• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big XII likely to expand by 2... not 4

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that they are a one sport program? You also have to compete in every sport. Sports that add zero value to the conference and sports that likely lose money for the university. Would love to see them compete in football, but it just doesn't make economical sense.
What's Rutgers good at?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who goes were. 4 conferences. 16 teams each. That's the future
This is why I want the Big 12 to just check it in RIGHT NOW. Let's get on with the 4-16!!!!!

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for sending Mizzou and A&M back. With just 8 conference and the annual rivalry game with Auburn, we go way too long without seeing certain members of the SEC West.

Georgia has yet to play Texas A&M since they've joined the SEC

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for sending Mizzou and A&M back. With just 8 conference and the annual rivalry game with Auburn, we go way too long without seeing certain members of the SEC West.

Georgia has yet to play Texas A&M since they've joined the SEC
I went to the Independence Bowl when we played Georgia a few years back. That place was a shit hole but you Georgia fans were great. That was our second year under Sleepy Sherman. Looked like a good game in the first quarter but we got curb stomped pretty well after that. I've been wanting a rematch ever since.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the Independence Bowl when we played Georgia a few years back. That place was a shit hole but you Georgia fans were great. That was our second year under Sleepy Sherman. Looked like a good game in the first quarter but we got curb stomped pretty well after that. I've been wanting a rematch ever since.

I remember that game. Small consolation after a disappointing season for UGA.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact is this expansion is all about the TV contract, and simply put no program will lead to as many eyes on games as Boise State would.

BYU and Boise State are easily the two best options, they are further away but if the Big 12 cared about distance they wouldn't have added West Virginia.

It's as simple as this who would you actually watch?

Boise State/BYU vs Texas, Oklahoma, TCU

or Cincinnati/Memphis against those teams?

100% true.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are correct except I would say it is more about the money the TV contacts bring in than the TV contracts themselves...so it still goes back to they move for money. Unless it is realistically close enough to drive to a game, distance doesn't seem to matter nowadays. Hell, even if schools are proximal, there only only a limited number of tickets provided to the visitors in most cases.

This is also 100% true.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 can expand but I still think they are doomed.

Within four-five years we will be looking at 4 super conferences with about 16 teams each
Pac-16 will pick up Texas Tech, OSU, Rob another Conference for #3, Some independant maybe BYU just for football,
Big 16 will get Texas, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Some independent maybe Notre Dame just for football.
SEC will get - OU, TCU, Probably steal VT and someone else.
ACC will take WVU
Baylor can go to the Southland Conference. They play most of them OOC anyway.

Johnny-Carson.jpg
Don't see VT leaving the ACC anytime in the near future with the GoR. Also think that if Notre Dame joins a conference, it'll be the ACC. If Notre Dame eventually joins the ACC then I can definitely see the ACC softening its stance on WVU to get a respectable team to get to 16 instead of a school like UConn.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being in a decent location. Boise doesn't have that luxury.
I totally get the geography situtation. But your quote wasn't about location. It was:

And that they are a one sport program? You also have to compete in every sport. Sports that add zero value to the conference and sports that likely lose money for the university. Would love to see them compete in football, but it just doesn't make economical sense.

That's why I asked this:
What's Rutgers good at?

I don't think Rutgers meets your criteria in "You also have to compete in every sport." At least Boise competes in football. (I think they are decent in a couple more." Rutgers may enter a team in every sport...but which one are they decent in to meet the criteria you suggested?

What I'm saying is a school doesn't have to be decent in every sport (or any of 'em) to get an invitation to join a P5. Just bring the viewership numbers and we'll take the money that comes with it. It doesn't matter about anything else.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic. Making new jersey and new York TV's in-market rather than out of market.
Exactly...had nuttin' to do with the quality of Rutger's athletic program.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get the geography situtation. But your quote wasn't about location. It was:

That's why I asked this:

I don't think Rutgers meets your criteria in "You also have to compete in every sport." At least Boise competes in football. (I think they are decent in a couple more." Rutgers may enter a team in every sport...but which one are they decent in to meet the criteria you suggested?

What I'm saying is a school doesn't have to be decent in every sport (or any of 'em) to get an invitation to join a P5. Just bring the viewership numbers and we'll take the money that comes with it. It doesn't matter about anything else.
Obviously I'm all for BSU, but there are some crippling issues that I fear disqualify them from serious consideration at this point. They are competitive in many sports Nationally, but no baseball program. If it was a condition I think they would fix it quick, but not there now. Local TV market is a huge issue as many of the other options come from cities with greater populations than the State of Idaho. This creates the next negative as recruiting the State is proportionately an un-factor. Lastly, (while improving at nearly a Nation leading pace) is the academics issue. BSU for years had to serve as both a University and the only local option for Community College type classes....hence the Truck Driving certification jokes. Since the College of Western Idaho opened nearly 10 years ago BSU has separated themselves from this stigma to a degree.

If it was just about bringing in the best football option I think BSU is in the serious discussion. But this is business and there are options that make more sense from that standpoint.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So adding Boise brings in the ever coveted Idaho market.
Hell no. That ain't worth nuttin' financially...which is why I'm saying only $$$ matters regarding conference expansion.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, why are we even discussing OTHER sports when talking about expansion for football???

I know AD's and Conference Honchos like to say stuff like "we want schools that have a compatible mix of programs and academics" but that's just a convenient way to shoot down schools you want to quickly eliminate.

Colorado and Utah most likely do not compete in half a dozen olympic sports that the rest of the PAC has been doing for over a century. For that matter, I'm not even sure if the Arizona schools have all of those sports, and I'm a die-hard fan of all Arizona teams since about 2 weeks ago.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why I asked this:

Adding Rutgers added nothing from an athletic point of view. B1G watered down their conference by adding Rutgers and MD. HOWEVER, and once again, expansion has absolutely ZERO to do with how good your football program is and everything to do with TV markets and recruiting grounds, hence the reason shit bag football programs like Rutgers, MD, CU, MIZZWHO, etc were added for expansion in their conferences.