we beat them 12 other times. Why should I take you seriously. You listed teams we beat during the same time period. You left out good OOC wins - OkSU, ASU, and many bowl games. You are being so disingenuous it isn't worth discussing it with you.

As for the fact that my post was about IC wins, of course they matter. You guys keep saying UGa is down for 20 years and crap like that, I show you that isn't so, and once again you just change the subject. Unreal. You are moving target I can't keep up with.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this comment was pretty spot on about the defenses of the SEC. its not that the SEC defenses are hands down worse than they have been. Its the qb play. for years past in sec its been stack 8 or 9 guys and play single coverage on receivers and 90 percent of qbs in the sec cant make you pay for it. that or they don't have big play receivers to beat you deep. alabamas defense wasn't really that bad the other night vs Oklahoma. it would work on most offenses in sec in past years.

and with the success of Missouri and a&m it has non sec fans saying well what if this team or this team was in sec would they also win most of their games? im not going to say its anyone on sports SportsHoopla but during this 7 championship run seen plenty of sec fans that boast around saying oh if you put Vanderbilt or miss st or ole miss...in any other bcs conference they would win it...not saying every fan is that delusional but it exists.

now I see a lot of excuses to the success of a&m and Missouri....what just yesterday someone said winning sec east doesn't count

To think a QB having his night and playing great is the norm and not the exception is the first place to start. Why can't we just leave it at that? Knight threw perfect passes and OU executed the hell out of their game plan. To then come in and say Alabama might could get away with that against other SEC teams in the past but not now or with OU is ridiculous! They didn't THAT night. THAT single night! Knight is going to be a great QB but Alabama has seen this before.

IN 2010 Stephen Garcia(South Carolina) looked like Joe Montana against the Tide. He threw balls in 6 inch windows and barely over finger tips and completing them. One play in particular they blitzed, about killing him right before he got the pass off, which he completed between 2 Alabama defenders hands (6 inches) and even the receiver was ripped when he caught it. First down!!! South Carolina won that game and Stephen Garcia never before or since sniffed looking like that. Any South Carolina fan will confirm this! It happens! Sometimes it is your night and sometimes it isn't when two quality teams get together.

I see everyone breaking down Alabama's defense but no one mentioning the offense turned it over 5 times leading to 28 points. Is that the defenses fault? OU scored 45 total points (45-28=17) which is much more respectable by Alabama's defense. However, there defense is not as good as years past but at least be fair in evaluating everything.

Also, Auburn sure isn't throwing it and doing pretty good?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good you don't get to decide what the discussions are all about because you can't keep your mind straight to save your life. You keep bringing up UGa when it doesn't really matter ... the discussion we were having was the strength of the SEC. I posted why I thought they deserved the reputation, and all you can do is attack my school and team.

As I pointed out, you listed a team that beat us once in 13 games. Seriously ... you point out one win, when we beat them 12 other times. Why should I take you seriously. You listed teams we beat during the same time period. You left out good OOC wins - OkSU, ASU, and many bowl games. You are being so disingenuous it isn't worth discussing it with you.

As for the fact that my post was about IC wins, of course they matter. You guys keep saying UGa is down for 20 years and crap like that, I show you that isn't so, and once again you just change the subject. Unreal. You are moving target I can't keep up with.

I have not changed the subject.

I made a statement that a Georiga fan is the last person that should be bragging about conference strength based off how sad their OOC record has been the last 7 years.

You hender that perceived strength. Go right on sounding crazy. That's why it's comedy.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia's perception discussion

I have to disagree and the majority in here of non-SEC fans might make it appear that the perception is Georgia hasn't helped with the conference perception but NO way, outisde this board and nationally, is that the norm. I will guarantee you people consider Georgia one of the teams that help make or build the SEC's perception and I don't need to go into all the reasons why. If you know anything about SEC football it speaks for itself!

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody other than Bama, LSU, UF or Aub in the SEC...:stfu: Remind me of Remora.....you know; the little parasite fish that live vicariously through the shark? If BU or UT have a great season, good for them. OU will beat them the following season most likely. My guess is there was not one mentally stable Cowboy fan that was cheering on the Eagles last night. That shit just ain't right.

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To think a QB having his night and playing great is the norm and not the exception is the first place to start. Why can't we just leave it at that? Knight threw perfect passes and OU executed the hell out of their game plan. To then come in and say Alabama might could get away with that against other SEC teams in the past but not now or with OU is ridiculous! They didn't THAT night. THAT single night! Knight is going to be a great QB but Alabama has seen this before.

IN 2010 Stephen Garcia(South Carolina) looked like Joe Montana against the Tide. He threw balls in 6 inch windows and barely over finger tips and completing them. One play in particular they blitzed, about killing him right before he got the pass off, which he completed between 2 Alabama defenders hands (6 inches) and even the receiver was ripped when he caught it. First down!!! South Carolina won that game and Stephen Garcia never before or since sniffed looking like that. Any South Carolina fan will confirm this! It happens! Sometimes it is your night and sometimes it isn't when two quality teams get together.

I see everyone breaking down Alabama's defense but no one mentioning the offense turned it over 5 times leading to 28 points. Is that the defenses fault? OU scored 45 total points (45-28=17) which is much more respectable by Alabama's defense. However, there defense is not as good as years past but at least be fair in evaluating everything.

Also, Auburn sure isn't throwing it and doing pretty good?

I'm trolling Georgia more than anything in this thread, and have nothing but respect for Bama. But Oklahoma did more than just execute offensively in that game. Yeah, their defense had trouble tackling and gave up some big plays :L. , but OU's defense forced at least 4 of those turnovers (fumble in the end zone was just unlucky for bama) and recorded 7 sacks. Their offense also capitalized on those turnovers by scoring TD's. Had bama's defense held them to FG's they would have won. Bama is a great team but OU outplayed them and capitalized on their mistakes.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody other than Bama, LSU, UF or Aub in the SEC...:stfu: Remind me of Remora.....you know; the little parasite fish that live vicariously through the shark? If BU or UT have a great season, good for them. OU will beat them the following season most likely. My guess is there was not one mentally stable Cowboy fan that was cheering on the Eagles last night. That shit just ain't right.

Does the division strength perception affect if Philadelphia gets in a bowl game or national championship game?
Didn't think so. Y'all are arguing about the very perception built by SEC teams doing well in bowls and SEC fans being smart enough to know this and pull for them when it indirectly will benefit their team! SEC SEC SEC

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trolling Georgia more than anything in this thread, and have nothing but respect for Bama. But Oklahoma did more than just execute offensively in that game. Yeah, their defense had trouble tackling and gave up some big plays :L. , but OU's defense forced at least 4 of those turnovers (fumble in the end zone was just unlucky for bama) and recorded 7 sacks. Their offense also capitalized on those turnovers by scoring TD's. Had bama's defense held them to FG's they would have won. Bama is a great team but OU outplayed them and capitalized on their mistakes.

I agree with everything you said above and OU flat out won that game! It shows what potential they possess going into next year but I also agree with what I posted. Read carefully, I'm not taking away from that win. I'm just stating facts. Knight was phenomenal THAT night and Alabama did turn it over 5 times leading to 28 points. OU created most of them (AJ did throw 2 bone head passes) but I am defending the defense in my post, some anyway.(they still weren't a typical Bama D this year) and were exposed by OU.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't doubt a few idiots said that. I would have been on your side telling them they were ignorant. But, you can't find anything like that recently from people here on SportsHoopla. Sounds more like a CBS/ESPN thing.

Really doesn't matter where it was said, the fact that there is that kind of delusion out there based on what a few teams have accomplished.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia's perception discussion

I have to disagree and the majority in here of non-SEC fans might make it appear that the perception is Georgia hasn't helped with the conference perception but NO way, outisde this board and nationally, is that the norm. I will guarantee you people consider Georgia one of the teams that help make or build the SEC's perception and I don't need to go into all the reasons why. If you know anything about SEC football it speaks for itself!

When was Georgia helping the SEC?
In 2008 when Georgia tech beat them?
In 2009 when Oklahoma State beat them?
In 2010 when Colorado beat them?
In 2010 when Central Florida beat them?
In 2011 when Boise State beat them?
In 2011 when Michigan State beat them?
In 2013 when Clemson beat them?
In 2013 when Nebraska beat them?

Help me understand what statement win Georgia has given us during the SEC title run. Fuck I sound like a broken record. Who is going to address this great contribution Georgia has given to the SEC during their streak. I don't see it. Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every confernece has its good and bad teams. The difference is the SECs bad teams while they are bad are better than every other conferences bad teams.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every confernece has its good and bad teams. The difference is the SECs bad teams while they are bad are better than every other conferences bad teams.

That is the bulkshittest thing. Top to bottom, the big 12 is better over the BCS era. It's a better conference, just less hype and preseason rankings and chances to get into the NCG.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone has to be bad in a conference, right? Name any conference the bottom teams aren't bad? So all those SEC teams you mention has won BCS titles,except Georgia (but right there several times) and many of them multiple ones. Please name another conference that is even close to that? Oregon has be very good lately. Have they won one? My point is it isn't easy. I imagine Kentucky,Vanderbilt,Ole Miss, Mississippi St will probably never win another. Outside of that, the other 11 could. Look at Auburn and Missouri this year. They were both two of the worst teams in the league last year. This Year the winner of the SEC game between those two was going to the NC game! Maybe Ole Miss might put it all together once? So that leaves 11 out of 14 teams that could win one. Name another conference that sniffs this.

Now it only makes sense if these top teams are some of the best consistently in the country the others have to play them which makes life very difficult for them. I would also say if you agree with the first part of this paragraph than you agree these bottom teams would do better if in other leagues. How much better? Who knows but definitely better. Ole Miss is 12-1 in its last 13 bowl games!!! 12-1 with wins over Oklahoma St., Texas Tech,Nebraska,West Virginia, Michigan, Georgia Tech! If they are so bad how is that happening? They are a bottom feeder, right?

The funny thing about all this is it's ridiculous! The bottom teams are not as good as the top teams and have not done much! Really! What a profound statement. Pretty weak argument to attack the SEC with but I guess that is all someone has! :noidea:

Outside of the newcomers into the PAC every single team but AZ has won or shared a conference title, in the BCS era. The SEC isn't even close to that. It's much easier to win a conference when only 6 teams participate.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ding ding ding....... We have a winner for dumbest post of the year! :L

Dude my post is the truth. The SEC bottom runs in cycles look the worst team in the SEC this year was Kentucky in 2007 at one point they were ranked in the top 10 and beat that years national champions. Look at last year Auburn and Missori were in the bottom. This year they played a de facto semi final for a NCG berth. Look at Florida last year they won 11 games this year they won 4. My point is the SEC bottom runs in cycles.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was Georgia helping the SEC?
In 2008 when Georgia tech beat them?
In 2009 when Oklahoma State beat them?
In 2010 when Colorado beat them?
In 2010 when Central Florida beat them?
In 2011 when Boise State beat them?
In 2011 when Michigan State beat them?
In 2013 when Clemson beat them?
In 2013 when Nebraska beat them?

Help me understand what statement win Georgia has given us during the SEC title run. Fuck I sound like a broken record. Who is going to address this great contribution Georgia has given to the SEC during their streak. I don't see it. Anyone?

2013 8-5 (blew game to Nebraska and Auburn or a whisker from being 10-3) People know this!
2012 12-2 (loses by 5 yards to Bama from playing ND for championship) People know this!
2011 10-4
2010 6-7
2009 8-5
2008 10-3
2007 11-2
2006 9-4
2005 10-3
2004 10-2
2003 11-3
2002 13-1

That's a hell of a lot of wins that helps the SEC perception! Whether you want to only focus on the losses is your God given right. Not sure anyone is going to disagree Georgia has choked away some big games but they were in them and winning until late many times. People are aware of these good records and the fact they could have won many of those big games they didn't. Are they the #1 team in the SEC? No, but :omg: if you want to say a team with the above kind of resume' is not one of the teams that has helped the SEC perception than that reason alone should keep anyone from saying the league is overrated! It is your argument that shows what kind of league it is! Thanks! :suds:

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude my post is the truth. The SEC bottom runs in cycles look the worst team in the SEC this year was Kentucky in 2007 at one point they were ranked in the top 10 and beat that years national champions. Look at last year Auburn and Missori were in the bottom. This year they played a de facto semi final for a NCG berth. Look at Florida last year they won 11 games this year they won 4. My point is the SEC bottom runs in cycles.

Ya one game is not a barometer -- hell Washington State hung with Auburn on their home field this year. Guess by your standards WSU would be in the top half of the SEC vs bottom half of the PAC