• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
given that we run the read option and should depend on kap's legs, we might need to spend more on a vet back up.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
given that we run the read option and should depend on kap's legs, we might need to spend more on a vet back up.

This has been a bit debunked. Kaep (so far) hasn't taken more hits than pocket QB's with limited mobility. He protects himself well.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been a bit debunked. Kaep (so far) hasn't taken more hits than pocket QB's with limited mobility. He protects himself well.

well u never know when he's going to get banged up. if he has a 'sophmore' slump next year in regards to passing it could expose him more in the run game.

i would consider moore at say 4 mil as an insurance policy. one or two games without kap could mean the difference between getting a bye or not.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well u never know when he's going to get banged up. if he has a 'sophmore' slump next year in regards to passing it could expose him more in the run game.

i would consider moore at say 4 mil as an insurance policy. one or two games without kap could mean the difference between getting a bye or not.

I don't want to spend $4M on a back-up and I don't want a 'bye week' next year - 6 of the last 8 SB losers had a bye week. ;)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want to spend $4M on a back-up and I don't want a 'bye week' next year - 6 of the last 8 SB losers had a bye week. ;)

yep, on one hand we can't afford $4M on a back-up QB.

but on the other, this team is built for now and should Kap go down (not only from the read option), we can't "collapse". if there is a decent back-up that suits our team, i'd make an effort to sign him. not force it, but offer more money than i'd normally, RELATIVE to his talent.

else, i'd see what the draft offers, and it doesn't have to be day 1 nor day 2.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but on the other, this team is built for now and should Kap go down (not only from the read option), we can't "collapse". if there is a decent back-up that suits our team, i'd make an effort to sign him. not force it, but offer more money than i'd normally, RELATIVE to his talent.

Not saying that your scenario is not possible but has anyone looked at the QB depth chart of say the Packers, Falcons, Pats, Ravens, Broncos? The Texans are about the only contender that know what they have at back-up and it's not a high priced vet.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I completely understand the bet you're trying to hedge Deep. I'm leaning more toward going inexpensive (as opposed to cheap) on the back-up QB and directing the savings toward providing depth elsewhere. It's a tough call. I can't wait to see how Baalke plays it.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best VALUE (as Deep constantly harps on) is to allow Tolzien continue to be the backup and draft a late round project. Tolzien in inexpensive, is VERY accurate with a quick release, and has a two year knowledge of our offense. He may not be Kaep's clone, but really, who is? I don't care what Sick says, Tolzien is our best option at backup QB for this year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't care what Sick says, Tolzien is our best option at backup QB for this year.

You don't understand. I actually agree with this. The reason I want the Niners to draft a QB is because I don't think Tolzien is a very good option as a backup for the long term. But either Tolzien or a rookie QB are both better options than signing a veteran backup because of how much money they cost.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't understand. I actually agree with this. The reason I want the Niners to draft a QB is because I don't think Tolzien is a very good option as a backup for the long term. But either Tolzien or a rookie QB are both better options than signing a veteran backup because of how much money they cost.

I also don't see the need to draft a QB in the first 4 rounds at ALL, something that you don't agree with given your willingness to spend a 2nd or 3rd on a Bray or Manuel. I don't think that is a smart investment. If there is a 1st or 2nd round grade on a QB like the Redskins had last yr on Cousins, then sure, draft a QB at the back end of the 4th, but that is really the only exception in my mind.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I also don't see the need to draft a QB in the first 4 rounds at ALL, something that you don't agree with given your willingness to spend a 2nd or 3rd on a Bray or Manuel. I don't think that is a smart investment. If there is a 1st or 2nd round grade on a QB like the Redskins had last yr on Cousins, then sure, draft a QB at the back end of the 4th, but that is really the only exception in my mind.

If there were a QB prospect I liked in the later rounds, I'd agree with you. But Bray & Manuel are the only 2 QBs I think are significantly better prospects than Tolzien. If the Niners don't get one of them, I say stick w/ Tolzien.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I completely understand the bet you're trying to hedge Deep. I'm leaning more toward going inexpensive (as opposed to cheap) on the back-up QB and directing the savings toward providing depth elsewhere. It's a tough call. I can't wait to see how Baalke plays it.

yep, no doubt a tough call with us being up against the cap.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If there were a QB prospect I liked in the later rounds, I'd agree with you. But Bray & Manuel are the only 2 QBs I think are significantly better prospects than Tolzien. If the Niners don't get one of them, I say stick w/ Tolzien.

i'm confident our organization will find the best back-up QB they can. it likely won't be a big name FA, nor big name prospect, but we shouldn't expect big names anyway.

regarding Bray and Manuel, maybe and maybe not? Tolzien wasn't drafted (i think?) but Harbaugh liked him, so there might be someone in the later rounds who by that time....has value? obviously, he won't be a highly rated prospect, but we're not expecting All Pro starter in the late rounds.......shouldn't anyway.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we'll have to see who's available as well. i'd have to force a qb pick in the first 4 rounds this year, especially for guys like bray or manuel.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
at least we're talking back-up QB, as opposed to starting QB. wasn't too long ago when we were wondering how to replace Alex Smith? this was right before Kap got drafted, and before we knew what Kap could do.