• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bevell to BYU?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add to those thoughts dude, allowing coordinators to take head coaching vacancies means that top shelf coaches will be more likely to come to Seattle and work under John and Pete. If you know that they're going to stand in your way, then you're less likely to start working for them in the first place.

It's the same philosophy that makes undrafted guys like Rawls more likely to sign here. Because they know that Pete and John will give them a fair chance to compete and won't play vets who don't deserve it.

An unproven but dynamic position coach will come to Seattle because they know that winning will advance their career, and no-one will stand in their way if they have an opportunity for an upward move elsewhere.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the counter argument to this, all you have to do is look at the defense. In 2012, the Seahawks had Gus Bradley at defensive coordinator and a really good defense. You could make the argument that the Seahawks shouldn't have messed with what they had by letting Bradley move on. Well, he did move on to Jacksonville and the team hired Quinn to be the next d-coordinator. All they did under Quinn was become an elite defense and go to back-to-back Super Bowls. They've since moved on to Kris Richard because they let Quinn move on to become a head coach as well.

We don't know how that's going to turn out, but the point is that you could make the argument a couple of years ago that the Seahawks shouldn't have upset the apple cart by letting Bradley move on, but they did and it paid off. Obviously Bevell was the offensive coordinator through all of that and letting him go might not necessarily get the same results that letting Bradley leave did, but Bevell is not going to be the offensive coordinator here forever. He's eventually going to move on or the team is going to move on from him and it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing when it happens.
dude, I hope you know I respect you a lot as a poster, but we lost the Atlanta Play Off game because we had no pass rush at the end. Yes, Bradley went away but Quinn got Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril action figures to start his campaign as our DC and those 2 additions were over the toppers.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks (like every other team) could not have interfered with Bradley/Quinn/etc. interviewing for NFL HC positions. That would be a promotion from their duties as DCs and thus the team is powerless to block those interviews.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct me if I'm wrong, but can't teams block interviews TIMING as opposed to whether they happen? So an upward move can't be torpedoed, but the team could make the interested party wait until the Seahawks season is over before sitting down with the candidate.

Which, depending on time constraints can mean basically scuttling the deal.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude, I hope you know I respect you a lot as a poster, but we lost the Atlanta Play Off game because we had no pass rush at the end. Yes, Bradley went away but Quinn got Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril action figures to start his campaign as our DC and those 2 additions were over the toppers.

And Clemons was out. Rookie Irvin was the ONLY pass rusher on the field in the closing minutes of that game. It drives me crazy that people blame Bradley for that loss. WTF was he supposed to do? The pass rush wasn't there, all he could do was put the onus on the coverage and expect them to hold up. It just didn't work out. But of course, the players on the field are never to blame, just coaches.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct me if I'm wrong, but can't teams block interviews TIMING as opposed to whether they happen? So an upward move can't be torpedoed, but the team could make the interested party wait until the Seahawks season is over before sitting down with the candidate.

Which, depending on time constraints can mean basically scuttling the deal.

That's most likely accurate, but NFL teams typically wouldn't be looking to do a full HC search in season either.

I don't know that a college HC position is treated the same as an NFL one. They might be able to completely block attempts from a college to interview an assistant.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that gets me is that when the big guys that we pick up go down the offense seems to be able to come together and perform. We had this gameplan with Graham and it wasn't clicking. He goes down and Wilson is out of his head. Harvin goes away last year and the offense becomes respectable again. Lynch goes down this year and Rawls goes off.

It's like when they have to throw the script out of the window and let Wilson be Wilson then things are great. He doesn't really need anything fancy. Just go with traditional sets and vertical patterns and he'll tear it up from the pocket. Everybody still has this "too short to see the field" thing but when they really commit to him being in the pocket he tears it up.

I think Bevell has done a great job since the bye. I'd say he's been the best play caller in the NFL since then. He deserves credit for this. But it took us a long time to realize that things just weren't working and I'm starting to think it's an organizational sort of thing. PC had it in his head that if we win the turnover battle we'll win the game and that's what Bevell served up. Some of these passes that Wilson is throwing now are higher risk and he's throwing darts. This isn't a big deal because you can go back to Wisconsin days and he has no problem throwing darts. Being able to put it in tight windows with a ton of zip is one of his greatest strengths. Just let Wilson do his thing. That's all I've been asking.

But one thing that is really getting overlooked is Doug Baldwin is playing out of his head. The whole "well he's throwing to UFA's" doesn't hold weight anymore because Baldwin has worked his ass off and is now a rock solid receiver in this league.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin is really impressing me this year also. I really didn't think he could play this good, hopefully it continues.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a choice between a QB or an OC. This about the value of continuity in the coaching staff -- a staff that has appeared in the last 2 SBs. If this O continues to trend upward with a strong push in the playoffs, I think we take a hit on that side by losing its architect. And I don't want our team to take a hit.

I didnt say it was a choice, im saying the QB is far more important than the OC. Wilson is becoming elite, i dont think an OC change will stop that.

Like everyone keeps saying, the offense is run the way carroll wants it run, so what difference would it really make if the OC is changed?

I think a new OC would be a good thing and we would have the pick of the litter considering our QB and history of coordinators getting HC jobs.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the counter argument to this, all you have to do is look at the defense. In 2012, the Seahawks had Gus Bradley at defensive coordinator and a really good defense. You could make the argument that the Seahawks shouldn't have messed with what they had by letting Bradley move on. Well, he did move on to Jacksonville and the team hired Quinn to be the next d-coordinator. All they did under Quinn was become an elite defense and go to back-to-back Super Bowls. They've since moved on to Kris Richard because they let Quinn move on to become a head coach as well.

We don't know how that's going to turn out, but the point is that you could make the argument a couple of years ago that the Seahawks shouldn't have upset the apple cart by letting Bradley move on, but they did and it paid off. Obviously Bevell was the offensive coordinator through all of that and letting him go might not necessarily get the same results that letting Bradley leave did, but Bevell is not going to be the offensive coordinator here forever. He's eventually going to move on or the team is going to move on from him and it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing when it happens.
Yeah, I get the hire-the-understudy routine, but I don't see one of those on our staff. Not like Quinn was to Bradley or even like Richard was to Quinn.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt say it was a choice, im saying the QB is far more important than the OC. Wilson is becoming elite, i dont think an OC change will stop that.

Like everyone keeps saying, the offense is run the way carroll wants it run, so what difference would it really make if the OC is changed?

I think a new OC would be a good thing and we would have the pick of the litter considering our QB and history of coordinators getting HC jobs.
I would much rather have our burgeoning elite-level QB march into next season with continuity on the coaching staff. I agree the QB is more important (harder to find a good one) than the OC, but that's largely irrelevant to whether we're better with or without Bevell. Sometimes change is good, but sometimes continuity trumps change. With Lockett going into his 2nd year next season, Richardson in his 3rd (but really his 2nd), and Jimmy his 2nd on this team, I think changing coordinators is risky. May not be our choice if Bevell wants the job, but I think him leaving could signal another slow offensive start next year.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get the hire-the-understudy routine, but I don't see one of those on our staff. Not like Quinn was to Bradley or even like Richard was to Quinn.

Quinn wasn't an understudy to Bradley. He was at UF.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is the ultimate team game, too many times fans/media want to give the credit/blame to one individual. Bevell has a big part in this offense just like the OL,WR TE RBs and QB. We do take a hit with his departure but a lot of his work in developing players and a system will remain with the team. The biggest reason for this team's prolonged success is their ability to develop players.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have been very successful in the last few years. It would be foolish to change personel just for the sake of change. Reason is, it might not work out as you had hoped.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many OCs have the patriots had under brady? didnt effect them at all because brady is the offense. this may sound crazy but i feel wilson is his generations tom brady.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many OCs have the patriots had under brady? didnt effect them at all because brady is the offense. this may sound crazy but i feel wilson is his generations tom brady.
Didn't affect them at all? At all? Not possible to measure such a thing for you to say it like it's fact. They went 10 years between SB wins. Is that evidence that it didn't affect them "at all"? I certainly don't want to do that.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,724.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The head coach at BYU has decided to leave that school and take the job at Virginia, leaving the BYU job open. On the list of potential replacements, according to Field Gulls, is Darrell Bevell. Right now, it seems to be just a rumor that he's a candidate. I know that there are some people who would like him to not only be on that list, but to have been offered and to have accepted the job, effective immediately, but even if he's on the list and they're seriously interesting, he's probably not going anywhere until the season ends for the Seahawks.

My question is this: If he does leave, who can you see the Seahawks replacing him with and who would you like to see the Seahawks replace him with?

Darrell Bevell a candidate for the head coach spot at BYU?

Ken Niumatalolo.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't affect them at all? At all? Not possible to measure such a thing for you to say it like it's fact. They went 10 years between SB wins. Is that evidence that it didn't affect them "at all"? I certainly don't want to do that.

they have had a top 10 scoring offense every year since 2004, the worst their offense has ranked under brady is 12th. to boil it down to superbowl wins is ridiculous, they have been a dominant offensive team regardless of who the OC is.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As Sonny pointed out, thanks to injuries we were down to one pass rusher by the end of that game and he was a rookie. I'm not entirely sure what Bradley could have done to salvage that. Maybe he could have blitzed more towards the end of that game or just on that final drive. And yes, Quinn was able to start his tenure as coordinator with some new weapons in the pass rush, but I believe we would have gotten those guys even if Bradley had stayed simply because we lacked depth there and needed reinforcements anyway. That's kinda my point. People are so afraid that letting Bevell leave is going to screw with the continuity on offense and while it certainly could, I believe that getting, retaining or losing certain players would have a bigger impact on how good or bad the offense is than losing Bevell would. I could be wrong and we're eventually going to find out whether some people want to or not, but this organization's entire philosophy hinges on "next man up" and I don't think that applies solely to the players.