• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

belachick as good as guy lombardo (60's packers coach) ?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

The West Coast offense in no way resembles "Air Coryell". In fact, it's the polar opposite.
"Well, I just had to laugh..........."

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana as a starter in 1980 was 2-5. The following year, when Montana started the whole season, and SF won the Super Bowl? They replace 3/4 of their secondary - adding Pro Bowl/HOF-type guys like Ronnie Lott, Carlton Williamson and Eric Wright. They traded for HOF'er Fred Dean. They got Jack 'Hacksaw' Reynolds. They inserted Dwaine Board into the starting lineup.

SF isn't having a winning record, let alone make the playoffs/win the SB if the rest of those changes don't occur. The QB in that era simply doesn't make up anywhere near the difference that it does in today's game.
If I remember correctly, in 1980 the 49ers won there first three games, then lost 10 in a row and ended up winning their final 3. Montana's second year they started 1 and 2, then won 7 in a row before losing to the Browns and then won their final 8 culminating in a Super Bopwl win.
Great draft and free agent pick ups in '81. Fred Dean and 3/4s of the secondary.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the SB trophy is named after him I don’t think you needs to put “60’s Packers coach” in parentheses.

Props on spelling both coaches names completely wrong though. :thumb:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady’s success is more a product of Belichick. Not the other way around. If it takes less overall talent today, then that makes coaching even more important.

I don’t expect to change your mind. We can leave it at that.

Really ? You realize that Belichick has a record as an NFL coach without Brady, right ?... about 100 games worth. I'll let you look it up and get back to me about how great a coach he was without Brady.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really ? You realize that Belichick has a record as an NFL coach without Brady, right ?... about 100 games worth. I'll let you look it up and get back to me about how great a coach he was without Brady.

You do realize a coach can improve over time especially when it is his second stint, right? There's another coach from the late 90's who didn't do very well. He left to college and had huge success then came back to the NFL in 2010 and had huge success including a couple of SB appearances and a championship. I'll let you look it up and get back to me about how great a coach he was his first time around.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize a coach can improve over time especially when it is his second stint, right? There's another coach from the late 90's who didn't do very well. He left to college and had huge success then came back to the NFL in 2010 and had huge success including a couple of SB appearances and a championship. I'll let you look it up and get back to me about how great a coach he was his first time around.

I think Belichick is a great coach. But there's literally no concrete evidence that suggests that he made Brady and plenty that suggests that it was the other way around. I'm not suggesting that's the case ftr. I think Belichick is a great coach and I think that Brady is a great QB. You're the one who suggested one was a product of the other. That was a ridiculous assertion contradicted by all existing evidence.. as others in this thread have pointed out as well. In fact I was going too delete my comment when I realized how thoroughly it's been covered but it was too late.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have missed where the Packers had drafted before he was hired and Lombardi got rid of many of those bad draft picks.

Lombardi made changes once he got there after the draft with people be wanted he wasnt given shit. Then with his changes he takes a team from 1-10-1 to a 7-5 record the first winning record since 1947 and was awarded the NFL coach of the year in his first year as packers coach. Lombardi sent 16 players from the team he inherited out the door. Lombardi didnt get his ass fired by the first team that hired him as a head coach like Belichick did. Belichick started as a head coach in 1991 he inherited a Cleveland team with a 3-13 record which is better than what Lombardi inherited in the 1-10-1 team. In Belichicks first year he was not coach of the year and his team ended with a 6-10 record. Belichick sucked until he inherited the team in New England. Belichick started coaching in 1991 and it took him 10 years to win his first championship. Lombardi already had 5 in less years than it took Belichick to get his first.

Changes made by Lombardi after he inherited the team after the draft >>>

On February 4, 1959, Vince Lombardi seized his opportunity and began building his football dynasty in Green Bay. He arrived after both phases of the draft (December 1 and January 21),[1][2][3] and started by trading away the Packers' best receiver of the decade, Billy Howton, to the Cleveland Browns. To bring some much-needed leadership to the defensive backfield, Lombardi obtained future Hall of Famer Emlen Tunnell from the New York Giants. He also acquired Fuzzy Thurston from the Baltimore Colts and defensive tackle Henry Jordan from Cleveland by the start of training camp.

In all, 16 veterans from the previous season were sent packing as Lombardi installed a new attitude in the Packers' locker room.

BB got the Browns to 10 wins before the owner decided on the move to Baltimore making the entire team a lame duck operation and the wheels fell off. Also, Lombardi never once had to deal with getting his roster raided by the rest of the league after a great season nor did he ever hear of a salary cap in his lifetime.

Edge Belichick.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Nice try. Paul Brown's offense was hand it to Jim Brown.

Ken Anderson was handing it off to Jim Brown, eh?

Paul Brown didn't develop what we know as the WCO until the late 60's while he was coaching in Cincinnati and Jim Brown was retired and probably in jail for beating a woman.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Anderson was handing it off to Jim Brown, eh?

Paul Brown didn't develop what we know as the WCO until the late 60's while he was coaching in Cincinnati and Jim Brown was retired and probably in jail for beating a woman.
""With Bill Walsh as his quarterbacks coach, Anderson is one of the first quarterbacks to run what would become known as the "West Coast Offense."
Argument over now?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

The West Coast offense in no way resembles "Air Coryell". In fact, it's the polar opposite.
""There are two similar but distinct offensive strategic systems which are commonly referred to as "West Coast offenses". Originally the term referred to the Air Coryell system popularized by Don Coryell. However, following a journalistic error, it now more commonly refers to the offensive system devised by Bill Walsh while he was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals,"

Guess you lose, huh?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because you don't know what you're talking about. Paul Brown revolutionized the modern passing game. Bill Walsh was the wide receiver's coach at the time.
""There are two similar but distinct offensive strategic systems which are commonly referred to as "West Coast offenses". Originally the term referred to the Air Coryell system popularized by Don Coryell. However, following a journalistic error, it now more commonly refers to the offensive system devised by Bill Walsh while he was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals,""

Dang, the facts are just killing you, aren't they?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Belichick is a great coach. But there's literally no concrete evidence that suggests that he made Brady and plenty that suggests that it was the other way around. I'm not suggesting that's the case ftr. I think Belichick is a great coach and I think that Brady is a great QB. You're the one who suggested one was a product of the other. That was a ridiculous assertion contradicted by all existing evidence.. as others in this thread have pointed out as well. In fact I was going too delete my comment when I realized how thoroughly it's been covered but it was too late.
There's no concrete evidence either way. It's called an opinion. There's no solution that suggests anyone is right about who is the greatest coach of all time. I stated my opinion with conviction. You and others disagree. i doesn't mean I am wrong and you are right.

To say calling BB the greatest coach of all time is a ridiculous assertion is ignorant. 5 SB's, 8 appearances, etc. He is strongly in the conversation.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we ignore the fact that the Patriots have played in the weakest division in the last decade and a half. It is nice getting 5 to 6 power puff games a year.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""With Bill Walsh as his quarterbacks coach, Anderson is one of the first quarterbacks to run what would become known as the "West Coast Offense."
Argument over now?

I have a lot of respect for Bill Wlash, but he was the WR coach when Paul Brown developed the short passing game. Bill didn't innovate, he learned and tweaked an existing philosphy.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""There are two similar but distinct offensive strategic systems which are commonly referred to as "West Coast offenses". Originally the term referred to the Air Coryell system popularized by Don Coryell. However, following a journalistic error, it now more commonly refers to the offensive system devised by Bill Walsh while he was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals,""

Dang, the facts are just killing you, aren't they?

Bill Walsh was never the OC of the Bengals and as someone has already pointed out, the short passing WCO is diametrically opposed to the downfield "bombs away" Air Coryell offense.

How old are you? Do you even football, Bro?