• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are you ready?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
94-95 Jordan played, no championship (lost to Orlando in the second round). It's not about options, it's about the claim that Jordan won the championship each of the last 6 seasons that he played with the Bulls.

Jordan didn't need options. He wasn't going anywhere as the highest paid player in league history until the GM forced his hand by dumping Phil.

He played 10 games before the playoffs. Are you seriously going to be that disingenuous?

Jordan was on a championship team getting paid more than any other player in history even to this day playing for a coach he liked. Why in the world would he leave?

Jordan making a common sense decision is different than Lebron making a common sense decision in what way?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played 10 games before the playoffs. Are you seriously going to be that disingenuous?

Jordan was on a championship team getting paid more than any other player in history even to this day playing for a coach he liked. Why in the world would he leave?

Jordan making a common sense decision is different than Lebron making a common sense decision in what way?

I never said Jordan would leave. In fact, I said he never would (for competition purposes). Lebron wasn't as strong-willed and went chasing short-cuts to rings, cheapens the accomplishments.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said Jordan would leave. In fact, I said he never would (for competition purposes). Lebron wasn't as strong-willed and went chasing short-cuts to rings, cheapens the accomplishments.

Yeah I know what you are saying. Your evidence doesn't make any sense. You are trying to claim that he would never have left Chicago because he was so strong willed he would never chase rings and use the evidence that he was already on a championship team when he became a free agent and that he couldn't get paid as much by any other team if he did leave. How in the world does that make sense to you?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know what you are saying. Your evidence doesn't make any sense. You are trying to claim that he would never have left Chicago because he was so strong willed he would never chase rings and use the evidence that he was already on a championship team when he became a free agent and that he couldn't get paid as much by any other team if he did leave. How in the world does that make sense to you?

I never argued anything about his free agent decisions. Clearly, he was making 2x of the next closest salary in the league in '96. Doesn't matter, he wasn't weak minded enough to chase rings as early in his career as Lebron did. End of your career, fine (many chase rings as their earning power diminishes).

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never argued anything about his free agent decisions. Clearly, he was making 2x of the next closest salary in the league in '96. Doesn't matter, he wasn't weak minded enough to chase rings as early in his career as Lebron did. End of your career, fine (many chase rings as their earning power diminishes).

Maybe LeBron didn't know about shopson's rules on how to properly conduct an NBA career. Did you mail him a copy?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe LeBron didn't know about shopson's rules on how to properly conduct an NBA career. Did you mail him a copy?

Lebron is a ring chaser and has failed at that many times. To even consider him as the GOAT is laughable for that reason alone.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to fan this fire, and this wasn't exactly free agency...but in 1988, Jordan did choose to resign to a new, eight year deal after getting beat in 5 by Detroit

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to fan this fire, and this wasn't exactly free agency...but in 1988, Jordan did choose to resign to a new, eight year deal after getting beat in 5 by Detroit

He was still under contract and the CBA was renegotiated that year. The very first free agent signing, as we understand free agency, happened in July on 1988. Jordan got nearly double what Chambers got despite not being a free agent. His 8 year 25 million contract was massive for the time.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was still under contract and the CBA was renegotiated that year. The very first free agent signing, as we understand free agency, happened in July on 1988. Jordan got nearly double what Chambers got despite not being a free agent. His 8 year 25 million contract was massive for the time.
Oh I know it wasn't free agency, but it's about the closest thing we have of a fact that Jordan would stick with the Bulls. The next probable thing may be him turning down the Knicks in free agency to stick with the Bulls in 96.

Going back to that 96 year, there were quite a few big names in free agency, and I think the only big one that moved was Shaq, and that was due to Orlando lowballing him. It's just a different era these days, and not necessarily something that I personally have a big problem with.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know it wasn't free agency, but it's about the closest thing we have of a fact that Jordan would stick with the Bulls. The next probable thing may be him turning down the Knicks in free agency to stick with the Bulls in 96.

Understood. That's why I don't care for mind reading especially when it comes to apples and oranges situations . Even if FA existed the circumstances were quite different. The 88 Bulls were a young team with a 23 year old Horace Grant and 23 year old Scottie Pippen. The 2009 Cavs were Lebron and a bunch of has beens and never weres. Shopson would have you believe that if the roles were reversed Jordan would have toughed it out with a terrible team despite having the option to play for a contender. Why? Because something something.

Going back to that 96 year, there were quite a few big names in free agency, and I think the only big one that moved was Shaq, and that was due to Orlando lowballing him. It's just a different era these days, and not necessarily something that I personally have a big problem with.

Sure. MJ was a 3 time champion playing his preferred coach and got the largest single year contract in NBA history, to this day. What possible incentive would he have have to leave? Leave for the Knicks and take a 30% pay cut?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shopson would have you believe that if the roles were reversed Jordan would have toughed it out with a terrible team despite having the option to play for a contender. Why? Because something something.

Jordan didn't feel entitled upon entry to the league, like poor baby Lebron.

Only Lebron has pulled these moves, it's not like it's prevalent throughout the league. The only other player that comes close is Durant, and he showed weakness with the move to Golden State as well IMO.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only Lebron has pulled these moves, it's not like it's prevalent throughout the league. The only other player that comes close is Durant, and he showed weakness with the move to Golden State as well IMO.

KD didn't come close though. What he did was even worse. He joined a team he couldn't beat, that were the 2x defending conference champs w/ the 2x League MVP. And while LeBron teamed up w/ 2 All Stars KD teamed up w/ 3.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you freaking kidding me? Wilt pulled the same shit 50 years ago. Except he had to do it via trades and he did it twice. Barkley did it. Durant obviously did it. I love how Durant only comes close in your world. If that doesn't betray your absurd bias I don't know what does.

You are so determined to attack Lebron you've given up on any semblance of rational thinking.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood. That's why I don't care for mind reading especially when it comes to apples and oranges situations . Even if FA existed the circumstances were quite different. The 88 Bulls were a young team with a 23 year old Horace Grant and 23 year old Scottie Pippen. The 2009 Cavs were Lebron and a bunch of has beens and never weres. Shopson would have you believe that if the roles were reversed Jordan would have toughed it out with a terrible team despite having the option to play for a contender. Why? Because something something.

Sure. MJ was a 3 time champion playing his preferred coach and got the largest single year contract in NBA history, to this day. What possible incentive would he have have to leave? Leave for the Knicks and take a 30% pay cut?
As for the former, I'm one to believe that if it came down to it, Jordan would of just ended up on the list of "best guys to never win a ring", but I'll readily admit that there's no proof to know that 100%.
As for the Knicks...as the story goes the bulls decided to resign Phil to a 1 year deal. Jordan's deal came up, and the Knicks tried to give him an offer of 25 mil per year, but the Bulls ultimately signed him to a 30 mil, 1 year contract

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD didn't come close though. What he did was even worse. He joined a team he couldn't beat, that were the 2x defending conference champs w/ the 2x League MVP. And while LeBron teamed up w/ 2 All Stars KD teamed up w/ 3.

I have no issue with either player doing what they did but if that is something that bothers you then KD should be considered far worse. He went to a 73 win team that was back to back champions.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with either player doing what they did but if that is something that bothers you then KD should be considered far worse. He went to a 73 win team that was back to back champions.

Wait a minute, who said it bothers me? All I did was state a fact. I really don't care that either player went to a better situation.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the former, I'm one to believe that if it came down to it, Jordan would of just ended up on the list of "best guys to never win a ring", but I'll readily admit that there's no proof to know that 100%.

I guess. One of the most competitive guys ever would just accept his fate and play for some middling team if had the chance to play for a ring? To each their own but no way I believe it.

As for the Knicks...as the story goes the bulls decided to resign Phil to a 1 year deal. Jordan's deal came up, and the Knicks tried to give him an offer of 25 mil per year, but the Bulls ultimately signed him to a 30 mil, 1 year contract

I thought it was 22 million but ok. Allegedly Jordan was ready to sign the deal, the initial Bulls offer was $18 million. Supposedly his agent gave the Bulls one hour to respond and they did.

That Time Michael Jordan Almost Joined The Knicks In 1996

We don't need to mythologize these guys. Jordan was an incredible player but he's a human being as well and maximizing his earning potential was just as important to him as everyone else.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute, who said it bothers me? All I did was state a fact. I really don't care that either player went to a better situation.

That was in reference to Shopson, not you.