• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2018)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Anderson, but I am not EXCITED about him. Is his ceiling really any higher than Suarez’? Is he more than a potential 3?

I suppose he is rated higher than Luciano based on proximity and the fact that Luciano has not played yet. I can’t really argue against that.

I agree. I think the guy to be excited for is Webb. Suarez and Anderson are pretty comparable, IMO. Solid 4's, could have a 3 ceiling if everything goes perfect for them. Both guys have average stuff across the board (unlike someone like Blach/Stratton who have maybe one average pitch). Webb has three above average pitches.

I'm not really a proximity guy personally, I prefer just talent. So with that in mind, I'm probably ranking Luciano third, but he's really got a shot to be first based on talent.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think the guy to be excited for is Webb. Suarez and Anderson are pretty comparable, IMO. Solid 4's, could have a 3 ceiling if everything goes perfect for them. Both guys have average stuff across the board (unlike someone like Blach/Stratton who have maybe one average pitch). Webb has three above average pitches.

I'm not really a proximity guy personally, I prefer just talent. So with that in mind, I'm probably ranking Luciano third, but he's really got a shot to be first based on talent.
Re Anderson, from the article:

He may not have the velocity to be a No. 1 starter, but his ability to work deep into games combined with his strong secondary offerings project him to be a solid mid-rotation starter. Anderson could be ready as soon as early next season.

Re Webb:

As with many pitchers returning from Tommy John, Webb’s command wavered at times, but that should tighten up as he moves away from the surgery. His arrival in the big leagues could come as soon as 2020, and he is likely to be added to the Giants’ 40-man roster this November to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two Giants' prospects won the Rawlings Gold Glove. Bryce Johnson and Logan Baldwin, two outfield prospects. What's more impressive is that it's only one per position across all the minor leagues.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two Giants' prospects won the Rawlings Gold Glove. Bryce Johnson and Logan Baldwin, two outfield prospects. What's more impressive is that it's only one per position across all the minor leagues.
That is pretty impressive. How do they determine it, considering any many players have to be evaluated?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is pretty impressive. How do they determine it, considering any many players have to be evaluated?

No idea, none of the articles I've read have mentioned. I'd guess it's more data-driven, but it could have just been from managerial suggestions.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heliot Ramos is doing really well for himself in Puerto Rico winter league. Has a hit in all 4 games so far:

6-15, 4 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 2 K

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos is now batting .324/.342/.595 in 37 PAs in Puerto Rico. This league's talent levels is similar to the upper-minors, so definitely a good showing for the kid. Also made this catch

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos is now batting .324/.342/.595 in 37 PAs in Puerto Rico. This league's talent levels is similar to the upper-minors, so definitely a good showing for the kid. Also made this catch

I would think, should he keep this up, that he'll start 2019 in San Jose.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some minor leaguers were released in the last two weeks. A few were a bit surprising. I've bolded the one that seemed strange:

Pitchers: Aneudy Acosta, Ryan Koziol, Domenic Mazza, Jacob McCasland, Orleny Quiroz, Dan Slania
Catchers: Cody Brickhouse
Infielders: Wander J. Franco
Outfielders: Nick Hill

Koziol had a pretty good season in 2018 with Augusta (albeit as a 24 year old and dealing with injuries during the season). Slania got stuck in Richmond but pitched well. I thought he deserved another chance at AAA. If that happens, it will be with another organization.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some minor leaguers were released in the last two weeks. A few were a bit surprising. I've bolded the one that seemed strange:

Pitchers: Aneudy Acosta, Ryan Koziol, Domenic Mazza, Jacob McCasland, Orleny Quiroz, Dan Slania
Catchers: Cody Brickhouse
Infielders: Wander J. Franco
Outfielders: Nick Hill

Koziol had a pretty good season in 2018 with Augusta (albeit as a 24 year old and dealing with injuries during the season). Slania got stuck in Richmond but pitched well. I thought he deserved another chance at AAA. If that happens, it will be with another organization.

Wasn't Slania in the Arizona Fall League recently? Usually those guys stick.

And didn't Mazza toss a no-hitter last year (or two years ago)? Isn't he the kid from Walnut Creek?

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/augusta-greenjackets-domenic-mazza-pitches-perfect-game/c-226487254

Seems like he was a low-A player. Just couldn't cut it at San Jose.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of a few more players that got released at the end of March:
Pitchers: Matt Brown, Garrett Christman, Dylan Dusek, Greg Jacknewitz
Catchers: Rob Calabrese, Tanner Murphy
Infielders: Trevor Abrams, Kelvin Beltre
Outfielders: Craig Gentry, Robinson Medrano

Most of these made sense, except for Dylan Dusek. I understand he was a lower round pick (27th round in 2018) but the dude had a great debut with the AZL Black team. In 9 appearances, he pitched 13.3 innings, gave up 9 hits, 3 earned runs and 5 walks against 18 strikeouts. That is good for a 2.02 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and 12.15 Ks/9. I don't understand that move. I hope he quickly latches on elsewhere.