• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bob stoops: SEC is not overwhelming

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the addition, and success, of T A&M and Missouri to the SEC exposed the myth of SEC dominance. The SEC also had a down year in regard to overall defense. Kind of ironic that two teams from a conference considered relatively weak had so much success in a conference considered head and shoulders above all others.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the addition, and success, of T A&M and Missouri to the SEC exposed the myth of SEC dominance. The SEC also had a down year in regard to overall defense. Kind of ironic that two teams from a conference considered relatively weak had so much success in a conference considered head and shoulders above all others.

I dont think it exposed anything Texas A&M and Missouri have both gone back and beat top end Big 12 teams since joining the SEC. A&M destroyed OU and Missouri won by 2 scores the other night. Chances are if those 2 were in the big 12 the past 2 years they would be at or near the top of the heap. People just look for any reason to talk trash about the SEC.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri is 16-9 since joining the SEC and A&M is 19-6. Missouri averaging 4.5 losses per season and A&M averaging 3 losses per season. I wouldnt exactly call that a ton of success. When LSU loses between 3 and 4.5 game in a season thats a bad season for us. Im pretty sure Bama would consider that a bad season too. So neither A&M nor Missouri are really world beaters. People just like to say that cause people love hating on the SEC.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking trash, so calm down Sparky. When these two teams joined the SEC, it was almost a unanimous position that they would both struggle mightily in the SEC due to the overwhelming superiority of SEC play. However, as has been brought up many times---and SEC homers cry like stuck pigs when it's brought up--part of the SEC myth is due to the cupcake OOC schedule they play.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri is 16-9 since joining the SEC and A&M is 19-6. Missouri averaging 4.5 losses per season and A&M averaging 3 losses per season. I wouldnt exactly call that a ton of success. When LSU loses between 3 and 4.5 game in a season thats a bad season for us. Im pretty sure Bama would consider that a bad season too. So neither of those 2 schools are really world beaters. People just like to say that cause people love hating on the SEC.

Didn't say world beaters.
Tamu was top offense. Mizz and Auburn (combined 2 wins in sec last year) are division winners.

So either they are made of magic or sec defense and sec strength is more myth than reality.

Magic teams? or myth hype? Which is it ?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The division winners this year won a combined TWO games in conference play last year.
Are Auburn and Mizz made of magic or is the conference just not that strong???

TAMU was the #1 offense last year in the SEC with a rookie coach and QB. Is TAMU made of magic or is "sec defense" just a myth?

I'll give you guys with sec ejukashuns some extra time to figure it out.

While I wont comment on your part about the education as that says all i need to know about you as a poster, i will comment on your lack of oversight.

Much the same as last year, this year we had a first year coach exploiting defenses with a new system and a perfect storm of circumstances. Last year Johnny football took the NCAA by storm with his gunslinger style of play and aTm with its new coach and system came on strong. Alot of what took place was the equivalent of facing a new pitcher in baseball, first time around you might get fooled, next time you are better prepared and get a hit. Even with his extra-ordinary talent aTm still lost two games last year and 4 this year, all in conference. 2 games in two years in conference is not stellar, just average.

Now to this year, Auburn has a new coach and a new staff. They were not down on talent last year, but had a coach who couldnt find his ass with both hands. The team knew this and mailed in a few games. This year the new staff found ways to win tight games and then found some magic as the team came together. Two games of luck or whatever you want to call it and they are in the mix.

Mizzou was a very injured team last year and not prepared for what came at them, throw in a big mouth who added fuel to the fire with his "old man football" comment and the SEC had extra motivation to lay it on Mizzou. Their rise to decency this year was not totally surprising but they did play very well in some big games. Playing in the EAST is also not that hard right now, so they benefited from that with Florida sucking, Georgia being hit with multiple injuries at key positions and SC being themselves.

Of course now you will claim this is all excuses, but you asked for an analysis and thats pretty spot on as to what and how it happened.

Now, tell me whats different between last year and this year that is the biggest difference? I will wait while your lack of education tries to figure it out.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking trash, so calm down Sparky. When these two teams joined the SEC, it was almost a unanimous position that they would both struggle mightily in the SEC due to the overwhelming superiority of SEC play. However, as has been brought up many times---and SEC homers cry like stuck pigs when it's brought up--part of the SEC myth is due to the cupcake OOC schedule they play.

Im calm, these schools have a 0.00 win % vs LSU since joining.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K. So your answer is "perfect storm", aka magic. Got it.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before last year how many times has A&M beat OU by about 4 touchdowns? Perfect storms happen.

Not over the course of a season. A rookie QB and coach should not be the clear #1 offense in a conference that is so lauded for their defense. That is either Magic or clear proof that the "sec defense" mantra is just hype.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not over the course of a season. A rookie QB and coach should not be the clear #1 offense in a conference that is so lauded for their defense. That is either Magic or clear proof that the "sec defense" mantra is just hype.

So after watching that game how many times do you think OU would have beat A&M out of 10 last year? 1-3? A&M was as good or better last year than they have been in a while thats why they had success in the SEC and went on to poo poo on OU. It isnt because the SEC was weak.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your answer is "magic team."
We got it.

Sec defense is all it's lauded to be. Tamu is just that magical badass.

:rollseyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really, so a first year team playing a style of offense that is not what the conference is geared for could not come in and have success based on a first time effect? The first year of a new coach, staff and what turned out to be a pretty elusive little bastard at QB that energized his team with his style of play could not possibly be a perfect storm at all:whistle: And whats funny is he still lost two games in conference.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, so a first year team playing a style of offense that is not what the conference is geared for could not come in and have success based on a first time effect? The first year of a new coach, staff and what turned out to be a pretty elusive little bastard at QB that energized his team with his style of play could not possibly be a perfect storm at all:whistle: And whats funny is he still lost two games in conference.

Oh ok. So you're arguing my point for me. Sec defenses are not good. They're just good against shitty, crusty boring, predictable sec offenses? Ok. Got it.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ok. So you're arguing my point for me. Sec defenses are not good. They're just good against shitty, crusty boring, predictable sec offenses? Ok. Got it.

In my opinion the SEC defense isnt what it used to be. I can admit that. If you are going for moral victories you've won!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Opinion based arguments are always over the top and yours are way over.

7-2 in bowl season so far says different this year, so apparently we play enough defense to be that good.

SEC defense were down this year, even on Bama's normally stout defensive team, does that mean they sucked, no.

And thanks for that predictable comment, apparently its not all that predictable or they would be getting beat more often. Fail.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Can't say for sure, but i seriously doubt A&M would have gone undefeated had they stayed in the B12. Probably at least one loss, maybe two. Remember, the B12 was geared defensively to slow them down. So, they most likely wouldn't have any better record in the B12.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Magic team that cant beat LSU to save their life but can wtfpwn a top tier B12 team by 27.

Kind of the same way a middle of the pack B12 (this year) team beat up on Bama, who by the way, pretty well owned the SEC.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet not a one of you have attempted to counter the analysis in my post above. Your TAMU and Missouri argument had been shot down over and over, but You can't go point for point as to why the SEC is the best today. I'd like to at least see the effort.