• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith is soon to be gone, Kaep is a mobile QB who will likely get hit a bit, the 9ers need a good backup QB. Is Scott Tolzien good enough to be the main backup? Should the 9ers get a Veteran QB? Should they get a mobile QB so they don't have to change the offense? I like Matt Moore, but he may cost a bit. What do you think?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not Vick and you are ALWAYS in danger of losing the starter. I'm ok with Tolzien and a late rounder or even Josh Johnson if Harbaalke like him enough.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moore shouldn't be too expensive.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Is Scott Tolzien good enough to be the main backup?

Hell no.

I'm not a fan of going after a veteran QB to be the backup. The Niners need all the cap space they can get to use on things like a WR, K, DE, CB, etc. MAYBE Matt Moore, but drafting a QB is going to be cheaper & has more potential for the future.

The only 2 QBs I like, who should be available past round 2 IMO, are Tyler Bray & EJ Manuel. I just don't see many other viable options.

Even Tim Tebow would be better than Tolzien (if he weren't a travelling circus).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm good with a QB draft project, but hell no to the thought that Tebow is a better QB than any NFL QB.

Yes. Tebow can only make ANY team worse. He shouldn't even be in the league. Let him go get a reality TV show or something.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thread directly below this is jamarcus Russel wants to make a come back. Is this a sign?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith is soon to be gone, Kaep is a mobile QB who will likely get hit a bit, the 9ers need a good backup QB. Is Scott Tolzien good enough to be the main backup? Should the 9ers get a Veteran QB? Should they get a mobile QB so they don't have to change the offense? I like Matt Moore, but he may cost a bit. What do you think?

Scott performed just fine in his limited duty. Is he back-up worthy? Hell Yes! Is he back-up worthy in our system? Tough to say because we know nothing about him beyond what we saw in pre-season which, as I mentioned in my open, was just fine.

How he has progressed if he has at all is known only to the coaching staff and whether we will look for a QB that can run the RO is another factor to be considered. At this point I wouldn't be surprised with either keeping him or letting him go.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Didn't you contradict yourself?

No. Tebow might be slightly better than Tolzein in the Niners' offense, but the fact that he's a huge distraction takes away from any value he might have. And that value is EXTREMELY low anyway. Tebow is horrible, but at least he can run the ball well. Tolzein can't do anything; he's just not talented enough to be an NFL QB.

I agree with imac that NFL teams probably shouldn't even have 3 QBs on the roster. If 2 go down, they're screwed anwway. Are there extremely rare exceptions? Sure. Is that worth a roster spot? Nah.

It's Bray or EJ Manuel for me. Otherwise go with some crap bag like Rex Grossman or JP Losman or Saneca Wallace or Derek Anderson whoever. It wouldn't really matter that much IMO.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought tebow was gonna be the new pope?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if Baalke and Harbaugh identify good QB's, no doubt they'll TRY to get him. whether FA or draft, they know the importance of QB and it is priority 1. but we all know we don't have a high draft pick, nor a lot of cap room. so odds are we aren't getting a top prospect, nor top FA.

we should not view Kap as a running QB, he is a passing QB who happens to run well. he also happens to run the option well due to HIS college experience. the more important quality we want is passing skills, not running skills.

if our #2 QB can pass well, we don't need the option. if he can't pass well, we're screwed.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Baalke and Harbaugh identify good QB's, no doubt they'll TRY to get him. whether FA or draft, they know the importance of QB and it is priority 1. but we all know we don't have a high draft pick, nor a lot of cap room. so odds are we aren't getting a top prospect, nor top FA.

we should not view Kap as a running QB, he is a passing QB who happens to run well. he also happens to run the option well due to HIS college experience.

the more important quality we want is passing skills, not running skills. if our #2 QB can pass well, we don't need the option.

I agree with this, which is why I think Tolzien might be still in the conversation for our back-up

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Thinking out side the box here, so bare with me.

We always hear that the NFL is a copy cat league. With the recent success of the athletic muli-threat QB's, (Kaep, Wilson, RG III) I think we'll get a better value in the draft if we go after the prototypical pocket QB. In this draft, teams will overvalue QBs that are mobile. You always have to be one step ahead of your opponent. I'm not saying we should draft a statue. However, I think if there is a Matt Ryan/Flacco style of QB available we shouldn't pass on him just because he has a different skill set than Kaep. This coaching staff has shown it's ability to maximize the offense using the strengths of the personnel on the field. So lets not box ourselves into drafting another "Kaep" type of QB. Because lets face it, how man y 6'4'' rocket armed and fleet footed athletes with a wonderlic of 37 are going to be out there? Take the best QB prospect available at the pick that the team decides it is time to take a QB. We have that luxury now.

With an established big time qb we can afford to draft a backup and coach him up. If this potential backup gets some playing time and flashes, trade him for picks. Teams that have sustained success over extended periods of time have addressed needs before they become glaring needs. Through the draft, we can parlay a 3rd round back up QB into a 1st round pick. 20 teams would give up multiple first and second round picks for Kaep. For the lack of a better term, this is considered an equity gain. If we can continue to gain equity in our second string players while supplementing with fair priced free agents we can find the formula for sustained success.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe they thought he was the back up kicker or something...