• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

b10 rivals

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just don't get it...
We don't need a trophy for the game between the Buckeyes and scUM to be the biggest and best rivalry in college sports. No trophy needed to be great. No I don't get it.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All trophy games are retarded. Who cares.

I would think first is obviously scUM, but with recent games I think Wisky might be #2 just due to competition. I cant think of any other team that really matters to this Buckeye fan.

Competition? Have you LOOKED at Ohio State's record against Wisconsin all time / the past 20 ... 10 ... 5 years?
Rivalries aren't created by the fans over a span of recent years, they happen over long periods of time which are infused with tradition.

Otherwise the top programs in every conference would consider each other rivals ... for the sake of "competition". Illinois is Ohio State's oldest rivalry, and while many fans might not care ... I assure you the TEAM and STUDENTS involved in that trophy game do.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Competition? Have you LOOKED at Ohio State's record against Wisconsin all time / the past 20 ... 10 ... 5 years?
Rivalries aren't created by the fans over a span of recent years, they happen over long periods of time which are infused with tradition.

Otherwise the top programs in every conference would consider each other rivals ... for the sake of "competition". Illinois is Ohio State's oldest rivalry, and while many fans might not care ... I assure you the TEAM and STUDENTS involved in that trophy game do.
I bolded the important parts for you. Other top programs in every conference DO consider each other rivals when there is recent competition.

No most fans do not care about the trophy and guess what makes the Buckeye and scUM rivalry so great...Ill give you a hint it starts with F and rhymes with FANS.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at the scores of the games from the last 10 years and say the uw Ohio series hasn't been competitive....you'd be insane to say so otherwise.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 3 rivals setup only caused more issues with scheduling so i went back to two.

but i think i did a pretty good job getting them to fit. the only real eye popper is partnering up MSU & iowa for the final game of the season each year. but considering that msu's #1 rival already has a rival & iowa's #1 rival is out of state there really wasnt much i could do about that.

guess its time to move onto the sec & acc which is gonna be even harder cuz of the ooc rivalries that need to be worked in

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about the scores of the game .... this supposed "rivaly" has been just as lopsided as any other B1G team Ohio State plays. If Wisconsin actually had a winning streak against Ohio State you might have a point. But they don't ...

Consider a team that has less than a 30% winning percentage against Ohio State? A team with absolutely no tradition or history with Ohio State? A rival? "But hey, they've had some close games ... so they MUST be a rivalry!" I don't think so.

And no, the top programs in every conference don't consider themselves rivals. Again, there is more substance to a rivalry outside of "Hey! You're a good team ... we're a good team ... let's call ourselves rivals!"

And please spare me the idea that the only reason Ohio State and Michigan are rivals is because of the fans. Really? Had nothing to do with fighting over recruits? Had nothing to do with both teams ruining each others championship hopes many of occasions? Nothing to do with the legendary coaches from both teams that uplifted this game into the rivalry it is today?

Fact is, if it wasn't for the Ohio recruiting battles of the past ... or the ruined seasons ... or the speeches from past coaches ... or the Woody and Bo era ... the fans would have nothing to point at.

Rivalries are about HISTORY and TRADITION. Fans are just there for the ride. It's not like rival fan bases woke up one morning and decided to dislike each other. No, they were conditioned to feel that way based on past events that happened outside of any and all fandom.

Last edited by a moderator:

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you got mostly meaningless long term rivalries...since whenever.
you got somewhat relevant short term rivalries...say, the last 10 years...and
you got the most recent meeting...ie: OWNERSHIP

personally, I prefer to angst the present rather than the past...could care less who considers whom a rival or not...all that matters is who 'owns' who going into the next contest.

good luck with your project.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about the scores of the game .... this supposed "rivaly" has been just as lopsided as any other B1G team Ohio State plays. If Wisconsin actually had a winning streak against Ohio State you might have a point. But they don't ...

Consider a team that has less than a 30% winning percentage against Ohio State? A team with absolutely no tradition or history with Ohio State? A rival? "But hey, they've had some close games ... so they MUST be a rivalry!" I don't think so.

And no, the top programs in every conference don't consider themselves rivals. Again, there is more substance to a rivalry outside of "Hey! You're a good team ... we're a good team ... let's call ourselves rivals!"

And please spare me the idea that the only reason Ohio State and Michigan are rivals is because of the fans. Really? Had nothing to do with fighting over recruits? Had nothing to do with both teams ruining each others championship hopes many of occasions? Nothing to do with the legendary coaches from both teams that uplifted this game into the rivalry it is today?

Fact is, if it wasn't for the Ohio recruiting battles of the past ... or the ruined seasons ... or the speeches from past coaches ... or the Woody and Bo era ... the fans would have nothing to point at.

Rivalries are about HISTORY and TRADITION. Fans are just there for the ride. It's not like rival fan bases woke up one morning and decided to dislike each other. No, they were conditioned to feel that way based on past events that happened outside of any and all fandom.

Shit, Only thing I've said here was Ohio would be our fourth top rival. I'm was just postin towards the post that said haven't been competitive. Is there another team that has as many wins against Ohio since 2000?

You need to take a deep breath and take that corncob out of your ass lmao...

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalries can develop as well. College football isn't static. I wouldn't quite call Ohio State and Wisconsin rivals yet, but Wisconsin has ruined your national title hopes at least once in the past decade (2010, and maybe 2003 but you lost to UM later that year as well). And you may have ruined ours in 2011 (one loss Wisconsin with its only loss a Hail Mary vs MSU probably goes over an SEC rematch). Basketball has been competitive as well. Most Ohio State fans I know put Wisconsin second to Michigan recently... a distant second, but still.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all those wondering, Herbie just asked Desmond Howard about the "little brown jug" and Howard said he didn't even know it was in the locker room. He had not clue about any trophy because it didn't matter.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's exactly my point. Wisconsin and Minnesota have tons of tradition, but the rivalry sucks because Minnesota sucks.

Obviously a rivalry with history that's also competive is best, but if it's one or the other, competitiveness is more important than history.