• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Thunder for really realz a contender?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if they keep counting on Abrinas to hit shots to win games. They got something working though.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by real contender? If you're asking if they can beat a healthy Warriors team in a serious then no but if you're asking if they can beat most of the other teams excluding the warriors, i would say yes

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by real contender? If you're asking if they can beat a healthy Warriors team in a serious then no but if you're asking if they can beat most of the other teams excluding the warriors, i would say yes

Exactly what I was going to post.

Thunder, Bucks and Raptors probably the 3 teams best equipped to challenge GS.

But barring injury, we know what the result will be.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still maintain that the Warriors aren't the lock this year they have been the past couple of years but they are still the presumptive favorites.

But the Thunder could absolutely dethrone them. As could 3 or 4 other teams right now.

Long way to go and teams could look a lot different by season's end.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still maintain that the Warriors aren't the lock this year they have been the past couple of years but they are still the presumptive favorites.

But the Thunder could absolutely dethrone them. As could 3 or 4 other teams right now.

Nah.

You are basing that off what the disinterested Warriors look like today. Not what they will be in May and June.

They are more of a lock than they were last year. Maybe not quite as much as they were in 2017, but close.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.

You are basing that off what the disinterested Warriors look like today. Not what they will be in May and June.

They are more of a lock than they were last year. Maybe not quite as much as they were in 2017, but close.

I disagree with this. I think they are considerably LESS of a lock this year than last year much less 2017. At this point last year the Warriors were on a 65 win pace. This year they are on a 53 win pace. I get that it has become en vogue to believe that teams can just turn it on in the playoffs that really isn't historically true. The last team to win a title with fewer than 55 wins was the 2005 Heat. So it happens but it is pretty rare.

Of course the Warriors could completely turn things around tomorrow. But we are sneaking up on the half way point and so far they haven't shown themselves to be a cut above the rest of the field. Draymond has forgotten how to shoot which is a problem for that team.

So I'll stick with my view that the Warriors are still the likely favorite but rather than being a 90% favorite to win it, they are probably closer to a 64-70% favorite.

Of course if Boogie comes back and is close to his old dominant self that could change everything.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, Warriors are still favorites but the gap is as small as it's been this run. It wouldn't be the biggest shock ever if they don't cash another ring, but their chances are the highest.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this. I think they are considerably LESS of a lock this year than last year much less 2017. At this point last year the Warriors were on a 65 win pace. This year they are on a 53 win pace. I get that it has become en vogue to believe that teams can just turn it on in the playoffs that really isn't historically true. The last team to win a title with fewer than 55 wins was the 2005 Heat. So it happens but it is pretty rare.

Of course the Warriors could completely turn things around tomorrow. But we are sneaking up on the half way point and so far they haven't shown themselves to be a cut above the rest of the field. Draymond has forgotten how to shoot which is a problem for that team.

So I'll stick with my view that the Warriors are still the likely favorite but rather than being a 90% favorite to win it, they are probably closer to a 64-70% favorite.

Of course if Boogie comes back and is close to his old dominant self that could change everything.

Klay is also having his worst shooting year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. I still don't trust Russell Westbrook in those types of games. He's still got too much of that inefficient selfish streak in his game. You know what I'm talking about if you've watched. It's those games where the stat line looks like this guy is balling but you're watching the game and you realize "Huh. He's basically broken the offense and everyone else is just kinda going through the motions". Like I'm gonna have to actually see him overcome that before I'll ever say they can win it all.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys are overreacting to the moment, IMO.

We shall see in May.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are overreacting to the moment, IMO.

We shall see in May.

Overreacting to the moment in what way? Saying that they are still the favorites but less so than the previous seasons?

I think you are ignoring their actual play this year and just assuming that everything will be fine and they can just flip a switch in the playoffs. Historically that has been very hard to do.

If you want to continue to assume that the Warriors are the only team that can win the title this year, that's your choice. I simply disagree.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. I still don't trust Russell Westbrook in those types of games. He's still got too much of that inefficient selfish streak in his game. You know what I'm talking about if you've watched. It's those games where the stat line looks like this guy is balling but you're watching the game and you realize "Huh. He's basically broken the offense and everyone else is just kinda going through the motions". Like I'm gonna have to actually see him overcome that before I'll ever say they can win it all.

^^^This^^^
When things get tight, especially in the playoffs, he likes to play hero ball. It's something that he has done throughout his career.

He did it when he had arguably the 2nd best player on the planet, so I find it hard to believe that he's not going to revert back to hero ball for PG.

To be fair, he seems to genuinely like PG and the feeling seems to be mutual. I never got the feeling that he and KD were particularly close.

So, maybe because of that, he'll change his ways.

But like you said...I'll have to see it to believe it.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a work in progress to say the least. Couple games ago Westbrook went out with his 4th foul with 8 minutes left in the 3rd. At the time the Thunder were down 9. By the end of the quarter when he came back in they were up 12. Schroder and PG click, big time. There are going to be nights when Westbrook’s offense is needed, just hope watching all that from the bench makes him smarter, we will see. Westbrook leads the league in steals and George is 2nd, defense is what is getting it done, they don’t have to be the best offense right now.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone read that link?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone read that link?

Yes i read it and they are correct, falling in love with long range shots is a problem. George and Grant are the only 2 shooting above the league average from distance. They are a fun team to watch though and I’m excited to see where they can go. They have to get a shooter, somehow.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overreacting to the moment in what way? Saying that they are still the favorites but less so than the previous seasons?

I think you are ignoring their actual play this year and just assuming that everything will be fine and they can just flip a switch in the playoffs. Historically that has been very hard to do.

If you want to continue to assume that the Warriors are the only team that can win the title this year, that's your choice. I simply disagree.

Well, they started the year by destroying people. Then Curry and Dray got hurt, Dray and KD got in a fight and they were terrible for a couple weeks. So, yes, I am ignoring their play this year because the Warriors have proven that they can flip the switch. The season doesn't really start for them until April.

Since early season, they have coasted through a few games but have still been winning. And we haven't seen Cousins yet.

Is it impossible for someone else to win? No. But it will almost certainly take injuries/weird happenstance like 2016. So no. I am not going to get all excited about the Thunder or the Bucks. Because I don't think they can win. At least not this year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they started the year by destroying people. Then Curry and Dray got hurt, Dray and KD got in a fight and they were terrible for a couple weeks. So, yes, I am ignoring their play this year because the Warriors have proven that they can flip the switch. The season doesn't really start for them until April.

Since early season, they have coasted through a few games but have still been winning. And we haven't seen Cousins yet.

Is it impossible for someone else to win? No. But it will almost certainly take injuries/weird happenstance like 2016. So no. I am not going to get all excited about the Thunder or the Bucks. Because I don't think they can win. At least not this year.

And the Warriors got absolutely smoked tonight by the Lakers. At home.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Warriors got absolutely smoked tonight by the Lakers. At home.
I think we can all agree that the Ws are still the team with the best odds of winning the title, but the gap between them and a couple other teams is much smaller this year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that the Ws are still the team with the best odds of winning the title, but the gap between them and a couple other teams is much smaller this year.

That is just it. We clearly don't agree.

If the Warriors are playing like this in May, then the gap will have closed. I will be absolutely shocked if they are.