• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Offensive Player - All Time

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually and very soon, Kobe Byant will be exiting the stage. Kobe would easily get my vote for the best offensive player the game has ever produced. I don't know that he has achieved that rare legenday status nor do I think most would place him as a top 5 player all time. But, I've been a watcher of the game since I was knee-high and w/ out a doubt, I think Kobe is the greatest offensive player with the greatest, most extensive repetoire the nba has ever produced. I realize that Lebron is the main man and Kevin Durant is close behind, yet Kobe could do so much more than either and with so much grace, more improvisational abilities, and his dislike of losing matches up with Michael's crazy intensity. MJ was more athletic than Kobe, faster and could jump higher. MJ could not dribble like Kobe and his shooting had far less range. Anyway, I hope Kobe gets his due and I also hope his comeback is successful.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kareem has the points to back it up. Also never seen Wilt play, but he was dominant on the offensive (and defensive) end. Also is offense just relegated to scoring? Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double over a season. Magic was amazing with the ball in his hands and could do so many different things.

One thing to note on the whole Kobe thing was that Michael played against much tougher and more physical defense. The game and the officiating has come a long ways with respects to hand checks and just overall level of contact allowed.

Either way, I don't think there is a "right" answer. It comes down to personal preference.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sushi

Agree w you 100 pct. I was trying to focus soley on offensive abilities not other tangibles. Re MJ and the way the game was played in his era: much more rugged, holding and scratching fouls were looked the other way, hard sometime vicious fouls given to anyone going to the hole - however, defensive schemes were more basic and there was no fancy zone D allowed. Michael got beat up but he played more against one on one defenders which included the "Michael rules".