• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Assistant Cory Davis gave money to Clinton-Dix

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the coach will likely get hit with a show-cause.

filupsun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they were all dealt with properly is the kicker.

If this was something Alabama let happen and did nothing about, didn't report it, didn't deal with it properly, I would totally agree with you. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Saban is so strict on this stuff and has no problem sitting or removing an ineligible player. If Alabama gets in trouble, then all schools need to be worried.

I hear bama fans saying this all the time. saben runs such a tight ship and he knows what his players and coaches are up to. Yeah right! If saben is so good at following rules and administrating punishment how come theres always questions about players and shady shenanigans?

Twice in what barely a month stories have surfaced about players taking money, that is never a good thing. I was always taught where theres smoke the will be fire big or small. The smoke was enough to warrant the press snooping around the campus and that’s just, well not good and its only a matter of time.

With all of the scrutiny the ncaa is under right now I would not to be in any programs shoes with situations like this on my teams campus. I firmly believe the ncaa is looking for a shot at redemption it is a business after all.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear bama fans saying this all the time. saben runs such a tight ship and he knows what his players and coaches are up to. Yeah right! If saben is so good at following rules and administrating punishment how come theres always questions about players and shady shenanigans?

Twice in what barely a month stories have surfaced about players taking money, that is never a good thing. I was always taught where theres smoke the will be fire big or small. The smoke was enough to warrant the press snooping around the campus and that’s just, well not good and its only a matter of time.

With all of the scrutiny the ncaa is under right now I would not to be in any programs shoes with situations like this on my teams campus. I firmly believe the ncaa is looking for a shot at redemption it is a business after all.

So by this diatribe you posted, you believe that Alabama is the only school that is guilty of such acts apparently. The situations that have allegedly happened at Alabama recently are situations that happen at every school, but for two reasons it gets reported at Alabama. The first is that they are currently on top and everyone wants to take down the leader of the pack, if human nature. The second is they have a coach who is a strict disciplinarian and wont coverup a damn thing to save a few players or keep a season intact. Dont believe this, fine, do your own research on the times Saban has suspended players for acts over his tenure at Alabama and you will see, he does the right thing.

If you dont hear about it at ND, that says volumes about your coach and the Administration that is currently in charge. Strangely we hear of players with fake girlfriends, players getting away with r*pe, players who are not able to pass their courses and cheating to do so, but the administration has done nothing in any of these cases except one. What else is going on they are not telling people about?

My take on this is you should hope for a coach who will stand in the face of adversity(the NCAA punishments) and still report the kid for wrongdoing, but instead you bash the one who does it and applaud the ones who arent, even though this goes on in many places yearly. I personally know a Doctor who is a booster of a Big 12 school who talks about the money handshakes all the time, but this never happens anywhere but Alabama according to you.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coach broke the rules, but he did the right thing. It was a humanitarian act on his part. The kid needed some cash because his got stolen and he was out of meth. He was going through withdrawals and the coach saw how it was affecting him. The kid was probably on the edge of going out and committing a robbery to get his fix, so the coach stepped up, helping not just the kid but the potential victim also. He deserves leniency in this case.
I can't believe you guys are still arguing about this 300+ posts in. Obvious anti-SEC bias here.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coach broke the rules, but he did the right thing. It was a humanitarian act on his part. The kid needed some cash because his got stolen and he was out of meth. He was going through withdrawals and the coach saw how it was affecting him. The kid was probably on the edge of going out and committing a robbery to get his fix, so the coach stepped up, helping not just the kid but the potential victim also. He deserves leniency in this case.
I can't believe you guys are still arguing about this 300+ posts in. Obvious anti-SEC bias here.

I heard his meth dealer was Stephen Garcia, who incidentally is also the suspect in the car break-in.:lol:

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard his meth dealer was Stephen Garcia, who incidentally is also the suspect in the car break-in.:lol:

Well, the deal is that HaHa had gotten a batch from Garcia on the front and was late with the payment, so Garcia sent someone to break in the car. Garcia DID NOT break in the car himself, that's total bullshit.
And if HaHa had just paid on time then none of this would have happened. Still, I can't fault the coach for helping a kid in need.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

To me. The most important line in the story and the one thing Bama fans should worry about.

Predicting the actions of the ever-unpredictable NCAA is always fraught with danger.

I personally would agree with some of you that it wasn't that big of a deal, that Bama took care of business themselves, the player and coach have been suspended and it should be over with.

But I, for one, have been watching the NCAA a long time and have seen some head scratchers from them before.

This would also make me nervous were I an Alabama fan.

Entire basketball seasons have been vacated for as much, and that's when the NCAA ruled no one at the school knew anything.

Memphis basketball saw a national runner-up basketball season get wiped out for playing an ineligible player the NCAA itself twice ruled eligible.

And, no, Bama, this is not a hate Bama, bash Bama, or hope Bama gets in trouble post.

This is to remind you guys of exactly what idiotic organization will decide the fate of your football team.

The NCAA.

Or, as the Boz once called them, National Communists Against Athletes.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by this diatribe you posted, you believe that Alabama is the only school that is guilty of such acts apparently. The situations that have allegedly happened at Alabama recently are situations that happen at every school, but for two reasons it gets reported at Alabama. The first is that they are currently on top and everyone wants to take down the leader of the pack, if human nature. The second is they have a coach who is a strict disciplinarian and wont coverup a damn thing to save a few players or keep a season intact. Dont believe this, fine, do your own research on the times Saban has suspended players for acts over his tenure at Alabama and you will see, he does the right thing.

If you dont hear about it at ND, that says volumes about your coach and the Administration that is currently in charge. Strangely we hear of players with fake girlfriends, players getting away with r*pe, players who are not able to pass their courses and cheating to do so, but the administration has done nothing in any of these cases except one. What else is going on they are not telling people about?

My take on this is you should hope for a coach who will stand in the face of adversity(the NCAA punishments) and still report the kid for wrongdoing, but instead you bash the one who does it and applaud the ones who arent, even though this goes on in many places yearly. I personally know a Doctor who is a booster of a Big 12 school who talks about the money handshakes all the time, but this never happens anywhere but Alabama according to you.

You are being very defensive ... what the ND fan says is correct. It isn't anti-Bama ... when the NCAA smells smoke, they are going to check out whether there is fire. With two such events, one involving an agent, the other a staff member, happening this close together they have to look into so they don't look as if they are playing favorites. I know yo guys think that Saban is such a rock hard disciplinarian, that these things can't happen on his watch. But, they have happened (assuming all is true that has been reported, and I am open to it not having happened). And, even if he has no knowledge, a continuing series of these events will get the school in trouble. The school can keep saying we are doing everything we can do, but if the players aren't listening, the NCAA will do something at some point.

Mark Bradley of the AJC has an interesting article on this:

Matt Scalici of Al.com reports: "At least two NCAA bylaw experts say any potential penalties Alabama safety HaHa Clinton-Dix faces won't likely be far-reaching."

But here we ask: How far-reaching does a penalty need to be if the NCAA determines that Clinton-Dix should have been ruled ineligible before this week? The same NCAA decided that Georgia Tech should have withheld Demaryius Thomas from three games at the end of the 2009 season, and the one game of those three that Tech won -- the ACC championship over Clemson -- was forfeited and the title vacated.

If the NCAA can prove Alabama knew a month ago that Clinton-Dix might have taken money from Harris, Alabama's victories over Texas A&M and Ole Miss could be subject to forfeit. If the NCAA can prove such a case before Dec. 7 -- the date of the SEC championship in the Dome -- the team everyone expects to represent the SEC West mightn't be allowed to represent the SEC West.

(It would be just like the NCAA to make Alabama forfeit a game in which A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel was allowed to participate -- two weeks after serving his 30-minute suspension against Rice.)

As the Tech-Thomas case proved, the NCAA comes down hardest on schools that allow a player whose eligibility is in question to play. (That's why Georgia held out A.J. Green for the first game of the 2010 season even though the NCAA hadn't ruled yet.) So far, nothing suggests that Alabama knew or should have known anything about Clinton-Dix before this week -- but you never know what will happen if the NCAA comes sniffing.

And this case has the potential to be messier than the typical player-takes-money-from-agent stuff. This is player-takes-money-from-a-staffer. Scalici quotes John Infante, a former compliance official, as saying:

"From the coach's perspective, it sounds like a mini-John Blake."

John Blake was the assistant coach on Butch Davis' North Carolina staff who was proved to have accepted money from agents to act as a conduit. Blake was subsequently assessed a three-year show-cause penalty by the NCAA, which is serious stuff. (It means any school seeking to hire Blake over those three years would have to show cause why he should be allowed to resume coaching at an NCAA member institution.)

The Blake case helped bring down the Davis regime in Chapel Hill. Nothing suggests that matters in Tuscaloosa are nearly so widespread, but we say again: When the NCAA comes calling, anything can happen. Ask Georgia Tech. A $312 gift of clothing -- clothing later returned, by the way -- made a championship vanish.

As you might know, Alabama plays Georgia State on Saturday. Is Clinton-Dix's suspension the break the 0-4 Panthers required?

Yes, yes. I'm kidding.

Trouble in paradise? Bama puts assistant on leave | Mark Bradley | www.ajc.com

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are being very defensive ... what the ND fan says is correct. It isn't anti-Bama ... when the NCAA smells smoke, they are going to check out whether there is fire. With two such events, one involving an agent, the other a staff member, happening this close together they have to look into so they don't look as if they are playing favorites. I know yo guys think that Saban is such a rock hard disciplinarian, that these things can't happen on his watch. But, they have happened (assuming all is true that has been reported, and I am open to it not having happened). And, even if he has no knowledge, a continuing series of these events will get the school in trouble. The school can keep saying we are doing everything we can do, but if the players aren't listening, the NCAA will do something at some point.

Mark Bradley of the AJC has an interesting article on this:

Trouble in paradise? Bama puts assistant on leave | Mark Bradley | www.ajc.com

I may have been a bit rough on him, but its the internet, either get thicker skin or dont post is my motto. My comments are not out of line in the context of what is known at this time. We know it was less than $300 dollars that was borrowed(according to more than one source) and that it was repaid before the first game. In the article you posted it talks of AJ Green, but Fails to mention that his suspension was not one game(like in the article) but I believe 4 games and that Marcel Dareus of Alabama was also held out of two games the same year due to a similar situation. Now my question is this, If Saban is willing to do the right thing in that situation and a couple of others that i have not mentioned here, why would he bend the rules for this one? No different in that the team is vying for a title and clearly they could have won without Dix in the first two games of this year or even a loss doesnt put them out of contention early in the year. People that are on the outside dont see that Saban is a disciplinarian and that is why we dont feel this will be more than a suspension offense and the coach may get a slight show cause for his actions. I think Sabans record speaks for itself on the discipline issues, but to each his own, if you or anyone doesnt feel that way, clearly they are not paying attention.

As for the incident a few weeks ago, we have not heard anything else about that and you likely wont from what i hear. The story had some holes in it and did not address timelines correctly and left out pertinent information. Since we have not heard a thing from the NCAA or any other sources that an investigation is being launched, that says volumes to me. Sometimes journalism is not reliable as a source, not only that Yahoo has firmly said they would not turn over a shred of their findings to the NCAA, it was being done to undermine the NCAA as it currently stands today and they would not help them do their jobs.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact that this seems to keep happening at bama, regardless of how Saban is dealing with, it's happening over and over...lack. of. institutional. control.

:evil: get them jimmies rustled

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact that this seems to keep happening at bama, regardless of how Saban is dealing with, it's happening over and over...lack. of. institutional. control.

:evil: get them jimmies rustled

Proof doesnt seem to be something that is falling out of the trees in Alabama though, so its nice for Rumors to swirl but then they always do when titles are being won.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have been a bit rough on him, but its the internet, either get thicker skin or dont post is my motto. My comments are not out of line in the context of what is known at this time. We know it was less than $300 dollars that was borrowed(according to more than one source) and that it was repaid before the first game. In the article you posted it talks of AJ Green, but Fails to mention that his suspension was not one game(like in the article) but I believe 4 games and that Marcel Dareus of Alabama was also held out of two games the same year due to a similar situation. Now my question is this, If Saban is willing to do the right thing in that situation and a couple of others that i have not mentioned here, why would he bend the rules for this one? No different in that the team is vying for a title and clearly they could have won without Dix in the first two games of this year or even a loss doesnt put them out of contention early in the year. People that are on the outside dont see that Saban is a disciplinarian and that is why we dont feel this will be more than a suspension offense and the coach may get a slight show cause for his actions. I think Sabans record speaks for itself on the discipline issues, but to each his own, if you or anyone doesnt feel that way, clearly they are not paying attention.

As for the incident a few weeks ago, we have not heard anything else about that and you likely wont from what i hear. The story had some holes in it and did not address timelines correctly and left out pertinent information. Since we have not heard a thing from the NCAA or any other sources that an investigation is being launched, that says volumes to me. Sometimes journalism is not reliable as a source, not only that Yahoo has firmly said they would not turn over a shred of their findings to the NCAA, it was being done to undermine the NCAA as it currently stands today and they would not help them do their jobs.

You misunderstood the Green anecdote. By game 1, the NCAA hadn't ruled. So UGa kept him out. The next week or so they hit him for 4 games (for a $900 jersey ... so the amount of money is not relevant). Had UGa not kept him out, they would have had to forfeit game 1 (although I think we lost to OKSU anyway). What the article is saying is that if Bama knew anything about this, even if they were looking into it, and they played him, $300 and paid back notwithstanding, the NCAA will forfeit that game. Now, as the article said, there is no evidence of this, and I agree with you that Saban would not have knowingly done that ... All-american or not, there would be no reason to do that. You better hope that is the case.

Everyone knows Saban is a disciplinarian ... there is no secret to that. The problem some of you have is the belief that it insulates you from any wrong doing. He can be the most bad ass disciplinarian ever, and if the shit keeps happening (assuming both reports are correct, which they may not be), at some point it won't matter. You can't just say, we have a badass at the top, don't look at what everyone else is doing.

I am not making any conclusions, but we don't need to here. We are just throwing out thoughts. I don't hope for Bama to go down. I want to beat them in Atlanta.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof doesnt seem to be something that is falling out of the trees in Alabama though, so its nice for Rumors to swirl but then they always do when titles are being won.
With all due respect, this recent incident isn't rumor. You have an AA player out indefinitely, and a coach currently suspended. Something happened here. And, it has nothing to do with envy of your titles.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You misunderstood the Green anecdote. By game 1, the NCAA hadn't ruled. So UGa kept him out. The next week or so they hit him for 4 games (for a $900 jersey ... so the amount of money is not relevant). Had UGa not kept him out, they would have had to forfeit game 1 (although I think we lost to OKSU anyway). What the article is saying is that if Bama knew anything about this, even if they were looking into it, and they played him, $300 and paid back notwithstanding, the NCAA will forfeit that game. Now, as the article said, there is no evidence of this, and I agree with you that Saban would not have knowingly done that ... All-american or not, there would be no reason to do that. You better hope that is the case.

Everyone knows Saban is a disciplinarian ... there is no secret to that. The problem some of you have is the belief that it insulates you from any wrong doing. He can be the most bad ass disciplinarian ever, and if the shit keeps happening (assuming both reports are correct, which they may not be), at some point it won't matter. You can't just say, we have a badass at the top, don't look at what everyone else is doing.

I am not making any conclusions, but we don't need to here. We are just throwing out thoughts. I don't hope for Bama to go down. I want to beat them in Atlanta.

While I agree that the NCAA is suspect to fly off on a tangent on a whim with no rhyme or reason to their actions, I also trust that had Alabama known about this prior to any game, Dix would have been suspended. I firmly believe that Saban would have sat Dix no matter the consequences at any point this season upon his knowing about this situation. The NCAA does have guidelines the school has to follow in order to suspend a player for a game or indefinitely and i am sure the University abided by these to the extent of the rules. My complaint with the posters on here is the flippant way they toss in that the University knew from the start, when all I know about Saban says he could not possibly and would never bend his own code of ethics for such a thing. It is not impossible for me to be wrong on this, but in light of past situations and more important games being played where players were sat, I highly doubt I am wrong.

And i know this current situation has proof, but the comment was more to the other incident that seems to be lacking in any proof at all, thus rendering it just another rumor, which always swirl around title winning teams it seems.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that the NCAA is suspect to fly off on a tangent on a whim with no rhyme or reason to their actions, I also trust that had Alabama known about this prior to any game, Dix would have been suspended. I firmly believe that Saban would have sat Dix no matter the consequences at any point this season upon his knowing about this situation.
I can't imagine anything other than this.

My complaint with the posters on here is the flippant way they toss in that the University knew from the start, when all I know about Saban says he could not possibly and would never bend his own code of ethics for such a thing. It is not impossible for me to be wrong on this, but in light of past situations and more important games being played where players were sat, I highly doubt I am wrong.

And i know this current situation has proof, but the comment was more to the other incident that seems to be lacking in any proof at all, thus rendering it just another rumor, which always swirl around title winning teams it seems.
If you don't mind, I'll quote a genius here on this forum:
I may have been a bit rough on him, but its the internet, either get thicker skin or dont post is my motto.
It goes with the territory of being no. 1. I've said this before ... if UGa had won 3 of 4 NCs, most of my responses here would be Fuck you, 3 out of 4!! Eat it, you face!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine anything other than this.

If you don't mind, I'll quote a genius here on this forum:
It goes with the territory of being no. 1. I've said this before ... if UGa had won 3 of 4 NCs, most of my responses here would be Fuck you, 3 out of 4!! Eat it, you face!

Which is why I am still here and posting in defense of my University, even in the face of the evidence against the two individuals in question. I have thick skin and can withstand the barrage of comments. I try to act like i have been there and done that, which is why i dont throw out comments like the one you suggested. I have been an Alabama fan since I was really young, middle aged now, so I have seen the best and worst of times. I am happy for these time, but know they are not long lasting. Time will tell on this situation, but nothing else has hard core proof, so this situation is the only one at hand currently, in my opinion.

filupsun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For someone stating people need thicker skin you should practice what you preach.
Let’s be clear here all I stated was my opinion and since you bit I will further explain. Do I think saben handed the money to these kids himself, no. Do I think saben knew what directly was going on, no. My point here is in bama fans eyes the man walks on water pays attention to detail and runs a tight ship. If hes so disciplined about the up and up within his program how come he waits until the media picks up on the story? I would think for a man as smart as he is he would have noticed the Rolex, designer cloths, and new cell phone for examples. I hear fans say it goes on everywhere but saben is the best at policing it. So by your own words you agree that it happens but are naive enough to think saben knows nothing. Now that’s redneck thinking.
As far as your comments about the r*pe in South bend you should do some research also. When the school was made aware of the situation like saben they delt with it and no charges were filed because there wasn’t enough evidence and the only claim that was found to hold water was he groped her chest a far cry from r*pe. As to manti and his fake girlfriend he got played but I don’t see how that has anything to do with receiving benefits. Mantis bad decision although a bonehead one is the type of bad choices I can forgive. As far as evert the only thing I can say is at least he went to class and how many bama players can actually spell Alabama. Only a couple schools in the country will do what ND did about cheating most other schools would reward it.

asshat

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For someone stating people need thicker skin you should practice what you preach.
Let’s be clear here all I stated was my opinion and since you bit I will further explain. Do I think saben handed the money to these kids himself, no. Do I think saben knew what directly was going on, no. My point here is in bama fans eyes the man walks on water pays attention to detail and runs a tight ship. If hes so disciplined about the up and up within his program how come he waits until the media picks up on the story? I would think for a man as smart as he is he would have noticed the Rolex, designer cloths, and new cell phone for examples. I hear fans say it goes on everywhere but saben is the best at policing it. So by your own words you agree that it happens but are naive enough to think saben knows nothing. Now that’s redneck thinking.
As far as your comments about the r*pe in South bend you should do some research also. When the school was made aware of the situation like saben they delt with it and no charges were filed because there wasn’t enough evidence and the only claim that was found to hold water was he groped her chest a far cry from r*pe. As to manti and his fake girlfriend he got played but I don’t see how that has anything to do with receiving benefits. Mantis bad decision although a bonehead one is the type of bad choices I can forgive. As far as evert the only thing I can say is at least he went to class and how many bama players can actually spell Alabama. Only a couple schools in the country will do what ND did about cheating most other schools would reward it.

asshat

He didn't wait for the media to pick up on the story. It was self reported after Alabama learned of it over the weekend.

Alabama has a pretty high graduation rate since Saban has come. But lol @ bringing academics into it.