• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Fall League 2015

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okert is more in the Affeldt/Osich mold. He was a starter in college, can go multiple innings and get anybody out. Still needs work in AAA though, he lost his mechanics last year. Also, not saying McCormick is ready, but his path to the bigs will be as a LOOGY.

I like Okert, and think he will be on the team within the next year. He did lose some mechanics last season. He was great for stretches, but had a couple of games that really went south on him. (As most relievers do.)

He allowed 26 earned runs on the season, with a 3.82 ERA. And yet, he gave up 15 of those runs in only four games, two in May that really screwed up his stats. He still strikes out over a batter an inning. But his GO/AO ratio went upside down last season, as it was 0.83, meaning, I think, that he was getting the ball up far more than he had in the past.

Okert is only 24, and should have a future with the Giants. He will most likely begin the season in Sacramento.

This is from a year ago:

Bernie Pleskoff's scouting profile: Steven Okert

This is from last March 2015

Giants: Drop in arm angle raises Steven Okert’s profile

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Okert, and think he will be on the team within the next year. He did lose some mechanics last season. He was great for stretches, but had a couple of games that really went south on him. (As most relievers do.)

He allowed 26 earned runs on the season, with a 3.82 ERA. And yet, he gave up 15 of those runs in only four games, two in May that really screwed up his stats. He still strikes out over a batter an inning. But his GO/AO ratio went upside down last season, as it was 0.83, meaning, I think, that he was getting the ball up far more than he had in the past.

Okert is only 24, and should have a future with the Giants. He will most likely begin the season in Sacramento.

This is from a year ago:

Bernie Pleskoff's scouting profile: Steven Okert

This is from last March 2015

Giants: Drop in arm angle raises Steven Okert’s profile

I f'n love you guys! I get more info from this board about the Giants then anywhere else and y'all know exactly where to look for the geekiest stuff, love it!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I f'n love you guys! I get more info from this board about the Giants then anywhere else and y'all know exactly where to look for the geekiest stuff, love it!

:yo:

We're only here to help....or give you a hard time.

All your alts belong to tzill

Make sure you are paid up with filo

Where in the LA area are you? My wife and I were in South Pasadena for 28 years, and now live near Modesto. Have you been to many minor league games in SoCal? My son and I went to every stadium in SoCal one summer when he was at UCLA. Lancaster, High Desert, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Lake Elsinore, etc. Quite an experience.

He got excited because High Desert (near Victorville) was having Dollar Beer Night! Until he discovered the Dollar Beers were served in Dixie Cups. Being an engineer, he got out his phone calculator and calculated the cost per ounce between the dollar beers and the regular beers, and the regular beers were cheaper per ounce. He felt cheated! Life!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just doin my job......

Wait, you're telling me I'm NOT getting paid for this? Alright, no more freebies

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Fall League Top 20 Prospects

MLB.com rates the top 20 prospects in the AFL.

10. Christian Arroyo, SS, Scottsdale (Giants No. 2 prospect): In the same class with Smith as a hitter, Arroyo is a line-drive machine who offers less power potential but more defensive value. Though he lacks the quickness to stay at shortstop, he has enough athletic ability and arm strength to fit at second base, third base or in the outfield.
MLB ETA: 2017

16. Mac Williamson, OF, Scottsdale (Giants No. 13 prospect): He made his big league debut in September and looked the part more than most Fall Leaguers at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Williamson does a nice job of working counts to get to his solid power, moves well for his size and has a right-field arm.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Fall League Top 20 Prospects

MLB.com rates the top 20 prospects in the AFL.

10. Christian Arroyo, SS, Scottsdale (Giants No. 2 prospect): In the same class with Smith as a hitter, Arroyo is a line-drive machine who offers less power potential but more defensive value. Though he lacks the quickness to stay at shortstop, he has enough athletic ability and arm strength to fit at second base, third base or in the outfield.

16. Mac Williamson, OF, Scottsdale (Giants No. 13 prospect): He made his big league debut in September and looked the part more than most Fall Leaguers at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Williamson does a nice job of working counts to get to his solid power, moves well for his size and has a right-field arm.
The MLB prospect ranking are kinda whack.

I am OK with their top 3 for the Giants, but after that, I dont know what they are smoking. Coonrod at #5? Blackburn at #21? Williamson at #13? Parker unranked?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Beede is not a top 100?

These top prospect lists are total bunk.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLB prospect ranking are kinda whack.

I am OK with their top 3 for the Giants, but after that, I dont know what they are smoking. Coonrod at #5? Blackburn at #21? Williamson at #13? Parker unranked?

Yeah, admittedly I'm not an intense follower of our farm system, but I had never heard of some of what they call our top 30.

Jalen Miller #7 hit all of .551 OPS in the rookie league, in almost 200 PA's. But he is 18.

Chris Shaw, #8, 21, hit for .551 OPS in Salem in 200 PA's. Really? #8?

An update from MLB.com would be nice.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Beede is not a top 100?

These top prospect lists are total bunk.

Yep. Nobody in the top 100. But Keury Mella, well down our list when we had him, is #94.

:crazy::gaah::scratch::noidea::L

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, admittedly I'm not an intense follower of our farm system, but I had never heard of some of what they call our top 30.

Jalen Miller #7 hit all of .551 OPS in the rookie league, in almost 200 PA's. But he is 18.

Chris Shaw, #8, 21, hit for .551 OPS in Salem in 200 PA's. Really? #8?

An update from MLB.com would be nice.

You were looking in the wrong column, sir. That was his SLG%. His 12 homeruns led the league, and he played half a season. Shaw is the real deal.

Miller is up there on potential alone. I agree that it's too high.

Coonrod is a legit prospect as well. He has a great fastball, probably behind only Black in the entire system. He is a converted starter, last year was his first year as a full-time starter. I think 5 is too high, but he's a fringe top-10 guy.

Think Crick is way too high as well, and Blackburn needs to be in the top 10.

I think these ranking are much more potential based, and don't take performance into account as much as I would.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were looking in the wrong column, sir. That was his SLG%. His 12 homeruns led the league, and he played half a season. Shaw is the real deal.

Coonrod is a legit prospect as well. He has a great fastball, probably behind only Black in the entire system. He is a converted starter, last year was his first year as a full-time starter. I think 5 is too high, but he's a fringe top-10 guy.

I think these ranking are much more potential based, and don't take performance into account as much as I would.

You are correct, for Shaw. His OPS was .911, not .551. My bad.

But Miller's was indeed .551. But he is 18, so he gets a pass. But, still, #7?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the worst mistakes is Chase Johnson at number 28. Ryder Jones and Dylan Davis still being ranked. MLB pipeline has like 3 guys doing the work for all 30 teams. You don't get the same type of knowledge of each system, and they tend to rely on first impressions of guys. They really need "experts" (for lack of a better word) for each team to get the best analysis. At this point, it's just a random collection of players. They show bias to certain teams with "better" prospects and can't put the time in for each team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have not put together a list for myself yet for this off season, and I am OK with putting Coonrod as a fringy top 10, as you stated. My point is that putting him at 5 is simply ign'nt. And Blackburn at 21 makes no sense, what-so-ever.

Fox at 4 is a bit high, but I get it. I am OK with that.

Crick still has a super high ceiling, so I do not have a huge problem with him at 6, even though he does have a very high crash probability at this point.

Miller at 7 is too high, too early, but he does have a VERY high ceiling and is just a kid. Agree to disagree on his rating (not with you, but with the author)

Shaw at 8 sounds about right. Maybe a bit low.

Okert and Osich at 9 and 10 is really only controversial because they are relievers. They are both high-end bully prospects.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is time to start putting my top 10 list together...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, for Shaw. His OPS was .911, not .551. My bad.

But Miller's was indeed .551. But he is 18, so he gets a pass. But, still, #7?

Yeah I don't like Miller much in the top 10 right now. I like his game and he was a pleasant surprise in the draft (many thought he was committed to going to school). But I have a hard time ranking him above guys who have actually preformed. Meanwhile Austin Slater has hit at every level and is ranked 18th. He may not have the tools of Miller, but he's hitting. For the time being, I'd rank Slater higher than Miller.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't like Miller much in the top 10 right now. I like his game and he was a pleasant surprise in the draft (many thought he was committed to going to school). But I have a hard time ranking him above guys who have actually preformed. Meanwhile Austin Slater has hit at every level and is ranked 18th. He may not have the tools of Miller, but he's hitting. For the time being, I'd rank Slater higher than Miller.
Same deal with Fox.

I like him, but I am not sure I would put him in my top 10 just yet.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okert and Osich at 9 and 10 is really only controversial because they are relievers. They are both high-end bully prospects.

Are both of them ahead of Ray Black (#19)? Or is Black lower because he is allegedly injury-prone?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are both of them ahead of Ray Black (#19)? Or is Black lower because he is allegedly injury-prone?
I am not going to pretend to understand their rankings, however...

Maybe because they are lefties and Black is a rightie with injury concerns?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yo:

We're only here to help....or give you a hard time.

All your alts belong to tzill

Make sure you are paid up with filo

Where in the LA area are you? My wife and I were in South Pasadena for 28 years, and now live near Modesto. Have you been to many minor league games in SoCal? My son and I went to every stadium in SoCal one summer when he was at UCLA. Lancaster, High Desert, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Lake Elsinore, etc. Quite an experience.

He got excited because High Desert (near Victorville) was having Dollar Beer Night! Until he discovered the Dollar Beers were served in Dixie Cups. Being an engineer, he got out his phone calculator and calculated the cost per ounce between the dollar beers and the regular beers, and the regular beers were cheaper per ounce. He felt cheated! Life!

I have spent the majority of my adult life in the San Fernando Valley as that was where I anchored my business after college but moved to the Temecula area a couple years ago when my wife and I had kids and subsequently moved on from my 501c3 and took a pay/position cut to be closer to my young daughters. So I check out the Lake Elsinore Storm on days that a) I can and b) when the SJ Giants are in town. I make the trek to Chavez Latrine when the Giants are in town at least once a year as my wife (and her entire family) is a die hard Doyer fan. I told her I finally found her flaw...but it's a borderline deal breaker for me. She's lucky she's hot.