• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bob stoops: SEC is not overwhelming

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of the same way a middle of the pack B12 (this year) team beat up on Bama, who by the way, pretty well owned the SEC.
Like I said above, you guys are really going to ride that one win for a while, disregarding all the othe evidence. I guess if my position was as weak as yours that's what I would do, too.

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet not a one of you have attempted to counter the analysis in my post above. Your TAMU and Missouri argument had been shot down over and over, but You can't go point for point as to why the SEC is the best today. I'd like to at least see the effort.

Like I said above, you guys are really going to ride that one win for a while, disregarding all the othe evidence. I guess if my position was as weak as yours that's what I would do, too.

Don't you guys have a preseason national championship you should be preparing for? :suds:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you guys have a preseason national championship you should be preparing for? :suds:
In other words, "I got nothing... You win." Thanks.

We don't celebrate the pre-season NC until after recruiting season. Everyone knows that. Duh.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many higher ranked teams did the SEC beat in bowl games? The SEC beat GT; Rice; Duke; Iowa; Whisky; Ok St; Hou. In each of these wins, the SEC team was ranked higher and/or favored. The two SEC losses came to worse ranked teams as well. This begs the question....does the SEC only play lower ranked teams to insure success with bowl stats? 7-2 looks good on paper, until you look at their competition in the games.

Looking at the B12, who finished 3-3 in bowls, look at the teams. KSU beats Mich; OU beats Bama; TT beats ASU. 2 of the 3 wins were against higher ranked/favored teams. The losses were to higher ranked/favored Ore; to lower ranked/not favored UCF; to higher ranked/favored Mizz. So, the B12 won 2/3 games against higher ranked/favored teams and lost 2/3 games against higher ranked teams. 3-3 doesn't look as impressive on paper until one looks at the competition. Lower ranked B12 teams beat PAC South champs ASU; 2 time defending champs Bama; lost to SEC East champ Mizz and AAC champ UCF.

The Baylor loss was the one B12 loss that was an upset. The OU and TT wins were upsets. The Bama and UG losses were upsets. None of the 7 SEC wins were upsets....all were favored. In other words, the SEC won when expected, and lost a couple that weren't expected. The B12, many were claiming pre-bowls, would maybe win 1 bowl game. BU was the only B12 team that people felt pretty confident of winning. Ironically, they were the one loss the B12 shouldn't have had. I don't know of any sane body that picked UT over Ore. Myself, as well as some others, thought Ok St might upset Mizz.

Long story short(well, short for me), the SEC won games they were expected to win with the exception of the Bama and UG losses. The B12 won more than expected, the one smear being the BU upset to lower ranked UCF. Head to head, the B12 and SEC are 1-1 this bowl season. From posts on this forum prior to bowls, the OU upset of Bama surely trumps higher ranked/favored Mizz's win over Ok St.

Does this mean the B12 is better than the SEC? No. To me, it supports what Stoops claimed.....the SEC is not OVERwhelming. They're good, but they're beatable when matched against a formidable opponent. Had mid tier SEC teams played Ore(#4 B12 UT) & ASU(#6 B12 TT) would be interesting to see how they fared. In all fairness, the BU loss was equally as ugly as Bama's. If Aub upsets FSU, then the SEC will have a banner win this bowl season. Perhaps not on the scale of OU's upset of Bama, but a good win still.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many higher ranked teams did the SEC beat in bowl games? The SEC beat GT; Rice; Duke; Iowa; Whisky; Ok St; Hou. In each of these wins, the SEC team was ranked higher and/or favored. The two SEC losses came to worse ranked teams as well. This begs the question....does the SEC only play lower ranked teams to insure success with bowl stats? 7-2 looks good on paper, until you look at their competition in the games.

Looking at the B12, who finished 3-3 in bowls, look at the teams. KSU beats Mich; OU beats Bama; TT beats ASU. 2 of the 3 wins were against higher ranked/favored teams. The losses were to higher ranked/favored Ore; to lower ranked/not favored UCF; to higher ranked/favored Mizz. So, the B12 won 2/3 games against higher ranked/favored teams and lost 2/3 games against higher ranked teams. 3-3 doesn't look as impressive on paper until one looks at the competition. Lower ranked B12 teams beat PAC South champs ASU; 2 time defending champs Bama; lost to SEC East champ Mizz and AAC champ UCF.

The Baylor loss was the one B12 loss that was an upset. The OU and TT wins were upsets. The Bama and UG losses were upsets. None of the 7 SEC wins were upsets....all were favored. In other words, the SEC won when expected, and lost a couple that weren't expected. The B12, many were claiming pre-bowls, would maybe win 1 bowl game. BU was the only B12 team that people felt pretty confident of winning. Ironically, they were the one loss the B12 shouldn't have had. I don't know of any sane body that picked UT over Ore. Myself, as well as some others, thought Ok St might upset Mizz.

Long story short(well, short for me), the SEC won games they were expected to win with the exception of the Bama and UG losses. The B12 won more than expected, the one smear being the BU upset to lower ranked UCF. Head to head, the B12 and SEC are 1-1 this bowl season. From posts on this forum prior to bowls, the OU upset of Bama surely trumps higher ranked/favored Mizz's win over Ok St.

Does this mean the B12 is better than the SEC? No. To me, it supports what Stoops claimed.....the SEC is not OVERwhelming. They're good, but they're beatable when matched against a formidable opponent. Had mid tier SEC teams played Ore(#4 B12 UT) & ASU(#6 B12 TT) would be interesting to see how they fared. In all fairness, the BU loss was equally as ugly as Bama's. If Aub upsets FSU, then the SEC will have a banner win this bowl season. Perhaps not on the scale of OU's upset of Bama, but a good win still.
Summary:

BigXII was 3-3.
SEC is 7-2 so far.

But, BigXII's wins were better wins because SEC teams were favored in their games.

Funny thing is you guys want it both ways. SEC teams are overrated, you say. They shouldn't be top 10 teams, you say. We get all the breaks in the rankings, and our preseason rankings elevate the EOY rankings. But wait, when it works for your argument, those highly ranked SEC teams' wins aren't legit because they were ranked higher than their opponents and should have won. Got it.

By the way, no one has ever said that the SEC is unbeatable. That would be dumb. What has been said is that over the past 7 years the SEC has been the dominant conference. You guys keep changing the discussion baseline because you can't or won't counter the points I made above.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god can a Georgia fan suck off the greatness of his conference anymore?

In this run of 7 national titles, wtf has Georgia done?

Not a damn thing. Might as well have a Miss State fan arguing this point.

Continue on with this hilarity.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Why are you even here, Ga. lost.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't deny that the SEC is the most dominant conference of the last 10 years or so.

I thought they were a bit down this year, but their bowl record indicates otherwise.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god can a Georgia fan suck off the greatness of his conference anymore?

In this run of 7 national titles, wtf has Georgia done?

Not a damn thing. Might as well have a Miss State fan arguing this point.

Continue on with this hilarity.
I made a detailed post about an issue that many others were discussing. You won't or can't respond ... I am open to someone showing me where I am wrong. So, instead or discussing or debating, you get frustrated and go into attack and name calling mode. That's fine by me ... reflects poorly on you not me.

I might take the time to show you what UGa has done in the Richt era, but for you to compare us to MSU shows you are totally ignorant about college football, and it wouldn't make any sense to you.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU has one very great win and OU is going to live off that one for a long time. Been awhile for a national title, but OU will continue to live on one bowl win. Congrats for raising the level of mediocracy to new heights. So much chirping; so little substance. Lawdog is simply giving his opinion and you guys are all over it. Nice...classy.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you even here, Ga. lost.
So, a team loses their bowl game and they can't participate in discussions on a sports forum? Is that a new rule I didn't hear about?

And, you still haven't attempted to respond to my post above. I'd love to see it, but I am confident you will continue to ramble on about things that don't make sense. When that is all you got, that's all you can do I suppose.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a detailed post about an issue that many others were discussing. You won't or can't respond ... I am open to someone showing me where I am wrong. So, instead or discussing or debating, you get frustrated and go into attack and name calling mode. That's fine by me ... reflects poorly on you not me.

I might take the time to show you what UGa has done in the Richt era, but for you to compare us to MSU shows you are totally ignorant about college football, and it wouldn't make any sense to you.

No you are the ignorant one. You are proving the point being made here. There are a select few programs in the SEC that are carrying their greatness and Georgia ain't one of them. Yet here you are. SEC IS SO GREAT.

Comedy. Pls continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OU has one very great win and OU is going to live off that one for a long time. Been awhile for a national title, but OU will continue to live on one bowl win. Congrats for raising the level of mediocracy to new heights. So much chirping; so little substance. Lawdog is simply giving his opinion and you guys are all over it. Nice...classy.

Wasn't that long ago many SEC'ers would say stupid shit like, our scrubs could win most any other conference, some sound like that now without actually saying it.

And yes, considering Bama was considered by many talking heads and fans to be the best in the land even though they lost to Aub (much like 2011 and the loss to LSU) and OU was considered a average team that had absolutely no chance against Bama, hell yeah we are going to crow about it, it's not like OU got lucky and run a missed FG back for a winning td, OU just flat beat Bama, and that's worth talking about.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you are the ignorant one. You are proving the point being made here. There are a select few programs in the SEC that are carrying their greatness and Georgia ain't one of them. Yet here you are. SEC IS SO GREAT.

Comedy. Pls continue.
LOL. As I said to another post above, in other words, "I got nothing!" If you really don't think UGa in the Richt era hasn't contributed to the SEC's strength, you are college football ignorant. No, we don't have a NC ... but we've been a top program in the SEC and the nation. Do some research and then come back. My guess is you will just spew some more of your hate and name calling.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't that long ago many SEC'ers would say stupid shit like, our scrubs could win most any other conference, some sound like that now without actually saying it.
I guarantee you that almost all the SEC posters here would be putting that shit down along with you. Find some posts where SEC fans here were saying that ... you probably can't and if you do they are idiots.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guarantee you that almost all the SEC posters here would be putting that shit down along with you. Find some posts where SEC fans here were saying that ... you probably can't and if you do they are idiots.

I'm not going to look back thru old posts, but if you claim you never heard such talk on these boards then you are just in denial.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current ESPeNis supplied narrative is that the SEC is best because of one of the teams from the SEC winning the NCG for X amount of years. A Big XII team just defeated the flagship of that narrative.

The specific team that has spurred that belief is Alabama. Auburn bought one (everyone including all of the other SEC schools' fans are in agreement of that fact). Florida has a couple and LSU has one. Since 06, an SEC team has brought home the hardware. Impressive.

Should those facts loft all of the other SEC teams in regards to polls? LSU and Florida weren't representative of a NCG team this year. USCe benefits, Georgia benefits, now A&M and Mizzou are getting the benefit as well. What did Florida and Georgia do this past year? LSU? Yet time and time again they were given the benefit of some belief that, by merely being in the SEC...they were better than another similarly equipped team from another conference.

'Bama didn't win the NCG this year. Neither did Florida or LSU and Auburn remains to be seen. There are four teams in the SEC that have won it over the past 7 years. Impressive. But for all of these other teams to benefit from the successes of less than a third of the conferences' accomplishments stinks. You can't see it because you enjoy the benefit.

The SEC's partnership with ESPN has driven this and it's been proven time and time again that the sports programming monopoly of ESPN steers and spins the narrative toward a positive SEC slant.

There was no TEAM SEC until ESPN had a vested interest. The manipulation of "journalism" covering amateur athletics by a corporate entity will eventually destroy amateur athletics. The current ESPN driven groundswell of dismantling the NCAA is more evidence that they don't care about competition and development of young people (which is what our beloved CFB should be about), all they see is $$$.

So call us haters or jelly or whatever help you legitimize the facts. Enjoy your preseason unearned love, again while the majority of your conference hides behind the Mississippi River. Just realize the end is nigh.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comedy. Pls continue.
By the way, couldn't a Kentucky fan be involved in a discussion on conference strength? They couldn't claim they have anything to do with it, but their insight might be welcome in such a discussion. But, instead of wanting to discuss the issue, you and few others just want to spew a bunch of crap that doesn't have anything to do with the discussion. It's either the sign of frustration - the inability to counter my points - or a weak mind. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it is the former.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to look back thru old posts, but if you claim you never heard such talk on these boards then you are just in denial.
I don't doubt a few idiots said that. I would have been on your side telling them they were ignorant. But, you can't find anything like that recently from people here on SportsHoopla. Sounds more like a CBS/ESPN thing.