• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears extend Eddie Jackson

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 years at 33 million guaranteed

Now the highest paid safety in the league.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great move.

Yay for Bears.

Now find some f*cking offense.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I do have a question on this.....

"Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the deal includes $33 million in guaranteed money with $22 million fully guaranteed."

What's the difference between guaranteed and fully guaranteed, besides the obvious $11m? I've never seen where a contract contains two different types of guarantee.

selkies ftw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great move by the bears. Eddie Jackson is an absolute freak of nature back there at safety and absolutely deserved to be the highest paid.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I do have a question on this.....

"Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the deal includes $33 million in guaranteed money with $22 million fully guaranteed."

What's the difference between guaranteed and fully guaranteed, besides the obvious $11m? I've never seen where a contract contains two different types of guarantee.

Guaranteed money: Media outlets typically announce and talk about the "guaranteed money" in a player's contract. However, much of this money is only partially guaranteed. Compensation in NFL contracts can be guaranteed for three purposes: skill, cap and/or injury.

Compensation in a player contract can be guaranteed for one, two, all or none of the guarantees (subject to some rules). If money in a player contract is protected for skill, cap AND injury, that money is fully guaranteed at signing and will be paid to the player. If money is only guaranteed for one or two of the three protections, that money is only partially guaranteed.

Here is a quick breakdown of each guarantee category:

Skill guarantee: If a player contract is terminated because, in the team's opinion, he does not have the requisite skill (due to a loss or lack of skills comparable to others on the team at his position), the player will be entitled to any money that is protected by a skill guarantee.

Cap guarantee: If a player contract is terminated so that a team can get under the salary cap, sign a free agent or re-sign one of its current players, the player is entitled to any money that is protected by a cap guarantee.

Injury guarantee: If a player is released but is currently unable to perform football duties (i.e., doesn't pass a physical) as a result of team activities, the player is entitled to any money in his contract protected against injury. An injury-only guarantee is the most common in terms of partially guaranteed money.

Full guarantees (guaranteed at signing): Money is fully guaranteed at signing if it is guaranteed for skill, cap and injury purposes. Kirk Cousins' three-year, $84 million contract with the Vikings is guaranteed for skill, cap and injury.

Most fully guaranteed money: Matt Ryan ($94.5 million with the Falcons).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that's quite a breakdown. Great research, thanks for sharing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The restructure of Fuller's contract allowed this.

There's a couple other guys that are candidates for a restructure. We probably need to get on that if we're going to make any kind of a move in free agency to help the offense.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which doesn't start until 2021... His 2020 Salary is $700k and a cap hit of $900k... Then it hits the $14 mil mark per year...