• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Added benefit from that strategy is that the prospect could probably be kept on the PS and save us a roster spot.

Ihave trouble seeing either Bray or Manuel surviving the season on the PS.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just got an idea - what about drafting Denard Robinson as a WR prospect, and then use him as an emergency QB? He's a terrible QB, but would save us a roster spot. He's got the athleticism to be a pretty decent mid-round WR if he panned out, and we'd get to see some trick plays out of him too.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just got an idea - what about drafting Denard Robinson as a WR prospect, and then use him as an emergency QB? He's a terrible QB, but would save us a roster spot. He's got the athleticism to be a pretty decent mid-round WR if he panned out, and we'd get to see some trick plays out of him too.

I'm okay with the idea of drafting Robinson in the 4th or 5th as a Randall Cobb/Percy Harvin type.

All the Senior Bowl reports said he was struggling with the transition to WR, but was working his ass off to learn the position. If he can apply his quickness and athleticism to WR, he could be a serious weapon (he would be a bit of a passing threat, and is a threat as a RB although he wouldn't be able to take the pounding of being back there full time.

However, I don't like the idea of drafting him because he could be an emergency QB. I find the idea of carrying 3 QBs on the roster to be a little ridiculous anyway. Check that, a lot ridiculous.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaun Hill was horrible too.

Shaun Hill is a horrible full time starter. He's a pretty decent back up that can win you a couple if the starter gets banged up. I have no delusions that we can carry a 2nd stringer that could fill in without a significant drop-off from Kaep.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with the idea of drafting Robinson in the 4th or 5th as a Randall Cobb/Percy Harvin type.

All the Senior Bowl reports said he was struggling with the transition to WR, but was working his ass off to learn the position. If he can apply his quickness and athleticism to WR, he could be a serious weapon (he would be a bit of a passing threat, and is a threat as a RB although he wouldn't be able to take the pounding of being back there full time.

However, I don't like the idea of drafting him because he could be an emergency QB. I find the idea of carrying 3 QBs on the roster to be a little ridiculous anyway. Check that, a lot ridiculous.

If he was a threat as a WR, there wouldn't be a 3rd QB of the 46. But if he's not much of a WR, I agree with you that it'd be ridiculous to draft him because of his passing ability.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ideally we'd like to trade Alex Smith for a 3rd round pick and then use that pick for his replacement! I think that would be an excellent plan! Get it done Trent!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ideally we'd like to trade Alex Smith for a 3rd round pick and then use that pick for his replacement! I think that would be an excellent plan! Get it done Trent!

or use it on gore's eventual replacement

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As long as we're talking ideally, we'd like to restructure Alex's deal to 8 years, 2 million per year team option and trade Tolzien for 2 first round picks, this year or next year. ;) (I only say 8 years because of his 17 million left for two years/2 million round down.)

Not funny.

head down.jpg

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Shaun Hill is a horrible full time starter. He's a pretty decent back up that can win you a couple if the starter gets banged up. I have no delusions that we can carry a 2nd stringer that could fill in without a significant drop-off from Kaep.

Then by that rationale, Tebow ia a decent backup too. He filled in towards the end of the year in '11 and won a lot of games.

Yes, I agree that Hill is a better QB than Tim Tebow, but not by much.

I guess this comes down to how bad Tolzien is. If he's the backup this year, I'm not going to make a huge deal about it. But eventually, the Niners need to find a mid-to-late round QB to develop behind Kaep. I have my eye on EJ Manuel & Tyler Bray, but if they have to wait 'til next year to develop a guy that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Eitehr way, I don't want to pay some vet' 4 million dollars.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then by that rationale, Tebow ia a decent backup too. He filled in towards the end of the year in '11 and won a lot of games.

Yes, I agree that Hill is a better QB than Tim Tebow, but not by much.

I guess this comes down to how bad Tolzien is. If he's the backup this year, I'm not going to make a huge deal about it. But eventually, the Niners need to find a mid-to-late round QB to develop behind Kaep. I have my eye on EJ Manuel & Tyler Bray, but if they have to wait 'til next year to develop a guy that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Eitehr way, I don't want to pay some vet' 4 million dollars.

Hill> Tolzien>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tebow.

I more or less agree with the rest of your post. I don't think anyone looks at Tolzien like he's Steve Young on the bench but we don't need to "force the issue" if the pick is not there. On the other hand, I NEVER want Tebow on my team.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill> Tolzien>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tebow.

I more or less agree with the rest of your post. I don't think anyone looks at Tolzien like he's Steve Young on the bench but we don't need to "force the issue" if the pick is not there. On the other hand, I NEVER want Tebow on my team.

You full command of this situation! This is exactly correct!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You full command of this situation! This is exactly correct!

I think Sick agrees, too. He's just caught up with wanting to having every contingency in place to get the Lombardi next year. Unfortunately, with the cap every team will have a thin spot or two. You do the best you can personell-wise and hope for a little luck.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sick agrees, too. He's just caught up with wanting to having every contingency in place to get the Lombardi next year. Unfortunately, with the cap every team will have a thin spot or two. You do the best you can personell-wise and hope for a little luck and a shitload of poor officiating.

Oooo, you almost had this 100% correct - No worries, I fixed it for ya! Bem is here for his brother Mem!