• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Theory Question

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: Is drafting with a Franchise QB on the team - essentially different from drafting without an answer at QB?

My answer is it is very different.

When you have a top QB - it is no longer elementary roster building - when you have a top QB it is time to find answers to the secondary level questions - because a top quarterback automatically solves the elementary questions. When you have a top QB you start thinking what I can do to help my QB when the play breaks down? And - just coincidentally - your Top QB is actually famous for making big plays after a play breaks down. That's why you draft a guy like Dulcich - he is the kind of mortal that makes the bricks stand strong. What Dulcich who has good hands did better than any other TE in the country was he got yac yards. Here's a TE who walked on to UCLA with no stars and was an All American before he left - he's tough - he's a team player - and he will physically bruise the poor bastard who has to cover him. He becomes a nice option when Wilson has to break out of the pocket and look downfield. You can't have 4 and 5 guys all running long downfield on the same play.

How else can you help Wilson? You could improve on Special Teams. So why not draft a primary return man? Williams has an incredible sidestep move he can execute on a dime. But that's not all for Williams - he's got burst, gifted field vision, balance and burst. If the rest of the league is trying to out kick you with their punts - find a return guy and make them pay for overshooting the coverage. He had experience in college ball lining up as a slot - WR - or tailback - and his sub 4.4 speed will have to be accounted for if he's on the field so he can help out on offense too. Another piece of mortar for the roster - with a chip on his shoulder.

Now we come to the Olineman the Broncos traded up to get - Luke Wattenberg. Wattenberg's distinction is he is the only lineman in college football who played entire seasons at Tackle - Guard and Center. It's not a coincidence the Huskies play a lot of outside zone offense either. This guy is the ultimate mortar - an Olineman who can step in anywhere along the line and give a credible, decent performance. Russ Wilson sleep insurance.

What about Bonitto - Henningsen and Uwazurike? They are all considered too light for their position, but instead of heft they bring speed. If Wilson and the Bronco's offense is going to ring up points - you have to take steps to stop the other team from matching your points. Aaron Rogers and the Packer offense wasn't famous for 4th quarter comebacks - they were famous for scoring points early and often. If that is the offense being designed for Wilson - then the Broncos need to get after the QB with speed and quickness and from all along the front of the defense. The Broncos already have OLB's like Gregory and Chubb who can move inside and pass rush - they now have a pair of DEs who can pass rush from outside if need be. All three also have that - I've got something to prove about them too.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
peace of mind

anything in life changes when you have peace of mind

the end result is normally different with peace of mind

if i didn’t have to worry about rent or a mortgage changes how i approach a job search

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Wilson we could have secured lots and lots of draft capital to bolster team on the cheap for next few drafts. Less pressure on brand new staff to succeed year 1. Having Wilson solves QB spot only concern I have will he live up to PFM era of success or not be what we hoped. Plus AFC as a whole is miles better at QB vs 2012 going to be interesting to see what happens.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We either sink or swim, there are no more excuses

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
peace of mind

anything in life changes when you have peace of mind

the end result is normally different with peace of mind

if i didn’t have to worry about rent or a mortgage changes how i approach a job search

Valid