• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bevell to BYU?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The head coach at BYU has decided to leave that school and take the job at Virginia, leaving the BYU job open. On the list of potential replacements, according to Field Gulls, is Darrell Bevell. Right now, it seems to be just a rumor that he's a candidate. I know that there are some people who would like him to not only be on that list, but to have been offered and to have accepted the job, effective immediately, but even if he's on the list and they're seriously interesting, he's probably not going anywhere until the season ends for the Seahawks.

My question is this: If he does leave, who can you see the Seahawks replacing him with and who would you like to see the Seahawks replace him with?

Darrell Bevell a candidate for the head coach spot at BYU?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope he doesn't leave. You don't mess with success.

The key for me is to find someone who runs the same system as Bevell.

Fans obsess about play calling but they rarely understand why a play is called. So I'm not going to worry much about finding some offensive genius because I think the system we have in place works for us.

Of course I have no idea who runs the same system as Darrell Bevell.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be a shame to transition to a whole new offense if this one sustains the production its had over the last few weeks. Lack of continuity can be a killer, and when we talk about QBs who haven't lived up to expectations we usually also talk about all the different offensive coordinators they've had.

But if Bevell is truly a candidate at BYU and is offered the job, he's probably taking it. And I have no clue who a suitable replacement would be, but I would guess the interest in coming to Seattle to have a chance to coach a 27 year old RW and win some championships would be pretty high.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as people bitch about Bevel, I bet they'll cry if he leaves now. Who would replace him? Who knows, but Beau Baldwin is close to home.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about every Mormon football coach in the country is going to be rumored to be on that list. Mendenhall leaving was a bit surprising, and it left a vacuum that BYU and their fans weren't prepared for. Since this happened last week I've heard Bevell, Leach and about a half dozen other names (some I haven't even heard of before). If Bevell gets the job, good for him, but I would be disappointed to see him leave.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as people bitch about Bevel, I bet they'll cry if he leaves now. Who would replace him? Who knows, but Beau Baldwin is close to home.

Some people will certainly cheer. Because OCs are always hated by the fans because fans always think they know what the right play call is in every situation and they always "forget" when the play call they wanted fails miserably.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="JMR, post: 7682697, member: 9346"]I think it would be a shame to transition to a whole new offense if this one sustains the production its had over the last few weeks. Lack of continuity can be a killer, and when we talk about QBs who haven't lived up to expectations we usually also talk about all the different offensive coordinators they've had.

But if Bevell is truly a candidate at BYU and is offered the job, he's probably taking it. And I have no clue who a suitable replacement would be, but I would guess the interest in coming to Seattle to have a chance to coach a 27 year old RW and win some championships would be pretty high.[/QUOTE]
My guess is that the new OC would have to adapt to us as opposed to us adapting to him. Pete has shown that the offensive system he employs is successful when coupled with a strong D. In interviewing candidates, I'm quite positive if an OC interviewee wants to have a gun slinger offense, he wont get this gig. Whoever gets the job will be in camp with Pete wanting to remain a run 1st, play conservative, limit turnovers offense.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should he be offered the BYU job and take it, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if our next offensive coordinator came from the current coaching staff. They've already gone with the in-house candidate twice when it came to choosing a new defensive coordinator (despite going to coach at Florida for a little while, I consider Dan Quinn to be an in-house choice because he was with the Seahawks before going to Florida) and if they want a coordinator who already knows the system and the players, an in-house choice makes the most sense. In that case, I think Tom Cable might be the favorite to get the job. He's already an assistant head coach, so making him the coordinator wouldn't be much a stretch.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If BYU offers the job, Bevell should take it. They're a quality program with an already talented roster and it's a chance to be a head coach. Also, BYU is a very different recruiting situation than any other school because of the religion and the nature of their players being older. I think it would be a good hire for BYU.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Cable even want that job though?

That does make me laugh though, since Cable is the other most polarizing Seahawks coach. :)

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People that want him to stay are like guys that cry when their butt ugly girlfriens dumps them just because its all they have ever known. Ya she might give you a hummer once in a while but there are far better options out there.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Snugs would off himself if Cable got the job of OC. I'm pretty sure he hates Cable more tghan he does Bevell...wait...maybe not. His contempt for either one is stratospheric.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few guys here clearly smarter than the coaches we have. Bevell skating off to BYU just may be an opportunity for one of our resident genius playcallers to get their shot.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Snugs would off himself if Cable got the job of OC. I'm pretty sure he hates Cable more tghan he does Bevell...wait...maybe not. His contempt for either one is stratospheric.

if the offense, especially the OL, continues to improve they both bought themselves one more year.

that said, i dont know about cable as a play caller. he already has enough on his plate it seems. a new OC would have to come from outside.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Wizenhunt?

Is he Mormon?

Besides, that. Why would BYU want a coach that has a .130 winning percentage over the last 2 years and hasn't had a year over .500 since 2009? I really hope BYU doesn't hire Whisenhunt.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should he be offered the BYU job and take it, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if our next offensive coordinator came from the current coaching staff. They've already gone with the in-house candidate twice when it came to choosing a new defensive coordinator (despite going to coach at Florida for a little while, I consider Dan Quinn to be an in-house choice because he was with the Seahawks before going to Florida) and if they want a coordinator who already knows the system and the players, an in-house choice makes the most sense. In that case, I think Tom Cable might be the favorite to get the job. He's already an assistant head coach, so making him the coordinator wouldn't be much a stretch.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off: Thanks Jeebus for listening.

2nd. I'd look for someone who knows alot Offensive Line. NOT TOM CABLE and knows how to use the best of his talent.

Did I mention NOT TOM CABLE

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he Mormon?

Besides, that. Why would BYU want a coach that has a .130 winning percentage over the last 2 years and hasn't had a year over .500 since 2009? I really hope BYU doesn't hire Whisenhunt.

No, that was vague what I typed. What I meant to say was if Bevell goes to BYU, how about Ken Wizenhunt as the new OC.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that was vague what I typed. What I meant to say was if Bevell goes to BYU, how about Ken Wizenhunt as the new OC.

Gotcha. Hell, if he's taken some time to get his life back together, Steve Sarkisian may be a decent option as well - but only if he's gotten his alcohol issues under control.