• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So Tavaris Jackson, who would one of the worst QBs in the NFL if he were a starter, just signed for 1 year, 4.5 million dollars. This gives you an idea of how much a veteran backup QB is going to cost. If Jackson is worth 4.5 million, then Rex Grossman or Derek Anderson is worth at least 5. My point? No thank you Matt Moore. Maybe Bruce Gradkowski would be cheaper, but I can't imagine he'd be THAT much cheaper than Jackson.

This is why the Niners need to draft a QB this year. I really don't see any options better than Scott friggn' Tolzien than Tyler Bray & EJ Manuel. Maybe Landry Jones will fall to the 3rd or 4th rouund, but I doubt it. QBs are still ata premium.

Draft Tyler Bray or EJ Manuel.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So Tavaris Jackson, who would one of the worst QBs in the NFL if he were a starter, just signed for 1 year, 4.5 million dollars. This gives you an idea of how much a veteran backup QB is going to cost. If Jackson is worth 4.5 million, then Rex Grossman or Derek Anderson is worth at least 5. My point? No thank you Matt Moore. Maybe Bruce Gradkowski would be cheaper, but I can't imagine he'd be THAT much cheaper than Jackson.

This is why the Niners need to draft a QB this year. I really don't see any options better than Scott friggn' Tolzien than Tyler Bray & EJ Manuel. Maybe Landry Jones will fall to the 3rd or 4th rouund, but I doubt it. QBs are still ata premium.

That also helps ballpark the Alex Smith trade derby based on his $8.5 mil salary. $4.5 mil for that guy? He's one lucky SOB.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking out side the box here, so bare with me.

We always hear that the NFL is a copy cat league. With the recent success of the athletic muli-threat QB's, (Kaep, Wilson, RG III) I think we'll get a better value in the draft if we go after the prototypical pocket QB. In this draft, teams will overvalue QBs that are mobile. You always have to be one step ahead of your opponent. I'm not saying we should draft a statue. However, I think if there is a Matt Ryan/Flacco style of QB available we shouldn't pass on him just because he has a different skill set than Kaep. This coaching staff has shown it's ability to maximize the offense using the strengths of the personnel on the field. So lets not box ourselves into drafting another "Kaep" type of QB. Because lets face it, how man y 6'4'' rocket armed and fleet footed athletes with a wonderlic of 37 are going to be out there? Take the best QB prospect available at the pick that the team decides it is time to take a QB. We have that luxury now.

With an established big time qb we can afford to draft a backup and coach him up. If this potential backup gets some playing time and flashes, trade him for picks. Teams that have sustained success over extended periods of time have addressed needs before they become glaring needs. Through the draft, we can parlay a 3rd round back up QB into a 1st round pick. 20 teams would give up multiple first and second round picks for Kaep. For the lack of a better term, this is considered an equity gain. If we can continue to gain equity in our second string players while supplementing with fair priced free agents we can find the formula for sustained success.

I like your thinking.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like EJ Manuel from I've seen of him so far. I don't know Tyler Bray.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Tavaris Jackson, who would one of the worst QBs in the NFL if he were a starter, just signed for 1 year, 4.5 million dollars. This gives you an idea of how much a veteran backup QB is going to cost. If Jackson is worth 4.5 million, then Rex Grossman or Derek Anderson is worth at least 5. My point? No thank you Matt Moore.

That also helps ballpark the Alex Smith trade derby based on his $8.5 mil salary. $4.5 mil for that guy? He's one lucky SOB.

If 4.5 was the amount it took to get our backup, would you just assume keep Smith as emergency if Kaep gets hurt or is that 4 million extra too much? I assume the cut Smith for the 8.5 either means go with Tolzien or get a backup for < 4.5. If it were set at 4.5, does that change things (assuming we don't stick with Tolzien or draft a QB, which we might). And this question is for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If 4.5 was the amount it took to get our backup, would you just assume keep Smith as emergency if Kaep gets hurt or is that 4 million extra too much?

Hell yes it's too much. I'd go with a rookie as the backup. I have my eye on Tyler Bray or EJ Manuel, but if the Niners don't draft a QB then Tolzien will probably be the backup. And then we'd better pray Kaep doesn't get hurt.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes it's too much. I'd go with a rookie as the backup. I have my eye on Tyler Bray or EJ Manuel, but if the Niners don't draft a QB then Tolzien will probably be the backup. And then we'd better pray Kaep doesn't get hurt.

Thanks. So the priority to this hypothetical would be:

1. Draft Bray or Manuel.
2. Stick with Tolzien.
3. Sign a 4.5 million backup (hypothetical posed).
4. Keep Smith as backup at 8.5 (restructure to lower is not an option, IMO).

Obviously, a cheaper backup could change this.

The Bills are AWFUL in their contracts for QBs. If there was anyone to give Alex a big contract as a released FA or trade for a ransom, it'd be them or the Raiders. The extension that NY Jets gave Sanchez was an awful move, too. They could have extended him later if they wanted him, there seemed to be too much early. It at least appears to save them from giving Alex a bigger contract than he should get, but now they are stuck with Sanchez who has NO incentive to restructure and can't be traded. 17 million cap hit if traded or cut, or just if cut?

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the backup comes in, the season is over. Pay whoever that is a bag of peanuts. Unroasted.

Sign me, then. I can end the season as badly as anyone else could. I mean, if we're not going to win the SB with the backup and Kaep gets injured, we might as well go for the best draft pick.

We couldn't have Clyde take over, he'd have too many intangibles to get us a good pick, and he'd probably want the peanuts roasted.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign me, then. I can end the season as badly as anyone else could. I mean, if we're not going to win the SB with the backup and Kaep gets injured, we might as well go for the best draft pick.

We couldn't have Clyde take over, he'd have too many intangibles to get us a good pick, and he'd probably want the peanuts roasted.

I'd command more than an empty bag of doritos.

But only barely. I'm way past my prime.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd command more than an empty bag of doritos.

But only barely. I'm way past my prime.

I'd command nothing. I'd pay them a dollar for every snap I took, minus 100 for every time I was hit, regardless of being sacked or not. And trust me, I wouldn't be trying to get money because I'd be trying to avoid any hit I could. I mean, I wouldn't play football for my health.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be FAR more concerned if we drafted Bray or Manuel and Kaep got hurt then if Tolzien was our backup. Tolzien is an enigma because of his limited time on the field but he would at least know the offense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be FAR more concerned if we drafted Bray or Manuel and Kaep got hurt then if Tolzien was our backup. Tolzien is an enigma because of his limited time on the field but he would at least know the offense.

We could have the depth chart be as follows: Kaep, Tolzien, Bray/Manuel. We could develop Bray/Manuel and not need Tolzien the following year if Tolzien is passed up. We have so many draft picks and the QB spot, with Alex gone would be so low.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's makes him a better RB, not QB. From the limited data, I'd say Tolzien is at least Shaun Hill-esque.

If I had to pick a category for Tolzien, Hill would be that category for me as well.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great minds, brother...great minds. ;)

Amen to that! Honestly, Mem, if we started 2013 with Kaepernick & Tolzien and perhaps a deep draft or undrafted developmental prospect of Harbaugh's choosing, that would be just fine with me.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen to that! Honestly, Mem, if we started 2013 with Kaepernick & Tolzien and perhaps a deep draft or undrafted developmental prospect of Harbaugh's choosing, that would be just fine with me.

Added benefit from that strategy is that the prospect could probably be kept on the PS and save us a roster spot.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added benefit from that strategy is that the prospect could probably be kept on the PS and save us a roster spot.

What was it you said a few posts up? Brother Mem, I do believe this problem is now solved ;)