• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks 2014-15 Season Thread

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a win is a win I guess, two breakaways for Tazer, one short handed. Nordstrom was on first power play with Krueger, did a nice job, stayed disruptive on the forecheck, shawze fits ok on that fourth line. If losing Smitty opens up the opportunity for Nordstrom I guess its a yute for yute trade off. They said Teuvo skated extra after morning skate, didnt expect to play. Still seems really responsible defensively so maybe they allow him to stick after desjardins shows up. Could really make up a physical line if bickel and shaw continue to hit.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what was your take on the new guys?

Vermette seemed tentative to me. Saw him a few times trailing the play so far back that he looked like a 3rd defenseman.
I'm willing to give Timonen a pass. Was his first game all season. (He was -1.)
I guess on the bright side, neither wanted to make a mistake.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vermette had a real bad giveaway at the blue line. Timonen was alot smaller than I though he was, but considering he is probably two weeks away from really getting back he showed good signs. I heard Timonen will gel with the team alot faster than Vermette will, and considering that Richards has played all year and really hasnt gelled with anyone might not be a good sign with Vermette. Remembered seeing Timonen skating backwards with his stick in cross check position each time Crow froze a puck keeping anyone near him off the goalie.

I guess numbers are a real big thing with hockey players, it might take a while for Vermette to get over the fact he is no wearing 50 anymore. Maybe he will wear an old sweater underneath?

I also look forward to Timonen wearing off on TVR when he gets back. Seems a willing mentor to young players, and they are kinda similar stature.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Timonen will gel with the team alot faster than Vermette will, and considering that Richards has played all year and really hasnt gelled with anyone might not be a good sign with Vermette.

I also look forward to Timonen wearing off on TVR when he gets back. Seems a willing mentor to young players, and they are kinda similar stature.

Chemistry is definitely the issue anytime you change personnel. What looks good on paper may not work in actuality, or it may take too long for the chemistry to develop. I wouldn't worry too much the first few games. By the 5th game I'll be judging more critically.

As for Timonen, living in the Philly area now I watched him a lot and can say from a mental standpoint he's one of the best. He understands the game and can read plays as well as anyone. His limitations are, obviously, physically. He's never had a hard shot, but at least it's accurate. He's small and not particularly fast, but makes very good passes and can move the puck. Can QB a PP unit. Defensively he's strong positionally and uses his stick well. He's game in the crease but is limited by size, obviously. His age is clearly another concern. His play dropped off a bit the last 2 years, but he was still the Flyers best D-man. If truly healthy there's no reason he can't be a solid 3-4 d-man for the Hawks for the rest of the season and playoffs.

And yes, it would be great if he gets to work with TVR for a bit.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
today the rockford icehogs signed Seabrooks brother, Keith Seabrook, age 26, originally drafted by the Washington Capitals.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Smith scores his first goal for San Jose in his first game. Gotta feel good for smitty.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Edmonton game was almost painful to watch. Hawks were not clicking until the last 12 minutes.
Classy move to have Vermette shoot 3rd. Storybook ending.
And how about the fan that got hit/cut by the glass and she stayed before getting medical attention.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was too painful for me to watch. I got the first period, there was nothing there. Maybe its only me, but Versteeg goes to the first line and he looks like he is playing ice capades. Skating with his stick at his waist not on the ice, trying to make pretty passes, jeez, he had an open side of the net, held the puck until the goalie got squared up to him and then shot it into the stands from about 18 feet.

When Eddie O is screaming for the hawks to put a body on someone in the zone during a shooting gallery period, you know its bad.

Glad they turned it around, glad Sharp got a couple chances, but definitely played down to the Edmonton record. Pregame Eddie said this is a team you should take out of the game in the first period. Guess he should have told the hawks.

Like Vermette as second line center, Richards was active on the third line, fourth line was disruptive, just needed better effort. At least Crow showed up.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another ugly game full of turnovers. Desjardins and Bickell sat so Q could start the game with ex rangers and give Carcillo 7 minutes of ice time. Maybe getting those two points against the eastern conference or not letting them see what we would have in the stanley cup finals was part of it. Versteeg back on the first line skating alot, maybe Q is trying to get Sharp and Saad going again by playing them on lines that they should have a better chance of scoring on, but both of them are best playing with Toews and Hossa. Maybe they should try Toews, Sharp and Saad as a line. Seems Hoss makes everyone better. I'd even like to see Teuvo up with Toews a few shifts. He has the skillset of Kaner (not the same level, just the tools) with the addition of defense that Q usually uses to spark that top line.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bickell scratch surprised me.
If the Edmonton game was hard to watch, this was more painful.
Everything seems to be going south - passing, aggressive play, defense.
Thought Vermette had a much better game.
Carbomb may have had only 7 minutes, but he skated hard.
I usually don't worry about scoring slumps, but I'm getting worried. (Especially with Minny and Winny not far behind.)

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the powerplays were terrible. Its really something we cant replace Leddy as the guy bringing the puck up the ice. There were maybe 3 nice entries, otherwise, skaters are stopped waiting for the puck.

dont get me wrong, Rangers are a top team in the east, but when their PK is in our zone more than we were in theres its a big problem with no sign of a solution. Seems we have a better chance of Toews scoring short handed than we do of a power play goal.

Eddie mentioned that Bickell was one guy that responds to being a healthy scratch. Thought he was playing pretty well.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want TVR to be here with Timonen, but I wont be surprised if we dont see him either being deemed not ready. I thought he was with Rockford since last week, just skating, seems if he has not been in contact drills yet they are taking it really slow.

Cumiskey was skating well, skating fast to the net, then healthy scratched again with Runbland on with Seabs. Oduya didnt think he was too far away either, but you wonder who they will hold back for the playoff safety net.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI, my feeling is some of the puck movement (that you mentioned above) by the defense might improve when Oduya comes back. I hope.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards breaks thru on a powerplay to score his first in 23 games. Vermette had many many chances against his ex team mates. Klas Dahlbeck looked great. Vermette, Richards and Teuvo all had really strong games. That wake up call for Bickell has not reaped instant rewards yet but now just 5 points behind both St Louis and Nashville to get a home game 7 first round. Crow only needed 18 saves, got 17 just missing a really nice shot.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
early saturday game today, Nordstrom suspended two games for that boarding hit on Eckman Larson. Kinda tough for a first offending rookie.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully all of the various slumps are behind us... PP, scoring, defense (shame on Seebs), etc...

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was a big rift in the san jose locker room with the Wilson and Thornton rift with Thorton bitching out Wilson. Seemed pretty divided. I hope the dads trip bonded this group together, but dont think they are past all the problems just yet.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was a first line out there last night. Thats the difference I see with Sharpie when he is up there while Versteeg almost seems, (whats the word, entitled?) to be on the first line. Wow, Tazer destroyed Tavarez, was something like 22-6 against him at the dot at one point. Saad Vermette and Teuvo also had a strong game, Richards and Bickells were physical. Shaw given a game misconduct for head butting, so the third and fourth lines were pretty jarbled to cover for him. After Shaw got lit up at the blue line you knew he was gonna be aiming for someone, but Desjardins didnt bring the top fighting forward from San Jose with him to the game.

Late in the fourth the hawks were eating alot of glass, but nobody lost their composure to give them a powerplay. Its gonna be tough flying right out to their rink tonight, Darling should get the start, hopefully, Crow was very very good but really need to keep darling in games in case we need him.