• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 schools and the B1G

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing the B1G should do is add teams, especially Kansas and UVA. The worst division in the P5 would get much more weaker(Big Ten West) with Kansas in it.
Whatever division FSU and Clemson are not in, in the ACC, is the worst P5 division.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing the B1G should do is add teams, especially Kansas and UVA. The worst division in the P5 would get much more weaker(Big Ten West) with Kansas in it.

The Big ten added Rutgers and Maryland, I don't think they're worried about adding quality teams.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC East was significantly stronger than the Big Ten West last year. According to Sagarin the SEC West was the weakest P5 division.
I think Sagarin is broken

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever division FSU and Clemson are not in, in the ACC, is the worst P5 division.

According to Sagarin, the ACC Coastal was slightly better than the Big Ten West.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Sagarin, the ACC Coastal was slightly better than the Big Ten West.
I just pulled up his rankings. He has the SEC East 3rd. His list is officially shit.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this guy thinks that the Big 12 TV deal would remain the same even though Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and some other team went to another conference.

The guy's on dope. So how much of what is left in the article is completely made up in his mind??
Actually the logic on the TV deal not changing has sound logic to it and has already been tested once by the Big 12. The legal theory is that if the Networks changed the economics of the media deal based on defections then they become a legal consideration for the members of the conference that do not leave.

For example say Texas and Oklahoma leave and FOX were to change the overall payout to the conference then it becomes an economic consideration to a civil lawsuit and more than likely FOX could be found liable as well. This is further complicated because many times the conferences are consulting with the networks on expansion possibilities at different times in the process and that could be seen as collusion. Networks have to be extremely careful not to be seen as tampering (or they could be found liable in a change) therefore they almost do not have a choice but to continue whatever agreed upon payout.

The last thing a network wants is to be in the position of defending itself against a tampering lawsuit which could be incredibly expense so they will default to the position that they have no control and honor all contracts to the letter for the duration.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pulled up his rankings. He has the SEC East 3rd. His list is officially shit.

I'd be curious as to which division you think he rated behind was better? I think it's pretty spot on.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas and Iowa State Sought To Join Big Ten in 2010 | FOX Sports

Interesting as TexASS and company blamed Mizzou for all the teams leaving the conference

Not sure anyone blamed Mizzu, but I fail to see why you even mentioned Texas. They were not a part of this.
This report looks a bit suspect. A&M was always gung ho for the SEC, led by Gene Stallings. Not sure anyone would include Iowa State in their group. I am pretty sure everyone reached out to a conference at 1 time or another when the big move happened. I am not sure that meant anything more than doing their homework.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be curious as to which division you think he rated behind was better? I think it's pretty spot on.
Curious as to which division is better than the SEC East?

The B1G East, without question, is vastly superior.
The ACC Atlantic, without question, is vastly superior.
The entire Big 12 (whom he also ranked behind the SEC East), quite obviously, is vastly superior.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Big Ten is done with Midwest schools, they'd probably go after Virginia, maybe North Carolina.

In a dream scenario we could still grab Texas and Oklahoma. We could then slide a team from the West over to the east and have Mich OSU in the East and Texas Oklahoma in the west. In fact, they should have done that instead of getting Rutgers and Maryland. The problem with the south is that very few schools meet the academic standards of the B10. Virginia and North Carolina would be about the only acceptable targets. Not terrible adds but I don't know if we could really pull them away from the ACC -- which seems to be on the rise. And with ND basically joining the conference, they still have room to grow. The B12 is struggling and in need of adding major programs or dissolving.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a dream scenario we could still grab Texas and Oklahoma. We could then slide a team from the West over to the east and have Mich OSU in the East and Texas Oklahoma in the west. In fact, they should have done that instead of getting Rutgers and Maryland. The problem with the south is that very few schools meet the academic standards of the B10. Virginia and North Carolina would be about the only acceptable targets. Not terrible adds but I don't know if we could really pull them away from the ACC -- which seems to be on the rise. And with ND basically joining the conference, they still have room to grow. The B12 is struggling and in need of adding major programs or dissolving.

The thing is, the ACC makes the least amount of money from TV, and that's with them signing over their Tier 3 rights to ESPN. The ACC has no room to make anymore money, even if they started an ACC network they wouldn't get an extra penny since ESPN already owns their tier3. As for landing OU and Texas, the big ten probably messed that up when they took Rutgers and Maryland. OU is attached to osu, Texas would probably need to bring tech along. Only the pac 12 has room for all 4 teams, if we think 16 team conferences is the future.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious as to which division is better than the SEC East?

The B1G East, without question, is vastly superior.
The ACC Atlantic, without question, is vastly superior.
The entire Big 12 (whom he also ranked behind the SEC East), quite obviously, is vastly superior.

You have to take the good with the bad. He has Ohio State as his best team and Michigan State as his 6th best team, which I think is reasonable. The rest of the Big Ten East was mediocre to bad last year. The next highest rated team was 7-6 PSU at #46. FWIW, Kentucky was at #49.

I don't know why you're holding the Big Ten East to such high regard? The Big 12 has Texas Tech, Kansas, and Iowa State in it. You may think UK is bad, but they are absolutely better than those 3 and by a substantial margin.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, the ACC makes the least amount of money from TV, and that's with them signing over their Tier 3 rights to ESPN. The ACC has no room to make anymore money, even if they started an ACC network they wouldn't get an extra penny since ESPN already owns their tier3. As for landing OU and Texas, the big ten probably messed that up when they took Rutgers and Maryland. OU is attached to osu, Texas would probably need to bring tech along. Only the pac 12 has room for all 4 teams, if we think 16 team conferences is the future.

I think this is the most important aspect of future Conference realignment. Pac the has the room to make a major deal. They are the only conference capable of taking on members that could maintain old alliances/rivalries. PLus, I think they are the most in need of expansion. Big 10 and SEC do not need to do anything.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to take the good with the bad. He has Ohio State as his best team and Michigan State as his 6th best team, which I think is reasonable. The rest of the Big Ten East was mediocre to bad last year. The next highest rated team was 7-6 PSU at #46. FWIW, Kentucky was at #49.

I don't know why you're holding the Big Ten East to such high regard? The Big 12 has Texas Tech, Kansas, and Iowa State in it. You may think UK is bad, but they are absolutely better than those 3 and by a substantial margin.
It isn't that I'm holding them to such a high regard, I'm pointing out that they're clearly better than the SEC East, along with the others I mentioned.

Taking the good with the bad applies to the SEC East, as well. The champ of that division lost to Indiana, one of the bottom teams in the entire B1G. Georgia was good but not near the level of Michigan State. The rest of that division was mediocre to bad, as well, just as you described the B1G East.

Are you actually trying to say the SEC East is the 3rd best division in college football?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't that I'm holding them to such a high regard, I'm pointing out that they're clearly better than the SEC East, along with the others I mentioned.

Taking the good with the bad applies to the SEC East, as well. The champ of that division lost to Indiana, one of the bottom teams in the entire B1G. Georgia was good but not near the level of Michigan State. The rest of that division was mediocre to bad, as well, just as you described the B1G East.

Are you actually trying to say the SEC East is the 3rd best division in college football?

Yes, that's correct, but if everybody was held to their worst loss, FSU would be the best team, and we both know that isn't correct. The Missouri lost to Indiana is taken into account. And I'm not so sure UGA and Michigan State weren't about equal. UGA beat SIX teams in Sagarin's top 30(including bowl season) Michigan State defeated TWO. All those good wins cancel out their bad loss IMO to South Carolina. I would take Tennessee, Florida and South Carolina over whatever you're going to throw at me from the B1G East. And hell Kentucky is about the same as PSU, MD, Rutgers, even though they had a worse record.

So, I guess, yes, I am arguing that the SEC East was the 3rd best division in college football. And the numbers appear to back up my opinion.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the most important aspect of future Conference realignment. Pac the has the room to make a major deal. They are the only conference capable of taking on members that could maintain old alliances/rivalries. PLus, I think they are the most in need of expansion. Big 10 and SEC do not need to do anything.

Now if it's the ACC that explodes, the Big 12 can now take 6 teams and like you said has the advantage of taking a bunch of teams that can keep regional rivalries in tact.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if it's the ACC that explodes, the Big 12 can now take 6 teams and like you said has the advantage of taking a bunch of teams that can keep regional rivalries in tact.

I think the PAC makes the next move. They have to make it or they will never be able to match the Big 10 or SEC.