• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big XII likely to expand by 2... not 4

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Rutgers added nothing from an athletic point of view. B1G watered down their conference by adding Rutgers and MD. HOWEVER, and once again, expansion has absolutely ZERO to do with how good your football program is and everything to do with TV markets and recruiting grounds, hence the reason shit bag football programs like Rutgers, MD, CU, MIZZWHO, etc were added for expansion in their conferences.

Leaving out some teams.

West Virginia is 26-25 overall, and 15-21 in the Big 12.

Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame to the ACC.

A&M to the SEC.

:2cents:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston and Uconn would be my choices.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get the geography situtation. But your quote wasn't about location. It was:

That's why I asked this:

I don't think Rutgers meets your criteria in "You also have to compete in every sport." At least Boise competes in football. (I think they are decent in a couple more." Rutgers may enter a team in every sport...but which one are they decent in to meet the criteria you suggested?

What I'm saying is a school doesn't have to be decent in every sport (or any of 'em) to get an invitation to join a P5. Just bring the viewership numbers and we'll take the money that comes with it. It doesn't matter about anything else.
The best way to explain my take, every situation isn't in a vacuum. Rutgers sucker at everything. BUT they do add some value purely based on location. More so than a team from Boise would. Yes Boise competes in football and can bring in some money, but it is likely they would lose money in every other aspect therefore nullifying any positives football would bring. Rutgers can suck at everything and still be more valuable than Boise (sadly).

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the main problems with Boise is they are in Idaho.

So? West Virginia is in West Virginia and you added them.

To further my point, Idaho is only slightly less populated than West Virginia, or Nebraska for that matter.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that they are a one sport program? You also have to compete in every sport. Sports that add zero value to the conference and sports that likely lose money for the university. Would love to see them compete in football, but it just doesn't make economical sense.

We're a team that contends for an at-large tournament bid in basketball every year, also offer a strong wrestling program but all anyone really gives a crap about is football and basketball

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're a team that contends for an at-large tournament bid in basketball every year, also offer a strong wrestling program but all anyone really gives a crap about is football and basketball
Honestly we have discussed this before, I think if Boise gets the funds they can compete. Would love to see it. I think this would be great for both, but I just don't know if they will get that chance. If they football program gets that money, they could compete on an even higher level.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly we have discussed this before, I think if Boise gets the funds they can compete. Would love to see it. I think this would be great for both, but I just don't know if they will get that chance. If they football program gets that money, they could compete on an even higher level.

It's a key point made in the pitch to the Big 12, hopefully they see it. Obviously as much as all of us argue they're the only ones who's opinion matters lol

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a key point made in the pitch to the Big 12, hopefully they see it. Obviously as much as all of us argue they're the only ones who's opinion matters lol
I would LOVE to see a yearly Boise/TCU game. Always ticked me off the MWC made the power move to get Boise a day late, dollar short. If they were sooner we could have seen some great matchups between Boise/Hawaii/Utah/BYU/Nevada/Fresno State.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To further my point, Idaho is only slightly less populated than West Virginia, or Nebraska for that matter.

West Virginia is closer to cities like Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Baltimore MD, brings some of all those markets and has a more recognized brand than BSU. If the state of WV had a bigger city in it WVU would be in the SEC or ACC right now. Nebraska has one of the best brands in CFB, their location doesn't really matter, people tend to watch that brand when they play, WVU as well to a lesser degree and the tv folks like that. I don't hate Boise and I hate what the networks have done to good football programs reputations but they are not the national brand that WVU or Nebraska is. Gotta get them tv eyeballs or at least you did when these networks and conferences were launching their conference networks during the last realignment. Big12 didn't need tv markets due to LHN but that prob changes in the future as LHN is doomed to fail and it gets morphed to a Big12 network.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boise will never get an invite.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia is closer to cities like Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Baltimore MD, brings some of all those markets and has a more recognized brand than BSU. If the state of WV had a bigger city in it WVU would be in the SEC or ACC right now. Nebraska has one of the best brands in CFB, their location doesn't really matter, people tend to watch that brand when they play, WVU as well to a lesser degree and the tv folks like that. I don't hate Boise and I hate what the networks have done to good football programs reputations but they are not the national brand that WVU or Nebraska is. Gotta get them tv eyeballs or at least you did when these networks and conferences were launching their conference networks during the last realignment. Big12 didn't need tv markets due to LHN but that prob changes in the future as LHN is doomed to fail and it gets morphed to a Big12 network.

We aren't quite the national brand of West Virginia or Nebraska, yes, but of all the candidates on this list Boise State has by far the biggest national brand and will in fact bring the most viewers to the TV sets. For the record I was using West Virginia and Nebraska for comparison those were some of the better adds made by their respective conference and in the case of West Virginia it shows the Big 12 may be willing to try a similar route again. I think a program that's the primary team with a name brand in a smaller market is a lot better than a program in a bigger market but not even the primary team in that market.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conferences should not have more than 10 schools. I have said this before I will say it again. The Perfect system would be
8 10 school Conferences.
The 8 Conference winner play 2 weeks after the season.
Bowl Games
The 4 Winners of those games would play on Jan 2nd
The 2 Winners would play on Jan 9th

80 Schools would have a shot every year for a Title. More than in Basketball.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't quite the national brand of West Virginia or Nebraska, yes, but of all the candidates on this list Boise State has by far the biggest national brand and will in fact bring the most viewers to the TV sets. For the record I was using West Virginia and Nebraska for comparison those were some of the better adds made by their respective conference and in the case of West Virginia it shows the Big 12 may be willing to try a similar route again. I think a program that's the primary team with a name brand in a smaller market is a lot better than a program in a bigger market but not even the primary team in that market.

Boise is up to 750,000 people plus metro and growing rapidly. For those who have been there before it's very easy to see why. Obviously it's not some massive city but as it stands today it would have a larger population than over half the cities of the current Big 12 teams.

SILVER BULLET

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be overly surprised if the Big 12 added Boise State. Personally, I like BSU where they are, and the cinderella story they bring to the game. It's good for college football. That Oklahoma upset in the Fiesta that year was epic!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conferences should not have more than 10 schools. I have said this before I will say it again. The Perfect system would be
8 10 school Conferences.
Bowl Games

I don't know about that "80 schools having a shot" part. It's probably more like 10 that have a legit chance at the title every year.

Otherwise, no argument. 10 teams with a 12-game schedule is perfect. It just doesn't seem like the conferences themselves agree with us.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise will never get an invite.

This whole expansion is about getting the bigger TV contract, and the bigger TV contract is who brings the most viewers. The most viewers would be the biggest brand. Boise State is easily the biggest brand, for proof look at your first post in this thread, who do you mention?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be overly surprised if the Big 12 added Boise State. Personally, I like BSU where they are, and the cinderella story they bring to the game. It's good for college football. That Oklahoma upset in the Fiesta that year was epic!

It's definitely a great story, if you take a step back it's pretty amazing what we've accomplished with much less for resources than the big schools. At the same time part of the story is seeing what we can do with those resources.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 10 school Conferences.
Bowl Games

This would honestly be a much better system than we have now.

I sure hope we never get to the point of 16 team conferences, 14 is already ridiculous.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole expansion is about getting the bigger TV contract, and the bigger TV contract is who brings the most viewers. The most viewers would be the biggest brand. Boise State is easily the biggest brand, for proof look at your first post in this thread, who do you mention?

Boise is in Idaho. They are isolated. No major markets around no dense population areas. There are just better options. Boise has done a good job of building into what they are now but it's just the fact.