• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: A's @ M's, May 23-25: The Greatest Series

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont even thing this past one is the main problem. It should have been better but doing nothing the previous two offseasons I think is providing the greater impact or lack there of.

Imagine last years team with Taijuan Walker and Kolten which required an extra what 20 mil when you were already spending nothing?

That stuff kills
I thought I used plural? :scratch:

:dhd::dhd::dhd:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy! Cellar! Right there with the Orioles, Tigers and Royals. But you know what the difference is with these teams though? They didn't have much expectations coming into the season. Hell, even the Rangers. :L

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side!

I was at the game yesterday and was sitting on the first base side and saw Julio's steal of second - I don't remember the inning - and man his speed is legit.

The only thing that worries me is that idk what it is, but to me it seemed obvious he was going to go for the steal. If the pitcher would've thrown to first on that steal, Julio would've easily been picked off or thrown out at second by the first baseman.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If almost getting swept at home by Oakland isnt enough I dont know what it is. There should be hard conversations right now but its the Mariners so Ive come to expect nothing
Well on the radio Jerry was asked about making a trade to bolster the offense. It just made me think since they are both most likely fired this off-season if they don’t make the playoffs why would Jerry be allowed to make one trade, which led me to why would Servais keep his job if Jerry gets fired. So it begs the question of why are they keeping their jobs. Someone has to fall on the sword for this terrible start and it seems pointless to fire a hitting coach.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most depressing thing about this season is that I don't think Stanton will allow Dipoto to actually spend money unless the team shows promise.

The only promise that this season has given us is that we're going to miss the playoffs again.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well on the radio Jerry was asked about making a trade to bolster the offense. It just made me think since they are both most likely fired this off-season if they don’t make the playoffs why would Jerry be allowed to make one trade, which led me to why would Servais keep his job if Jerry gets fired. So it begs the question of why are they keeping their jobs. Someone has to fall on the sword for this terrible start and it seems pointless to fire a hitting coach.
Serious question for you or anyone else who reads this, is there anything that can be done to fix this season?

As much as I dislike Servais, I think firing him - this season - would likely just make the problem worse. Really this falls on Dipoto. Servais can't help the fact that we've had probably half a dozen guys in the lineup who can't even hit their weight.

I also wonder what the hell is up with Winker. My initial concern was that he wasn't able to hit lefties, but he's not hitting righties either. I think I read that he's in the 9th percentile in hard hit balls. How does someone regress that badly?

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont even thing this past one is the main problem. It should have been better but doing nothing the previous two offseasons I think is providing the greater impact or lack there of.

Imagine last years team with Taijuan Walker and Kolten which required an extra what 20 mil when you were already spending nothing?

That stuff kills
All the more reason I'm wondering what they're REALLY planning with this team...What cities are vying for a team, and who's okay with a relocated one?

There may not even be rumors floating around about the idea, but you don't need the first Major League movie to know something's up.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wait for the off-season to fire them? The sooner, the better. By rights, Servais should not have lasted THIS long, and the fact that Dipoto has allowed this team to "blue screen" every year is inexcusable.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question for you or anyone else who reads this, is there anything that can be done to fix this season?

As much as I dislike Servais, I think firing him - this season - would likely just make the problem worse. Really this falls on Dipoto. Servais can't help the fact that we've had probably half a dozen guys in the lineup who can't even hit their weight.

I also wonder what the hell is up with Winker. My initial concern was that he wasn't able to hit lefties, but he's not hitting righties either. I think I read that he's in the 9th percentile in hard hit balls. How does someone regress that badly?
Depends on what you consider fixed, getting to .500, a winning season or playoffs. I personally think the playoffs are out of the question which I still think is the determine factor for a regime that has been in power this long. I think they could still get to .500. They have “talent” but problem is they have fallen so far behind that they are putting themselves in that echelon of being early sellers.

Issue with Servais is that he is tied in with Jerry. I don’t see how you can fire Jerry but keep Scott when his record is the same. And they are in basement right now so I don’t see how letting the manager go would make it worse. I think worst case scenario is Jerry needs to blame someone and let’s Scott go, but then again that is essentially him blaming himself. But as I said back when they got extended not this last time the one before, the Mariners ownership aren’t real sports guys with where the payroll is in a year where their GM sold everyone an ALCS was the minimum goal.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking earlier they should bring back the trident logo but have it look like its sticking into the player so from day one the fork can be stuck in this team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the end of the Warriors - Mavs game (and I rarely watch NBA) and they were talking about how well the Mavs did to redo their team and one announcer made a great point which applies to the offseason of the M's. He said no matter how well Mavs did by upsetting two higher ranked teams they can't start next years challenge by this years results. Meaning to me in Mariners terms, we won 90 games so we are close and just need to build from there but in reality we are lacking in talent in many positions and that is where the restructure begins. Very valid point that isn't used in sports by GM's. Results of a year and actual team talent are two different things. Good teams know that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyman-
Based on other Mariners giveaways, JP Sears becomes a star. Mariners’ throw-ins have a history of succeeding. Sears came with another for reliever Nick Rumbelow. Freddy Peralta went for Adam Lind, Ryan Yarborough for Drew Smyly (he never pitched for them), early Cy Young contender Pablo Lopez for David Phelps and Chris Taylor for Zach Lee. The Mariners lead the league in churning.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex-Mariner who couldn't get an out the week he was with us...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wait for the off-season to fire them? The sooner, the better. By rights, Servais should not have lasted THIS long, and the fact that Dipoto has allowed this team to "blue screen" every year is inexcusable.
Jerry for 100% sure needs to go kind of ASAP or he needs to be neutered in his abilities that he can do as president of baseball operations. From a baseball business perspective, a lameduck (or possibly going to fire) GM is difficult to manage. He is now the guy for trades and signings unless the thus far gutless ownership steps in. And even then I am not sure how it works. I know teams make trades then send it to the MLB but does that mean the majority owner can say no there? Or is it easier just to fire Jerry and bring in an interim GM that Stanton contractually has to sign off on any baseball move.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking earlier they should bring back the trident logo but have it look like its sticking into the player so from day one the fork can be stuck in this team.
Funny you should mention that. I did something like that with a mix of logos a few years ago.

MarinersLogo4.png

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re simply going to have to play better,” he said Thursday morning during the weekly Jerry Dipoto Show on Seattle Sports Station. “… You’re always looking to add and reevaluate. We reevaluate roughly every day. You’re trying to find the best combination of players to lead you to the promised land or to championship baseball, and right now, we don’t feel like we’re particularly close.”

Who's fault is it that the team isn't close? It's been SEVEN YEARS, why does anyone believe a word from this lamedick used car salesman? He's so smug for a guy who has failed for SEVEN YEARS and is at the bottom of the division with another season pissed away before June.

As a leader you always have to be proactive and push forward or you are just coasting and wasting everyone's time. He's not a gm, he's just a faker who has got away with it for years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re simply going to have to play better,” he said Thursday morning during the weekly Jerry Dipoto Show on Seattle Sports Station. “… You’re always looking to add and reevaluate. We reevaluate roughly every day. You’re trying to find the best combination of players to lead you to the promised land or to championship baseball, and right now, we don’t feel like we’re particularly close.”

Who's fault is it that the team isn't close? It's been SEVEN YEARS, why does anyone believe a word from this lamedick used car salesman? He's so smug for a guy who has failed for SEVEN YEARS and is at the bottom of the division with another season pissed away before June.

As a leader you always have to be proactive and push forward or you are just coasting and wasting everyone's time. He's not a gm, he's just a faker who has got away with it for years.
I think any time he speaks there should be one of those cartoon clouds above him that says; "12 years, 1 playoff". You know like a warning label they use on products.