• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears sign WR Josh Morgan

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. A vet with a lot of experience. He's another guy who can return kicks/punts as well. I definitely like this better than the Hixon signing. IMO, this is a legitimate option to replace Bennett if the coaching staff doesn't feel Wilson is ready. Morgan plays the same kind of game Bennett does, probably a little faster.

Josh Morgan NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Emery creating a competitive camp......not a bad idea Mr. EMERY.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah yes… what a typical post from you Leo.

Just like my description of you in the other thread. You drag on irrelevant arguments for months, and post in non-related threads, using any little tidbit of information that you can in order to spin things in the direction that suits you most properly.

It appears I was right.

:suds:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Camp fodder in my opinion, or Wilson isn't progressing as well as the Bears like... I wonder if Marshall is talking to Trestman and or Emery on what he's seeing down at his work out camp.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes… what a typical post from you Leo.

Just like my description of you in the other thread. You drag on irrelevant arguments for months, and post in non-related threads, using any little bit of information that you can in order to spin things in the direction that suits you most properly.

It appears I was right.

:suds:

If you say so.....no matter how it is spun...its still camp competition and thats a good thing in my opinion even if you don't agree with a camp full of competitive players. what can it hurt? Not A Damn thing...... Can't for the life of me understand why you are having a problem with this. Just think in a few weeks there will a bunch of new draft picks and undrated free agents....OH THE HORROR! !!!! LIGHTEN UP RICHig can only help the team:omg::wtf2::lol:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read on Hixon's previous team board (already forgot). He's more of a STs coverage guy than a returner.
Morgan's competition will come from Wilson and Williams. JMO.
The Bears lost Bowman, 1 of our gunners. Hixon has a chance to stick. If only for STs.
Just think if Williams shows anything on STs , Morgan will be the odd man out. I really can't see them cutting Wilson.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read on Hixon's previous team board (already forgot). He's more of a STs coverage guy than a returner.
Morgan's competition will come from Wilson and Williams. JMO.
The Bears lost Bowman, 1 of our gunners. Hixon has a chance to stick. If only for STs.
Just think if Williams shows anything on STs , Morgan will be the odd man out. I really can't see them cutting Wilson.

I can't see the Bears cutting Wilson either. He's shown too much upside as a WR. At 6'3 215, and with the athletic ability he's show. It's tough to justify cutting a player like that, unless he has a very poor showing in camp. In fact, I (and I'm sure many of you as well) expect Wilson to have some kind of a role on the Bears offense this season.

The prospect of having Cutler's four main targets being Marshall (6'5), Jeffery (6'3), Martellus (6'7), and Wilson (6'3) is pretty damn exciting to think about. After all of the years he was throwing to Hester, Knox, and Earl Bennett. Who are all under 6'0.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, Leo. This appears to be one of those moves made for competition as this guy appears to have something to offer. However, the fact remains that not all players signed are done for that reason alone- thats your disconnect.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The prospect of having Cutler's four main targets being Marshall (6'5), Jeffery (6'3), Martellus (6'7), and Wilson (6'3) is pretty damn exciting to think about. After all of the years he was throwing to Hester, Knox, and Earl Bennett. Who are all under 6'0.

Bennett is 6' 1".

Height in a WR is nice, but it certainly isn't everything. I would rather have Wes Welker than Wilson. But it will be interesting to see if he can play well enough to grab the #3 role.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As they say, size matters....

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Leo. This appears to be one of those moves made for competition as this guy appears to have something to offer. However, the fact remains that not all players signed are done for that reason alone- thats your disconnect.

I have no disconnect. ... I fully understand that some players are not signed for competition.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is 6' 1".

Height in a WR is nice, but it certainly isn't everything. I would rather have Wes Welker than Wilson. But it will be interesting to see if he can play well enough to grab the #3 role.

I always saw him listed as 6'0 and 6'1, but I never quite bought it. I stood about 5 feet away from him one day at camp in Bourbonais. I'm roughly 5'10 or 5'11. He looked about my height, and that was with cleets on.

Just my observation.

And yes, I agree height isn't anywhere near being everything. However, it does give an advantage, and the way Jay likes to sling the ball. Having as many WR's as you can with a big catch radius helps.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I always saw him listed as 6'0 and 6'1, but I never quite bought it. I stood about 5 feet away from him one day at camp in Bourbonais. I'm roughly 5'10 or 5'11. He looked about my height, and that was with cleets on.

Just my observation.

And yes, I agree height isn't anywhere near being everything. However, it does give an advantage, and the way Jay likes to sling the ball. Having as many WR's as you can with a big catch radius helps.

As a quarterback, Cutler's main virtue is arm strength. As such, the two most important qualities in a WR catching Cutler passes are: 1) hands (not dropping passes), and 2) ability to run deeper routes effectively to take advantage of arm strength. Yeah, sure, no question, it's always better to have guys that have other fine virtues of any generic wide receiver also, like catch radius. But there's nothing about Cutler that is uniquely catch-radius-specific. I'd actually say the opposite. If Cutler were a guy with accuracy issues, then all other things being equal, yeah, you'd want a bigger catch radius to reel in the inaccuracies. But I wouldn't call inaccuracy a Cutler problem.

I was actually thinking the other day about something....the Bears certainly are not playing a pure West Coast offense (or at least didn't last year). I mean, they showed some elements, but it certainly wasn't pure, particularly on the inside routes. Really, in a way, Mike Martz actually was the best fit for Cutler's unique natural talents (i.e. deep outside throws). It just didn't work because we didn't have the line to support it. Well, so last year we went in with a faster offense, and the line could support that. While some of that was speed, I think we also saw some material support in the O Line blocking. In other words, the slower-to-develop Martz-type offense probably would have had a better chance of working with last year's line. In a way, we are almost wasting the whole point of Cutler not using that system. If Wilson could be a good deep route runner, and Trestman adapts the offense a little more that way...or at least TRIES it....then I won't be crying about it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see the Bears cutting Wilson either. He's shown too much upside as a WR. At 6'3 215, and with the athletic ability he's show. It's tough to justify cutting a player like that, unless he has a very poor showing in camp. In fact, I (and I'm sure many of you as well) expect Wilson to have some kind of a role on the Bears offense this season.

Wilson is breaking out this year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a quarterback, Cutler's main virtue is arm strength. As such, the two most important qualities in a WR catching Cutler passes are: 1) hands (not dropping passes), and 2) ability to run deeper routes effectively to take advantage of arm strength. Yeah, sure, no question, it's always better to have guys that have other fine virtues of any generic wide receiver also, like catch radius. But there's nothing about Cutler that is uniquely catch-radius-specific. I'd actually say the opposite. If Cutler were a guy with accuracy issues, then all other things being equal, yeah, you'd want a bigger catch radius to reel in the inaccuracies. But I wouldn't call inaccuracy a Cutler problem.

I was actually thinking the other day about something....the Bears certainly are not playing a pure West Coast offense (or at least didn't last year). I mean, they showed some elements, but it certainly wasn't pure, particularly on the inside routes. Really, in a way, Mike Martz actually was the best fit for Cutler's unique natural talents (i.e. deep outside throws). It just didn't work because we didn't have the line to support it. Well, so last year we went in with a faster offense, and the line could support that. While some of that was speed, I think we also saw some material support in the O Line blocking. In other words, the slower-to-develop Martz-type offense probably would have had a better chance of working with last year's line. In a way, we are almost wasting the whole point of Cutler not using that system. If Wilson could be a good deep route runner, and Trestman adapts the offense a little more that way...or at least TRIES it....then I won't be crying about it.

I believe Trestman called it the "gulf coast" offense, which was some type of "west coast hybrid". I don't really remember the specifics.

But yes, I agree. I never disliked Martz's system, and actually thought he did a really good job here at the end of 2010, and really had the offense looking better than ever in 2011 before Cutler/Forte went down. It was a shame. I have nothing against Martz. I thought he did a fine job here. At times, we'd fall behind and things would get out of control early. He'd get extremely pass-happy. However, I believe that had a lot to do with the tools he was provided. He just didn't have what was necessary to run the offense he wanted.

And yeah, I understand what you're saying about Cutler. I've just always been more prone to the prototypical 6'3 220 wide receiver.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I believe Trestman called it the "gulf coast" offense, which was some type of "west coast hybrid". I don't really remember the specifics.

But yes, I agree. I never disliked Martz's system, and actually thought he did a really good job here at the end of 2010, and really had the offense looking better than ever in 2011 before Cutler/Forte went down. It was a shame. I have nothing against Martz. I thought he did a fine job here. At times, we'd fall behind and things would get out of control early. He'd get extremely pass-happy. However, I believe that had a lot to do with the tools he was provided. He just didn't have what was necessary to run the offense he wanted.

And yeah, I understand what you're saying about Cutler. I've just always been more prone to the prototypical 6'3 220 wide receiver.

gulf Coast = West Coast + more mid-range inside WR routes - less reliance on straight direct inside slants + more loose runs off tackle but not sweeps. The New Orleans offense, hence Gulf Coast. Relies more on interior o linemen than tackles.

I know Trestman said they would run that. I'm sure we read many of the same articles. I don't think they actually DID that though. Maybe a little, but not a lot. I think it was closer to West Coast than I expected. And they ran way more zone blocking runs than I expected also.

Hey, everyone loves big awesome wide receivers. Those mutants are one of the reasons we watch the NFL. No shit! Nothing to add or caveat. It's awesome!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems it takes a special receiver to catch Cutlers heavy ball. Bring them in and weed them out. We just hope the top 3 stay healthy and we rarely hear from 4 and 5.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems it takes a special receiver to catch Cutlers heavy ball. Bring them in and weed them out. We just hope the top 3 stay healthy and we rarely hear from 4 and 5.

:L

Your attempts to cut down Cutler are getting pathetic. He actually has fantastic touch. Do you even watch the offense when he's played?

LOL… Johnny Knox had a near 1,000 yard season under the guy, for chrissakes. Special?