• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Backcourt in the NBA

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so before the year started we heard the little rumbling going on between Wall/Beal and Irving/Waiters(L O fucking L).

As the new year comes around who do you guys think is the best backcourt in the NBA right now?

I think it is a very clear top 3 right now which does not include either of the 2 above nor the Raptors which I am almost certain will be mentioned by a certain someone on here.

What do you guys think?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I'd take the Splash Brothers

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I'd take the Splash Brothers

Obviously that is hard as shit to argue but I am starting to lean towards Bulls as Rose continues his ascent back to normal levels(outside today). He still needs to prove he is healthy.

In a game of 2 on 2 I think Butler and Rose win that easily but that isn't really a fair way to do the comparison.

Curry does a lot of his team as a PG but is easily the worst defender of the 4(still not bad). Butler and Thompson are very similar numbers wise with Jimmy being the better defender. I think Rose all around game is starting to edge Thompson again which would make me start to lean Bulls.

3rd is Lillard and Matthews. Crazy how little these two get talked about. People talk about the splash brothers from down town but fail to mention these two both hitting 40% and Wes actually leading the league in 3s. Lillard is clutch as hell and Matthews doesn't score as much as guys like Thompson/Butler because of his role being what it is but he is also a lock down defender second to probably Butler.

So those are my top 3. Bulls/Warriors, Warriors/Bulls, Blazers.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously that is hard as shit to argue but I am starting to lean towards Bulls as Rose continues his ascent back to normal levels(outside today). He still needs to prove he is healthy.

In a game of 2 on 2 I think Butler and Rose win that easily but that isn't really a fair way to do the comparison.

Curry does a lot of his team as a PG but is easily the worst defender of the 4(still not bad). Butler and Thompson are very similar numbers wise with Jimmy being the better defender. I think Rose all around game is starting to edge Thompson again which would make me start to lean Bulls.

3rd is Lillard and Matthews. Crazy how little these two get talked about. People talk about the splash brothers from down town but fail to mention these two both hitting 40% and Wes actually leading the league in 3s. Lillard is clutch as hell and Matthews doesn't score as much as guys like Thompson/Butler because of his role being what it is but he is also a lock down defender second to probably Butler.

So those are my top 3. Bulls/Warriors, Warriors/Bulls, Blazers.

The blazers definitely belong in the discussion, but I would take the bulls, warriors, and wizards backcourt over tha blazers this year. Lillard is awesome, but Matthews is very one dimensional and even though he is very good, he's got nothing on Thompson or butler. I'd also take beal slightly over Matthews and wall slightly over lillard. Blazers are at 4 though. Then probably Toronto when healthy.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns if you include bench.

Dragic & Bledsoe are both killing it and Green + Thomas are both sixth man of the year candidates.

Bledsoe's play has been pretty impressive especially. Putting up unreal numbers for a guard..

He's averaging 16.1 ppg, 5.8 apg, 5.3 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.0 3's Per game and just under 1 block per game.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dragic & Bledsoe are both killing it and Green + Thomas are both sixth man of the year candidates.

Bledsoe's play has been pretty impressive especially. Putting up unreal numbers for a guard..

He's averaging 16.1 ppg, 5.8 apg, 5.3 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.0 3's Per game and just under 1 block per game.

The suns are okay, but their backcourt is too short. The fact that golden state, Chicago, Washington, Portland and a healthy Toronto have 2 guards that can post up anyone on Phoenix makes me think that Phoenix's backcourt is good, but seriously flawed. After the aforementioned 5, Phoenix is the 6th best backcourt. Their model is horrid. They can't come up with a best backcourt if they are all very short.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The suns are okay, but their backcourt is too short. The fact that golden state, Chicago, Washington, Portland and a healthy Toronto have 2 guards that can post up anyone on Phoenix makes me think that Phoenix's backcourt is good, but seriously flawed. After the aforementioned 5, Phoenix is the 6th best backcourt. Their model is horrid. They can't come up with a best backcourt if they are all very short.

Posting up? How many SG's actually post up in the NBA? Bledsoe is an elite defender and he is very strong, most players he gives up a couple inches to usually can't out muscle him anyways. Dragic is no slouch defensively himself. The only one that slows us down defensively is Thomas.

They just recently went head to head against Wall and Beal in Washington and ran them out of the gym. Instead of being focused on how they will guard other teams, other teams need to figure out how they will defend those three.

Dragic, Bledsoe and Thomas logged 50 minutes of court time together and outscored the opposition by 35 points per 100 possessions during their current 6 game win-streak. Now that they are all healthy, it seems to be working just fine.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posting up? How many SG's actually post up in the NBA? Bledsoe is an elite defender and he is very strong, most players he gives up a couple inches to usually can't out muscle him anyways. Dragic is no slouch defensively himself. The only one that slows us down defensively is Thomas.

They just recently went head to head against Wall and Beal in Washington and ran them out of the gym. Instead of being focused on how they will guard other teams, other teams need to figure out how they will defend those three.

Dragic, Bledsoe and Thomas logged 50 minutes of court time together and outscored the opposition by 35 points per 100 possessions during their current 6 game win-streak. Now that they are all healthy, it seems to be working just fine.

Golden State, Chicago and Washington have better back courts than the Suns.

Midget ball is fun to watch and they can score.

But, that hasn't been a successful type of combo of players Historically and they are a strong possibility to miss the playoffs..again.

Can't say that about the other 3.

They have size, strength, scoring and passing.

I love the Suns Tiny Titans.

But, they are a rung lower...imo

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VT3T8C0.png

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The blazers definitely belong in the discussion, but I would take the bulls, warriors, and wizards backcourt over tha blazers this year. Lillard is awesome, but Matthews is very one dimensional and even though he is very good, he's got nothing on Thompson or butler. I'd also take beal slightly over Matthews and wall slightly over lillard. Blazers are at 4 though. Then probably Toronto when healthy.

If we are talking this year I think you have to take the Blazers over the Wizards and really it shouldn't be that much of a decision.

Here's the breakdown. Wall is turning into a flat out stud plain and simple. But right now Lillard is clutch as all hell and has a killer outside game. They have slightly different roles where Wall is asked to create a little more and Lillard is able to look for his shot a lot more. I think they are about even but Lillard killer instinct is tough to top.

Now Matthews and Beal. Based purely off down the road potential it's Beal. I have loved this dude since his I saw him in college(and last year had a buddy who claimed 98% of NBA fans don't know who he is and he sucks). But if you are going to call Wes 1 dimensional that fits Beal far more. Bradley is hitting a ridiciulous 3pt% but his 2pt % is blahhh. Now Matthews is hitting on 40% 3s but also an excellent 59% 2's. This year more so Wes role is just to take more 3s.

Matthews averages about a point per game more right now being the THIRD option in the midst of getting to the free throw line less and making them at a far worse rate(that will continue to improve).

So based off numbers alone it is a draw or edge Wes slightly. Factor in defense and right now they are not close. Outside of Butler, Matthews is the best bet at lockdown D of all these players in discussion.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozen say hello

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I stopped reading after the first two questions. Posting up is a humungous part of both butler and thompsons game.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking this year I think you have to take the Blazers over the Wizards and really it shouldn't be that much of a decision.

Here's the breakdown. Wall is turning into a flat out stud plain and simple. But right now Lillard is clutch as all hell and has a killer outside game. They have slightly different roles where Wall is asked to create a little more and Lillard is able to look for his shot a lot more. I think they are about even but Lillard killer instinct is tough to top.

Now Matthews and Beal. Based purely off down the road potential it's Beal. I have loved this dude since his I saw him in college(and last year had a buddy who claimed 98% of NBA fans don't know who he is and he sucks). But if you are going to call Wes 1 dimensional that fits Beal far more. Bradley is hitting a ridiciulous 3pt% but his 2pt % is blahhh. Now Matthews is hitting on 40% 3s but also an excellent 59% 2's. This year more so Wes role is just to take more 3s.

Matthews averages about a point per game more right now being the THIRD option in the midst of getting to the free throw line less and making them at a far worse rate(that will continue to improve).

So based off numbers alone it is a draw or edge Wes slightly. Factor in defense and right now they are not close. Outside of Butler, Matthews is the best bet at lockdown D of all these players in discussion.

I understand your argument. I am a big fan of Lillards and think Matthews is very underrated as a two guard. Personally, I think it comes down to preference with the back courts of the blazers and wizards. You could almost rank them as 3a and 3b behind the bulls and warriors.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EZ steph and klay

Yeah, some teams have a guy as good as Steph, some have a guy as good as Klay. But I don't think anyone has 2 that are as good or better than Steph AND Klay.

Last edited by a moderator: